Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

Quote from: Gardener on December 28, 2018, 12:59:21 AM
The boys are really liking their mini-picnic table. They seem to do much better during meals vs the booster seats. Collapses flat, so we can take it places too.

my siblings and i had something like that when we were kids
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Prayerful

Another Napoleonic era hand missal, similar in that P Keating, Brown & Co. published both, albeit moving from 37 to 38 Duke St, Grosvenor Square, Psalm XIX for the King, a prayer for 'George our King, Charlotte our Queen, and the royal issue' after Communion, although the earlier one is more strident in prayers for the army and people 'committed to his care' (so no ambiguity in the service of the Jacobites), Five Points or Resolutions on the last page, propers mostly in translation only (but the St Joseph Daily Missal of the sixties had the same policy too) but there are some differences like the 1806 missal having a more archaic look with f for s, the 1815 having a Jesuit symbol on its cover. Also Go Pro Hero 7 action camera for bicycle and as dash cam, but the battery capacity is barely sufficient for a trip to the shops, let alone a long journey.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Heinrich

Wasn't Catholicism still forbidden in Great Britain until 1830? If so, who would be using it? Fascinating nonetheless.

Maybe you can use the camera for trips to the refrigerator.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Prayerful

Quote from: Heinrich on December 30, 2018, 07:30:35 PM
Wasn't Catholicism still forbidden in Great Britain until 1830? If so, who would be using it? Fascinating nonetheless.

Maybe you can use the camera for trips to the refrigerator.

No it wasn't forbidden, but from Henry VIII's attempt at Catholicism without the Pope or various devotions which annoyed him until Catholic Emancipation there were a great many legal disabilities, enforced with varying levels of strictness, Penal Laws, sometimes death for priests from abroad, or for instance fines for not attending 'Divine Service' or restrictions on inheritance. For instance Bishop Challoner (1691–1781) revised the the very literally translated Douay-Rheims of Fr Gregory Martin SJ, while in England, although there were the savage Gordon Riots when the Catholic Relief Act was passed in 1778 (this lifted the threat of long imprisonment or even worse for Catholic priests). The Dukes of Norfolk were usually Catholic and remained premier peers of the realm. Catholicism largely seemed to survive with a body of believers who were either very poor, sometimes Irish migrants or Highland Scots and a number of aristocratic families whose chapels provide places of Catholic worship in times of stricter enforcement of the law.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Bernadette

Bought a carry-on for my upcoming trip to Monterey (after the shutdown is over- there's no way I'd fly right now). Carry-on is by Piel leather and looks fantastic. It's not here yet, but I have a backpack by them and am impressed with the workmanship.
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Lynne on December 28, 2018, 05:49:51 AM
I got a French press!

(I should have posted this in the Coffee Pot)

:D

yes, but did you pay $1.00 for it?!?!?!  I got one a few weeks ago for ONE DOLLAR! at our local discount store.  I bought the thing simply because it cost a dollar.   I would've been a fool not to  ;D 

I also got 4 new maxi skirts, originally priced at $60, for $1.20 each, plus a Gap flannel nightgown for $1.00 at the same discount store   8) :cheeseheadbeer:  That was a good shopping day!

Bernadette

New bedding for staging the house in the Spring. JCPenney is having a huge sale right now.  :P

It's a full-size, so it'll hang over the sides quite a bit, since I have a twin, but I think it'll be all right.
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

Just won an auction for the 1947 Benziger Brothers 3 volume set of St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica for a final price of $67 dollars, and it's in great shape!

I had a set before, but gave it to one of my groomsmen as a gift since he gifted his set to his cellmate in prison when he got out (long story).

ETA: Might one call this... a straw purchase?

[gifv]https://i.imgur.com/PH5ZLYq.gif[/gifv]
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Non Nobis

Quote from: Gardener on January 29, 2019, 07:30:34 PM
Just won an auction for the 1947 Benziger Brothers 3 volume set of St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica for a final price of $67 dollars, and it's in great shape!

I had a set before, but gave it to one of my groomsmen as a gift since he gifted his set to his cellmate in prison when he got out (long story).

ETA: Might one call this... a straw purchase?

[gifv]https://i.imgur.com/PH5ZLYq.gif[/gifv]

I'll have to remember this story! I'm glad to see you are spreading St. Thomas around  :).  I thought at first you were talking about St. Thomas saying his works seemed as straw, after he had his vision. Then I looked up "straw purchase". (Perhaps you had both of these things in mind? Or maybe not)
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Gardener

Was using the phrase straw purchase in reference to St. Thomas' vision.

Philip G.

Quote from: Gardener on January 29, 2019, 10:29:50 PM
Was using the phrase straw purchase in reference to St. Thomas' vision.

There is more straw there than just St. Thomas' vision.  The first university professors were called "straw men" because(I think) they used straw bales for the students to sit on as a result of the university's humble beginnings.  If only we could say the same about those who were educated in them; the university turned out to be anything but humble.

https://historyofphilosophy.net/medieval-universities
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Prayerful

Out of curiosity I bought Fraternité Notre Dame's small missal. It didn't cost too much and it was curious to see a sedevacantist publication which quoted Benedict XVI and had prayers related to the Conciliar saint Faustina and its seminal devotion Divine Mercy (I know of its Polish pre-Conciliar origins but it seems to be used these days as a way to displace the Rosary and Sr Faustina's work is problematic). Now it might lacks the gilt edged missal paper and engravings of a 1930 St Anthony's Treasury but they do good work and it shows sedes are a broad church, so to speak.

Josephine87

Thanks to a post here I bought some concealed carry shorts to go under my almost-tea-length dresses. 

I also bought some knitting stitch markers made from rosary medals.

Gardener, those boys are ADORABLE.  I have two girls, slightly younger.  Let me know when you want to talk betrothals.  :lol:
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur