Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piabee

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: piabee on November 28, 2013, 12:48:48 AM
Catching Fire.

When I saw you as the most recent poster, I knew this was going to be your answer...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

piabee

Hahaha! Everyone and their mother saw it last night. It was really good. More substantial than the first one. My sister hasn't seen the first one and it's not a genre she cares for, but now she wants to read the books.

piabee

The Hunger Games, followed by The Bling Ring. It was festive.

Mono no aware

piabee

The Awakening. Weird. Terrible.

Mono no aware

Quote from: piabee on December 02, 2013, 11:17:27 PM
The Awakening. Weird. Terrible.

Odd.  I thought it was pretty good.  A tad frustrating towards the end, but better than most ghost stories.  It was superbly filmed, at any rate: pale, haunting, Edwardian gothic.

piabee

It had potential, but it went completely off the rails halfway through.

Mono no aware

Quote from: piabee on December 03, 2013, 05:48:08 AM
It had potential, but it went completely off the rails halfway through.

The set-up was much better than the fulfillment, I agree, but I didn't think it was all that bad.  I rated it "four stars" on my Netflix account (which, according to Netflix, means I "really liked it") but probably more for the atmospherics and the actors than the story.  Rebecca Hall and Dominic West are both pretty good.  They're not Saoirse Ronan or  Michael Fassbender, of course, but they'll do.

I've been away from this thread for several months.  Getting caught up:

Quote from: Larry S. on October 18, 2013, 10:15:13 AM
Vampyr, a Danish film directed by Carl Dreyer(who also directed The Passion of Joan of Arc) from 1932. One of the most Catholic horror films ever made. And also one of the scariest.

Agreed.  It's hard for me to decide if the best vampire movie is Vampyr or Nosferatu (or, wild card nomination: Shadow of the Vampire), but Vampyr is definitely at the pinnacle.  There's an exquisite Criterion Collection boxed edition that is well worth the price.  The bonus materials are actually worthwhile, for a change.  The story behind it is just as strange as the movie.  The main actor, Julian West, was not a trained actor at all, but a wealthy eccentric baron who financed the movie with the caveat that he be its star.  (I guess it was easier to get away with that kind of thing in the days of silents).  Fortunately he had a solemnly expressive stare.

A good Christmas present for a cinephile.

Quote from: Maximilian on October 31, 2013, 05:05:22 PM
"To Live" -- Chinese movie by Zhang Yimou, starring Gong Li. Epic movie.

Zhang Yimou has made some really superb films, mostly in the 90s.  Raise the Red Lantern and The Road Home, like To Live, are both great.  I don't know why he hopped on the bandwagon of martial arts films in the aughts, but oh well.

I should add, Maximilian, on a complimentary note, that your tenure on this forum has greatly improved its overall quality.  I've only been a lurker since your arrival, but I have admired many of your posts.  You have a gift for articulating unpopular views well; you're able to appeal to both reason and intuition.  I just wanted to say as much now, since I won't be able to in the unlikely event that you get permanently banned (may it never happen).

Larry

Quote from:Mr Brocklehurst

QuoteAgreed.  It's hard for me to decide if the best vampire movie is Vampyr or Nosferatu (or, wild card nomination: Shadow of the Vampire), but Vampyr is definitely at the pinnacle.  There's an exquisite Criterion Collection boxed edition that is well worth the price.  The bonus materials are actually worthwhile, for a change.  The story behind it is just as strange as the movie.  The main actor, Julian West, was not a trained actor at all, but a wealthy eccentric baron who financed the movie with the caveat that he be its star.  (I guess it was easier to get away with that kind of thing in the days of silents).  Fortunately he had a solemnly expressive stare.

A good Christmas present for a cinephile.

I watched Nosferatu last week; it was just released to Blu-ray. I think I like Vampyr more, but both are great films. Being a fan of the Hollywood horror films of the thirties, I think my personal favorite vampire movie is the underrated Dracula's Daughter, but Vampyr is probably the best movie ever made on the subject of the Undead.

I have that Criterion edition of Vampyr, it is a beautiful set.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Maximilian

Thank you very much for your kind and thoughtful compliment.

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on December 03, 2013, 10:16:32 AM
I just wanted to say as much now, since I won't be able to in the unlikely event that you get permanently banned (may it never happen).

In the past I've been pretty good at ducking those things, although this forum seems more arbitrary and therefore more easy to slip up. Although one time I was banned from Angelqueen for defending Bishop Williamson. Ironically, this was before 2009, at which time everyone including the moderator switched sides and started liking Bishop Williamson. Which was a very heart-warming thing to see -- that everyone supported him when he was under attack, rather than fleeing in his time of need, even though they had been ambivalent beforehand.

RedCaves

Adeodatus

Thor: The Dark World.

I enjoy the blend of mythology and science fiction, and the interesting spin they put on things like the svartalfar. I enjoy Thor as a traditional hero: strong, faithful, forthright, generous. Beautiful scenery and effects.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

zork

Still waiting on some friends to nail down an available date for seeing Catching Fire.

Still waiting on some film company to produce an adaptation of Stephen King's The Long Walk, which is in a very similar vein to The Hunger Games.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.