Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

I watched God is Not Dead on Netflix last night. It was okay, lots of evangelical Christians but no Catholics.

My browser here at work doesn't display all the formatting options... I was going to mention a spoiler but I don't see the spoiler formatting thingy so I'll wait till I get home tonight to add it.

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Archer

Quote from: Lynne on April 06, 2015, 08:59:25 AM
I watched God is Not Dead on Netflix last night. It was okay, lots of evangelical Christians but no Catholics.

My browser here at work doesn't display all the formatting options... I was going to mention a spoiler but I don't see the spoiler formatting thingy so I'll wait till I get home tonight to add it.

The best parts were the classroom discussion scenes.  The more I learn about authentic Catholicism the less patience I have for anyone selling the "all you have to do is personally accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and then listen to my mediocre music." No. We're not even close to believing the same thing.

Prior to seeing it I was told by a traditional Catholic couple that this was a "must see movie." I don't get it.  It's like the world is so anti-God that as long as someone is OK with or "pro-God" we get pressured into supporting them. We as Catholics believe so much more that just because the movie/book/music/company/store mentions "God" doesn't make it something we automatically have to support.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Lynne

Quote from: Archer on April 06, 2015, 09:24:12 AM

The best parts were the classroom discussion scenes.  The more I learn about authentic Catholicism the less patience I have for anyone selling the "all you have to do is personally accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and then listen to my mediocre music." No. We're not even close to believing the same thing.

Prior to seeing it I was told by a traditional Catholic couple that this was a "must see movie." I don't get it.  It's like the world is so anti-God that as long as someone is OK with or "pro-God" we get pressured into supporting them. We as Catholics believe so much more that just because the movie/book/music/company/store mentions "God" doesn't make it something we automatically have to support.

I'll phrase this carefully so it's not a spoiler but the thing that most disturbed me was when the 'ordained minister' was counseling someone who had just gotten hit by a car. The victim died. As the victim lay there, dying, the minister convinced the person that they would be saved if they accepted Jesus.

It reminded me of the movie, The Rite, where the priest absolved a hit-and-run victim of their sins. That victim was saved. The one in God is Not Dead...not so much. Very disturbing.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Archer

Quote from: Lynne on April 06, 2015, 09:34:24 AM

I'll phrase this carefully so it's not a spoiler but the thing that most disturbed me was when the 'ordained minister' was counseling someone who had just gotten hit by a car. The victim died. As the victim lay there, dying, the minister convinced the person that they would be saved if they accepted Jesus.

It reminded me of the movie, The Rite, where the priest absolved a hit-and-run victim of their sins. That victim was saved. The one in God is Not Dead...not so much. Very disturbing.

I had the exact same thought - as a Catholic it was a truly disturbing scene. My wife and I left the theater with a very bad taste in our mouths.  These protestant teachings, movies, music, all the focus on feelings and people... they obscure the truth and lead people away from Heaven.  It's really sad.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Kaesekopf

No.  There was not a single redeemable scene in that entire "film." 

It was absolute trash. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

They put the most of their movie budget into their sweet Powerpoint presentations.  No money was spent on the - and I am loathe to use this word to describe anything in that film - 'arguments' put forth for God.  I mean, really, in the movie, when you make me cheer for the rabid atheist, you know you have done something wrong.

I agree.  Long gone is the Church or decent Catholics supporting decently made films and Catholic works.

Just because something is "Christian" doesn't mean it has to suck.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Lynne on April 06, 2015, 09:34:24 AM

It's a corporal work of mercy to reveal the ending and save people from two hours of their life being wasted.  ;)

Lynne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 06, 2015, 11:21:07 AM

It's a corporal work of mercy to reveal the ending and save people from two hours of their life being wasted.  ;)

hahaha

Rose

I've just rented God's Not Dead on Amazon Lovefilm so it should be here in a couple of days. Reading the reviews, though, I'm not so sure whether that was a good idea... :-\
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Cesar_Augustus

Yes, I have noticed too the (sometimes excessive) enthusiasm for whatever crumbs appear on pop culture productions.

With that movie, I guess is something similar for some people.

Cesar_Augustus

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 06, 2015, 11:20:17 AM

They put the most of their movie budget into their sweet Powerpoint presentations.  No money was spent on the - and I am loathe to use this word to describe anything in that film - 'arguments' put forth for God.  I mean, really, in the movie, when you make me cheer for the rabid atheist, you know you have done something wrong.

I agree.  Long gone is the Church or decent Catholics supporting decently made films and Catholic works.

Just because something is "Christian" doesn't mean it has to suck.

That goes with the stereotype of the moral substitutes with low quality too

What a shame that there aren't many Catholic productions... or even decent ones.

piabee

Quote from: Jacob on April 06, 2015, 08:30:36 AM
Some movie I don't remember the name of that starred Emily Mortimer and Gerard Butler as a mom and a stranger respectively, the mom hiring the stranger to play dad for her son for a weekend since the real dad is out of the picture.

Dear Frankie! One of my favorites.

LouisIX

Yes, this is an insidious (albeit tempting) inclination.  The problem is that it necessarily waters down the richness and complexity of authentic Christianity.  And, on a purely anecdotal level, I find this to be a very unsuccessful conversion tactic.  The average non-Christian or apathetic American links Catholicism to all other forms of Protestantism.  They see a caricature of irrational and fideistic evangelism.  These people are right in viewing such nonsense as nonsense.  The goal ought to be to show them the distance between the True Faith and these heretical or superficial sects. 
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

GeorgeT

Quote from: Clare on April 06, 2015, 06:25:54 AM
Flash Gordon
The 70s one? With QUEEN doing the soundtrack? That was so funny!
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Archer