Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Quote from: Arun on July 07, 2015, 03:39:43 AM
Quote from: Gardener on July 06, 2015, 10:45:55 PM
Well, we ended up finishing The Hobbit tonight. Certainly not LOTR. But I've never read the books, so I have nothing to be disappointed about. Probably won't read the books even though I have the LOTR set.

the hobbit book is way better. lotr movies left a lot out too. would have been hilarious for the naked singing forest guy to be in there.

btw, "'e kilt the dregon wit th' bleck arrow!" lol... you're right, Kiwi actors are... wow.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Arun

Quote from: Gardener on July 07, 2015, 06:32:12 AM
Quote from: Arun on July 07, 2015, 03:39:43 AM
Quote from: Gardener on July 06, 2015, 10:45:55 PM
Well, we ended up finishing The Hobbit tonight. Certainly not LOTR. But I've never read the books, so I have nothing to be disappointed about. Probably won't read the books even though I have the LOTR set.

the hobbit book is way better. lotr movies left a lot out too. would have been hilarious for the naked singing forest guy to be in there.

btw, "'e kilt the dregon wit th' bleck arrow!" lol... you're right, Kiwi actors are... wow.

yep. some of the kiwi dwarves have some lame accents too. it's embarrasing...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Revixit

Non-Stop

You won't want to ever fly again, but I was already there so no matter.
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy On Us

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Revixit on July 08, 2015, 09:36:39 PM

Non-Stop

You won't want to ever fly again, but I was already there so no matter.

Man British royalty really took a hit in the 20th century if Lady Mary's a flight attendant now!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

red solo cup

Finally saw American Sniper. Kind of average. Wasn't great. Wasn't bad. Not a particularly challenging role for Cooper. All he had to do was be stoic and patriotic.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Gardener

Quote from: red solo cup on July 17, 2015, 06:13:23 AM
Finally saw American Sniper. Kind of average. Wasn't great. Wasn't bad. Not a particularly challenging role for Cooper. All he had to do was be stoic and patriotic.

That's extremely hard for a Hollywood type.

But, he did have to learn Chris' mannerisms and such. One doesn't simply Texan.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

I just saw "Into The Hornets Nest"; a war correspondent and his son implant themselves into two U.S. Military units in N.E. Afghanistan; The 101 Airborne, and a Marine unit. Following them in their routine patrols; everything is "normal" until they have to fly into the Marjah valley and seize control of it from the Taliban.  There is a lot of profanity from the soldiers, but I didn't catch a single time when the name of God or of Our Lord was taken in vain. Very riveting. The soldiers dialogue is funny. This is not really a movie, but a documentary.
Here is a summary: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2611026/plotsummary?ref_=tt_stry_pl
QuoteOn February 13, 2010, American-led coalition forces launched the biggest military operation since the beginning of the Afghanistan War. Their target was the town of Marjah, a Taliban stronghold in southern Afghanistan. There, the Marines had four tasks: remove the Taliban, hold all ground seized, build infrastructure and governance, and transfer control to Afghan security forces. In this powerful account, award-winning journalist Ben Anderson tells the story of Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 6th Marines, and its commanding officer, Captain Ryan Sparks. At the battle's outset, Sparks and the 272 men of Bravo are flown 12 miles and dropped into the center of Marjah, where the Taliban lie in wait. For the young Marines, their first task begins. Embedded with Bravo Company, Anderson provides an intimate and sobering look at the realities of counterinsurgency warfare.
Here is another note
QuoteWhile the main story is focused on members of the 327th Infantry Regiment, of the 101st Airborne Division, some of the early units shown include members of the 25th Infantry Division, and the 187th Infantry Regiment, the Rakkasans, also of the 101st Airborne Div.

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Arun

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 18, 2015, 06:25:39 PM
I just saw "Into The Hornets Nest"; a war correspondent and his son implant themselves into two U.S. Military units in N.E. Afghanistan; The 101 Airborne, and a Marine unit. Following them in their routine patrols; everything is "normal" until they have to fly into the Marjah valley and seize control of it from the Taliban.  There is a lot of profanity from the soldiers, but I didn't catch a single time when the name of God or of Our Lord was taken in vain. Very riveting. The soldiers dialogue is funny. This is not really a movie, but a documentary.
Here is a summary: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2611026/plotsummary?ref_=tt_stry_pl
QuoteOn February 13, 2010, American-led coalition forces launched the biggest military operation since the beginning of the Afghanistan War. Their target was the town of Marjah, a Taliban stronghold in southern Afghanistan. There, the Marines had four tasks: remove the Taliban, hold all ground seized, build infrastructure and governance, and transfer control to Afghan security forces. In this powerful account, award-winning journalist Ben Anderson tells the story of Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 6th Marines, and its commanding officer, Captain Ryan Sparks. At the battle's outset, Sparks and the 272 men of Bravo are flown 12 miles and dropped into the center of Marjah, where the Taliban lie in wait. For the young Marines, their first task begins. Embedded with Bravo Company, Anderson provides an intimate and sobering look at the realities of counterinsurgency warfare.
Here is another note
QuoteWhile the main story is focused on members of the 327th Infantry Regiment, of the 101st Airborne Division, some of the early units shown include members of the 25th Infantry Division, and the 187th Infantry Regiment, the Rakkasans, also of the 101st Airborne Div.

doesn't 101's marching chant have a GD in it? good thing they didn't include it then...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Michael Wilson

No, there was no marching chant in it. There is a very moving scene at the end of the movie, where they hold funeral services for the men who died in the Marjah valley operation. At least it got me.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Arun

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 18, 2015, 07:33:31 PM
No, there was no marching chant in it. There is a very moving scene at the end of the movie, where they hold funeral services for the men who died in the Marjah valley operation. At least it got me.

sounds like its worth a watch eh. i'll check it out.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Gardener

No Division song has profanity at any official level.

Heinrich

I watched Hornet's Nest two weeks ago. I am glad I did. It gave me a great perspective of what many of my neighbors and some acquaintances have experienced. 
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.