Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneWolfRadTrad

Quote from: Jacob on March 25, 2015, 05:26:45 PM
Quote from: LoneWolfRadTrad on March 25, 2015, 02:15:03 PM
Battle of the Five Armies.  I've always had a disgust for prequels.  Jackson should've done this, or the Silmarilion before the LOTR trilogy.

I for one am glad PJ will never get his hands on The Silmarillion.

Enough money gets pushed... it'll happen.

Archer

Quote from: LoneWolfRadTrad on March 25, 2015, 02:15:03 PM
Battle of the Five Armies.  I've always had a disgust for prequels.  Jackson should've done this, or the Silmarilion before the LOTR trilogy.

It was more like watching a video game than a movie. It could have been so good too. One movie with solid acting that stuck to the plot of the book.... But no.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Rose

To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Archer

Quote from: Rose on March 28, 2015, 05:34:45 AM

Yes, lol.

Despite what the LOTR purists say, I actually enjoyed the movies.  They probably strayed from Tolkien's vision but at least the plot was relatively in line with the books and there weren't too many added storylines. They made entertaining movies. 

The Hobbit was just poorly done and not even that entertaining to watch, even after trying to forget what it was supposed to represent. PJ definitely  lost his way. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Bernadette

Web Junkie about addiction to online gaming among teenagers in China. Apparently China has declared it a full-on addiction, and built rehab centers all over the country. It was pretty scary, both the idea that someone could be so very addicted, and the "rehab center" itself.
My Lord and my God.

Jacob

Quote from: Archer on March 28, 2015, 08:12:27 AM
Quote from: Rose on March 28, 2015, 05:34:45 AM

Yes, lol.

Despite what the LOTR purists say, I actually enjoyed the movies.  They probably strayed from Tolkien's vision but at least the plot was relatively in line with the books and there weren't too many added storylines. They made entertaining movies. 

The Hobbit was just poorly done and not even that entertaining to watch, even after trying to forget what it was supposed to represent. PJ definitely  lost his way.

I think PJ starting with the Battle of Helm's Deep in the second movie just lost all perspective as a director telling a story.  He became a technician mapping out a CGI landscape with little figures and sweeping camera angles.  And then he did it again in the third movie with the Battle of the Pelennor.  I haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies, but everything I've read about it indicates PJ just lost all control of himself.

That's pretty much why I am glad that for now the Tolkien Estate won't be allowing any more movies.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Archer

Quote from: Jacob on March 28, 2015, 11:34:08 AM
I think PJ starting with the Battle of Helm's Deep in the second movie just lost all perspective as a director telling a story.  He became a technician mapping out a CGI landscape with little figures and sweeping camera angles.  And then he did it again in the third movie with the Battle of the Pelennor.  I haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies, but everything I've read about it indicates PJ just lost all control of himself.

That's pretty much why I am glad that for now the Tolkien Estate won't be allowing any more movies.

Tolkien didn't spend a lot of time on the wars and battles.  I haven't read LOTR in about 10 years, but I recall that he discussed them more from the 20,000 foot level rather than spending much time on the intricate maneuvers and details.  After FOTR, PJ seems to have reverted back to his King Kong/horror movie style with lot's of focus on the battles and killing moves. Also, and I haven't read much about it, but the equipment and technical way they filmed The Hobbit made it less realistic and harder to watch; more like a video game.  My opinion.     

Christknight104

Ida, a very good film, beautifully shot with deep and heavy themes.

It  seems that in general, films with nuns (i.e. The Sound of Music, The Nun's Story, Doubt) are really great.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Christknight104 on April 05, 2015, 04:11:50 PM
Ida, a very good film, beautifully shot with deep and heavy themes.

It  seems that in general, films with nuns (i.e. The Sound of Music, The Nun's Story, Doubt) are really great.

I've seen it too....I thought it was excellent; the cinematography was amazing. But her sleeping with the sax player was stupid
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

piabee

Larry

DeMille's King of Kings. Not the sappy Jeffrey Hunter version, but the silent with H.B. Warner.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Archer

Interstellar.

I wanted to like it, but I'm not sure. 

Jacob

Some movie I don't remember the name of that starred Emily Mortimer and Gerard Butler as a mom and a stranger respectively, the mom hiring the stranger to play dad for her son for a weekend since the real dad is out of the picture.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson