"New" organ recognized

Started by Padraig, June 08, 2022, 09:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraig

It turns out the stuff we threw away in dissection lab was pretty important after all.

Fascia, Your Body's Fashionable "New" Organ
David Coppedge
May 26, 2022, 9:18 AM

It's not often that a new functional organ is found in the human body, considering that everything has been dissected and drawn for centuries and photographed in detail for decades. This organ is big and obvious! Ignoring it is like throwing away the wrapping paper and then finding out that the wrapping paper was a major part of the gift.

It's called fascia — a word from Latin meaning bandage. In anatomy, fascia is defined as "a band or sheath of connective tissue investing, supporting, or binding together internal organs or parts of the body." Laypersons who have heard the word were probably afflicted with plantar fasciitis, an ailment that inflames the fascia along the bottom of the foot. I've had it and know that PF is painful. It can sometimes be relieved by weeks of physical therapy or a shot of cortisone. I reflected on a long hike recently how wonderful it feels to walk again without PF pain. I learned from my podiatrist and his foot model that the plantar fascia holds the heel and toes together.

[...]

The body is connected in ways that we are only beginning to understand. Isn't that true of so many past cases of simplistic material explanations in science that failed? Spontaneous generation, featureless protoplasm, vestigial organs, junk DNA — they all have in common the assumption that the stuff of life is simple to imagine having come into being by unguided natural processes. Fascia reminds us that the closer one looks at life, the more wondrous and well-designed it appears. Never count anything as useless. The wrapping is part of the gift.

Read the rest here:
https://evolutionnews.org/2022/05/fascia-your-bodys-fashionable-new-organ/

Maximilian

Quote from: Padraig on June 08, 2022, 09:31:24 AM
It turns out the stuff we threw away in dissection lab was pretty important after all.

Fascia, Your Body's Fashionable "New" Organ
David Coppedge
May 26, 2022, 9:18 AM

It's not often that a new functional organ is found in the human body, considering that everything has been dissected and drawn for centuries and photographed in detail for decades. This organ is big and obvious! Ignoring it is like throwing away the wrapping paper and then finding out that the wrapping paper was a major part of the gift.

It's called fascia — a word from Latin meaning bandage. In anatomy, fascia is defined as "a band or sheath of connective tissue investing, supporting, or binding together internal organs or parts of the body." Laypersons who have heard the word were probably afflicted with plantar fasciitis, an ailment that inflames the fascia along the bottom of the foot. I've had it and know that PF is painful. It can sometimes be relieved by weeks of physical therapy or a shot of cortisone. I reflected on a long hike recently how wonderful it feels to walk again without PF pain. I learned from my podiatrist and his foot model that the plantar fascia holds the heel and toes together.

[...]

The body is connected in ways that we are only beginning to understand. Isn't that true of so many past cases of simplistic material explanations in science that failed? Spontaneous generation, featureless protoplasm, vestigial organs, junk DNA — they all have in common the assumption that the stuff of life is simple to imagine having come into being by unguided natural processes. Fascia reminds us that the closer one looks at life, the more wondrous and well-designed it appears. Never count anything as useless. The wrapping is part of the gift.

Read the rest here:
https://evolutionnews.org/2022/05/fascia-your-bodys-fashionable-new-organ/

I saw this article and thought that it was quite fascinating and made a lot of sense.

MundaCorMeum

Now I know why the sashes priests wear around their cassocks is called a fascia!