Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

Quote from: martin88nyc on October 16, 2016, 10:01:02 AM
My favorite comedian. He was one of a kind. French comedies are best, IMO. Perhaps I have some french blood in me. ;)
This is one of his best roles. Here he played an rabbi impersonator. Very funny.
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5QAU63oVHE[/yt]
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

YeOldeFustilarians

Watched Hitchcock's Foreign Correspondent the other night.  Good, but I preferred his The 39 Steps as an espionage thriller.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: YeOldeFustilarians on October 19, 2016, 01:15:20 PM
Watched Hitchcock's Foreign Correspondent the other night.  Good, but I preferred his The 39 Steps as an espionage thriller.

Shadow of a Doubt is my favorite Hitchcock movie.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

YeOldeFustilarians

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 19, 2016, 02:11:02 PM

Shadow of a Doubt is my favorite Hitchcock movie.

I'll have to make a point to see it.  Rope is probably my favorite.  I'm a sucker for long takes, and Rope is all a single take; Hitchcock will occasionally zoom in on an actor's back-- that's him changing film reels.  The writing in Rope is among his best, and the tension he creates without any soundtrack is phenomenal.
Go thy ways, old Jack;

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Carleendiane

Favorite Alfred Hitchcock was"I Confess". About seal of the confessional.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

YeOldeFustilarians

Quote from: Carleendiane on October 19, 2016, 03:22:03 PM

I know that he once said that one of his primary influences for his subject matter was the fact that the Jesuits scared the hell out of him during school, and now it was his turn to scare the hell out of people.

I'm not sure how good of a Catholic he was, though on the other hand, English Catholic artists in particular seem to have a reputation for and propensity toward sordid storytelling and uncouth characters.  Might be more of a reflection of being thoroughly English than being a bad Catholic.
Go thy ways, old Jack;

YeOldeFustilarians

More Hitchcock tonight; this time it was Sabotage.  More of his pre-American work.  Quite good, and emblematically dark.

Go thy ways, old Jack;

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: Carleendiane on October 19, 2016, 03:22:03 PM

Yes, this was a good film. I enjoyed it also.

red solo cup

Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day-Lewis. Interesting choice having Russell Means play Chingachgook.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jacob

Quote from: red solo cup on October 21, 2016, 04:26:06 PM
Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day-Lewis. Interesting choice having Russell Means play Chingachgook.

I saw this in the theater when it first came out.  Excellent movie.  It is the movie that convinced me that DDL would have been perfect as Aragorn in LotR.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

martin88nyc

But no one beats Mortensen ;D
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

YeOldeFustilarians

Mortensen was too pretty, IMO.  I know it catches a lot of flack, but I think that Bakshi's Lord of the Rings is superior to Jackson's inasmuch as character portrayals are concerned.  Aragorn was too pretty, Gandalf was too grandfatherly.   Being a combination of the first book and a half, Bakshi's vision is heavily abridged and incomplete, but the dialogue is more or less lifted right from the book, and it's free from Jackson's goofy deviations from the story, like Faramir being tempted by the ring or Samwise being sent away from Frodo (not to mention the imposition of Arwen who, though present in the histories, is not in the trilogy!).  Alas, neither versions include the too oft-neglected Glorfindel nor the enigmatic Tom Bombadil.

I think Jackson's vision was overall commendable, engaging, and the most complete rendition of LotR that we're to see short of an HBO series (overall it's better than Bakshi's)--  and I'm a proud owner of the extended version blu-ray box set, but it's far from perfect.

Here's a brief clip of Aragorn according to Bakshi's rendition:

ETA: Mods, the link would not post as https.  Is this WAD?
Go thy ways, old Jack;

YeOldeFustilarians

Anyways, the last movie I watched was Hitchock's Secret Agent.  Told you more was coming!  Excellent, as usual.  Probably better than Sabotage (barely) and better than Foreign Correspondent, still trailing behind The 39 Steps though, which is more or less my standard for Hitchock espionage thrillers now.
Go thy ways, old Jack;

Kaesekopf

Right, https doesn't work.  Gotta be http

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.