I'm Baaaack!

Started by jovan66102, May 14, 2018, 12:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Jovan,
You might look for books by Isaiah Bennett. He was a Carmelite priest who ended up leaving the Church, becoming a Mormon, and then several years later coming back into the Church.

He has written extensively about Mormonism, as he actually taught at a high level for them for 2 years and wasn't a simple "convert" -- he knows exactly what they believe inside the institution.

He is no longer active as a priest, as the Bishop in his diocese and his Superior felt that due to the public nature of the scandal of it he should not be seen as a priest in a ministerial capacity.

I recently got both Inside Mormonism and When Mormons Call. They're on my reading list.

Interestingly, one of the things which brought him back was when he called Patrick Madrid, whom he had know while a Carmelite, in an attempt to explain himself. Patrick argued with him for over an hour, but one thing which really stuck in Bennett's craw was when Patrick stated, "Isaiah, how could you abandon Christ in the Eucharist?" He couldn't get the question out of his head. He just heard it over and over.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Clare

Hi Jovan! Wonderful news!  8)
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Xavier

Wow, Jovan. This is awesome. So happy for you. Hope you and your wife have lifelong peace and joy in the Lord henceforth.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

mikemac

Great come back Jovan.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

jovan66102

Quote from: Gardener on May 16, 2018, 05:40:18 PM
Jovan,
You might look for books by Isaiah Bennett.

Thanks, but I doubt that it would do any good. Tim was a very active Catholic in the NO sense. He was an EMHC and reader, daily Mass goer, the works. He also was (and is) a hardcore neocon politically. He left the Church, quite literally, when he was at a daily Mass at a liberal NO Parish in the Bay Area of California.

You know how many NO Priests at the Prayers of the People at daily Mass sort of throw them open, allowing individuals to make up their own intentions? Well, Tim had a brother serving on the frontline in Afghanistan when someone actually prayed that God would give the enemy the victory and that the American soldiers would be killed!

Tim got up, walked out of the Church and has never set foot in a Catholic Church since. Later, he discovered Mormonism, and has immersed himself in its pseudohistory, scifi theology, and other aspects of the pagan cult.

Argument won't work, which is why I asked for prayers.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Gardener

Quote from: jovan66102 on May 18, 2018, 12:19:17 PM
Quote from: Gardener on May 16, 2018, 05:40:18 PM
Jovan,
You might look for books by Isaiah Bennett.

Thanks, but I doubt that it would do any good. Tim was a very active Catholic in the NO sense. He was an EMHC and reader, daily Mass goer, the works. He also was (and is) a hardcore neocon politically. He left the Church, quite literally, when he was at a daily Mass at a liberal NO Parish in the Bay Area of California.

You know how many NO Priests at the Prayers of the People at daily Mass sort of throw them open, allowing individuals to make up their own intentions? Well, Tim had a brother serving on the frontline in Afghanistan when someone actually prayed that God would give the enemy the victory and that the American soldiers would be killed!

Tim got up, walked out of the Church and has never set foot in a Catholic Church since. Later, he discovered Mormonism, and has immersed himself in its pseudohistory, scifi theology, and other aspects of the pagan cult.

Argument won't work, which is why I asked for prayers.

That's absolutely awful. It's also an awful reason to leave the Church -- one moron's stupidity.

Bennett deals with the exact things he's immersed himself in, though. All I'm saying is it cannot hurt to know an insider-turned-revert's perspective.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe