Consecration Possible Outside Mass ?

Started by Jmartyr, September 02, 2019, 02:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmartyr

"If anyone is excommunicated it is not I, but the excommunicators." - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
" A false church cannot have a true mission." - St. Francis De Sales
" The way is open for us to deprive councils of their authority, contradict their acts freely, and profess confidently, whatever SEEMS to be true. " - Martin Luther

Philip G.

The sspx recently put out an article about the priest who attempts to consecrate all of the bread at the bakery.  All I know is that I would not let that bread go to waste.  I would slap some butter on those bad boys and chow down with the poor.  Do I agree with the sspx?  No.  It is simply a crafty way to create alms. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Philip G.

I guess we should not be surprised by this consecrational fantasy of the sspx/TLM priest, as the sspx seemingly believes that one of the two ends(a modern novelty) of the priesthood is the consecration of the Eucharist(the other being their personal sanctity), as opposed to the traditional single end of governance according to the council of Florence.   

It is so interesting that the council specifically states that Baptism, confirmation, Eucharist, penance, and extreme unction are "ordained for the spiritual perfection of each and every one in himself" to the exclusion of orders and matrimony.   
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Jmartyr

Most people think , me too until I read these links, a priest can say the words of consecration in any situation and be valid.
"If anyone is excommunicated it is not I, but the excommunicators." - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
" The way is open for us to deprive councils of their authority, contradict their acts freely, and profess confidently, whatever SEEMS to be true. " - Martin Luther

mikemac

Verrecchio goes further than the argument of Consecration outside of the Mass.

Quote... The Novus Ordo, even when carried out by the book, is subject to doubt as to whether it may be devoid of supernatural character having become nothing more than an act of natural religion.

When this takes place, there is no Mass, and when there is no Mass, there is no consecration of the Blessed Sacrament.

QuoteIronically, it only served to undermine the very point he wished to make, confirming in their error those who are hyper-focused on the idea that Jesus is made present on the altar no matter how evil the rite may be; even if it should cease to be the Mass at all.

So is Louie Verrecchio sending to hell every Catholic from 1970 to the Summorum Pontificum of 2007 plus every Catholic that still does not have access to the Traditional Latin Mass?  Sounds like it.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

St.Justin

Those links to aka catholic are a joke. The man has no idea what he is talking about. Lord have mercy on his soul. If matter form and intention are present the Sacrament is valid. It might be illicit and and or sacrilegious but it is Valid. I have to laugh when he tries to but words in the mouths of St. Thomas and Canon Hesse. His position to put it mildly is not Catholic.

Jmartyr

Can there be a consecration outside of mass, or to do "what the Church does" means confect the sacrament within the confines of mass?

St.Justin

Quote from: Jmartyr on September 02, 2019, 07:36:41 PM
Can there be a consecration outside of mass, or to do "what the Church does" means confect the sacrament within the confines of mass?

What the Church does is change the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of our Lord. Where that takes place has nothing to do with the validity of the Consecration.

aquinas138

I think consecration outside of Mass is of doubtful validity, maybe not certainly invalid. I think it has to be doubtful in part because the intention is not clear. We are morally certain the Eucharist is confected and the sacrifice offered because when a priest uses the formularies of the Roman Missal (or the Eastern equivalents), we are morally certain that he has the intention of doing what the Church does. A priest attempting to consecrate outside of Mass has an uncertain intention and by sacrilegiously attempting consecration outside Mass is not acting in persona Christi.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

St.Justin

Quote from: aquinas138 on September 02, 2019, 09:27:48 PM

I think consecration outside of Mass is of doubtful validity, maybe not certainly invalid. I think it has to be doubtful in part because the intention is not clear. We are morally certain the Eucharist is confected and the sacrifice offered because when a priest uses the formularies of the Roman Missal (or the Eastern equivalents), we are morally certain that he has the intention of doing what the Church does. A priest attempting to consecrate outside of Mass has an uncertain intention and by sacrilegiously attempting consecration outside Mass is not acting in persona Christi.

Whenever a Priest is confecting a Sacrament he is acting in persona Christi.

aquinas138

Quote from: St.Justin on September 02, 2019, 10:09:13 PM

Whenever a Priest is confecting a Sacrament he is acting in persona Christi.

I agree that a priest actually confecting the Sacrament is so acting; however, I am saying that a priest attempting to confect the Sacrament outside of Mass is NOT acting in persona Christi, and thus his attempt is (probably) invalid. I am not a sede, but Novus Ordo Watch actually collected a few quotes from theologians and canonists on this topic; the most relevant for this point is:

Quote from: Rev. P. Charles Augustine, A Commentary on the New Code of Canon Law, vol. IV (St. Louis, MO: Herder, 1920), p. 156To consecrate outside the Mass would not only be a sacrilege, but probably also an attempt at invalid consecration. The priest would certainly not perform that action in the person of Christ, nor according to the intention of the Church, which is restricted to the celebration of the Mass.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Jmartyr

Agreed, which is why Louie V quoted Father Hesse  concerning the condemned proposition about the safer course should be followed when dealing with the validity of sacraments.

Jmartyr

"In conferring the Sacraments, as also in the consecration in Mass, it is never allowed to adopt a probable course of action as to validity and to abandon the safer course. The contrary was explicitly condemned by Pope Innocent XI [1670-1676].

St.Justin

Quote from: Jmartyr on September 03, 2019, 12:00:08 PM

Agreed, which is why Louie V quoted Father Hesse  concerning the condemned proposition about the safer course should be followed when dealing with the validity of sacraments.

He used what they said incorrectly.

St.Justin

Quote from: Jmartyr on September 03, 2019, 12:08:58 PM

"In conferring the Sacraments, as also in the consecration in Mass, it is never allowed to adopt a probable course of action as to validity and to abandon the safer course. The contrary was explicitly condemned by Pope Innocent XI [1670-1676].

So St. Maximilian Kolbe's Consecrations in the concentration camp were invalid???? Give me a break.