Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

Quote from: Dusty Bottoms on February 21, 2017, 11:48:13 AM
Quote from: martin88nyc on February 20, 2017, 02:30:57 PM
Hacksaw Ridge(best movie of the year) and Silence(don't know what to think,  dramatic and at times very moving but then again perverted in a way. Did Japanese villagers really didn't know that Jesus was God and had an inadequate or ever a tiny understanding of Christianity? In my opinion a wasted opportunity to show the real Kakure Kirishitan but then again it was based on a book. Does anyone know how closely does the movie follow the story-line of the book.

It is a difficult, engrossing, but ultimately disappointing (to me) book.  The movie was incredibly faithful to it, for better and worse, with some small but significant exceptions.

I talk extensively about both the movie book here:  http://catholicmovieguy.com/2017/01/27/126/.  I also did a podcast on Hacksaw Ridge that you might enjoy: http://catholicmovieguy.com/2016/11/07/catholic-movie-guy-podcast-episode-4-hacksaw-ridge-top-5-war-films/.

After seeing Hacksaw for a second time, I wonder if it does not present a confusing theological message.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Bernadette

:lol: That was good, Louis.
My Lord and my God.

Dusty Bottoms

Quote from: Heinrich on March 02, 2017, 08:01:15 PM

After seeing Hacksaw for a second time, I wonder if it does not present a confusing theological message.

Hmmm.  Maybe.  I hope to watch it again soon.  But my recollection is it was more a celebration of Desmond's fortitude and charity toward others than an affirmation of the correctness of his moral theology.

Gerard

I saw Logan today.

Brutal, compelling. Big themes, life, death, sacrifice, loss, fleeting opportunities to love.

A tour de force by Patrick Stewart as well as Hugh Jackman and the young Dafne Keen.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

PerEvangelicaDicta

Don't laugh... Sunday movie night = Lady and the Tramp.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Bernadette

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on March 10, 2017, 11:40:11 PM
Don't laugh... Sunday movie night = Lady and the Tramp.

I love this movie.  :beer:
My Lord and my God.

Chestertonian

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory

Not the one with johnny Depp

Withthe other guy

camt remember his name for the life of me
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Carleendiane

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 11, 2017, 06:53:20 PM

Withthe other guy

Gene wilder
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Carleendiane on March 11, 2017, 06:55:51 PM

Withthe other guy

Gene wilder
thats the one
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bernadette

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 11, 2017, 06:57:51 PM
Quote from: Carleendiane on March 11, 2017, 06:55:51 PM
With the other guy
can't remember his name for the life of me
Gene wilder
that's the one
I just love him in that movie. I watch it just for him, and the opening credits.  ;D  :popcorn:
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Road to Perdition with Tom Hanks. Excellent.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

martin88nyc

Silver Streak with Gene Wilder and a couple of french comedies with Gérard Depardieu. :)

Vertigo by Hitchcock
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

YeOldeFustilarians

Quote from: red solo cup on March 20, 2017, 04:44:03 AM
Road to Perdition with Tom Hanks. Excellent.

One of my all time favorites. Excellent, indeed.
Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.