Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiero of Syracuse

Jumanji. Yeah that movie.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

piabee

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Jacob

The Martian, with Matt Damon as astronaut Mark Watney.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Kaesekopf

How was it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

MilesChristi

Quote from: Jacob on October 04, 2015, 10:08:08 AM
The Martian, with Matt Damon as astronaut Mark Watney.
Was that movie just basically Spoiler Origins?
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Jacob

The Martian is a quality production with entertaining performances from the ensemble cast.  Matt Damon's performance as Mark Watney is excellent.

The special effects are excellent as well.  The space stuff is maybe a little fakey with CGI rather than taking a camera up in NASA's vomit comet plane to do zero-g scenes, but overall, it's great work.  There's only one bit that did not work for me as far as serious science fiction, but that's Hollywood. :)  The Mars stuff is mind-blowingly awesome.  Extremely convincing.  You can't tell Matt Damon is in some sound stage or standing in front of a green screen.

If you've read the book, you know it is very much a hard science fiction book and obviously a lot of that isn't going to make the book to movie transition, but the movie does a great job of explaining the basics of Mark's most pressing problems and what he has to do to solve them to stay alive and fed.

Like I said above, the cast is great.  Matt is a solid Mark Watney.  There is not anyone in the film I felt was miscast.

Probably the only downside is that the movie crams a lot into two-plus hours, so the movie moves right along.  My brother thinks it could have benefited from being a duology.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Jacob on October 04, 2015, 06:11:06 PM
The Martian is a quality production with entertaining performances from the ensemble cast.  Matt Damon's performance as Mark Watney is excellent.

The special effects are excellent as well.  The space stuff is maybe a little fakey with CGI rather than taking a camera up in NASA's vomit comet plane to do zero-g scenes, but overall, it's great work.  There's only one bit that did not work for me as far as serious science fiction, but that's Hollywood. :)  The Mars stuff is mind-blowingly awesome.  Extremely convincing.  You can't tell Matt Damon is in some sound stage or standing in front of a green screen.

If you've read the book, you know it is very much a hard science fiction book and obviously a lot of that isn't going to make the book to movie transition, but the movie does a great job of explaining the basics of Mark's most pressing problems and what he has to do to solve them to stay alive and fed.

Like I said above, the cast is great.  Matt is a solid Mark Watney.  There is not anyone in the film I felt was miscast.

Probably the only downside is that the movie crams a lot into two-plus hours, so the movie moves right along.  My brother thinks it could have benefited from being a duology.

I really liked the book, so it sounds like I'll have to see this.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

maryslittlegarden

Gonna put that one on my watch list. I have a hold on the book at the library.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Arun

Quote from: Hiero of Syracuse on October 03, 2015, 09:49:06 AM
Jumanji. Yeah that movie.

the kids have been watching the sequel to that a lot lately. zathura. not bad.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

red solo cup

Batman Begins. Kind of dopey.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Spooky

I watched "Oculus" last night on Netflix. It was pretty good.

Then I watched "The Taking of Deborah Logan" and it was not as good.