Is [i]The Lord of the Rings[/i] really Catholic?

Started by VeraeFidei, February 05, 2014, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sockpuppet

You have to hand it to this priest. It takes some talent for a trad priest to say something so off the wall, that an entire forum devoted to traditional Catholicism thinks he is off the wall, 

VeraeFidei

Quote from: MilesChristi on February 06, 2014, 09:50:18 PM
I always think of Aragorn as the Great Catholic Monarch, the prophesied Return of the King.
Makes sense seeing as he is a legitimate but hidden heir.

james03

Quotethat an entire forum devoted to traditional Catholicism thinks he is off the wall, 

Not true.  Some of the ladies found the story boring.

Which reminds me, Trad lads should not talk about LOTR on the first date.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

dueSicilie

Quote from: james03 on February 06, 2014, 10:12:29 PM
Quotethat an entire forum devoted to traditional Catholicism thinks he is off the wall, 

Good thing I'm already married....

Sockpuppet

But, if she is impressed you know she is a keeper!

dueSicilie

Quote from: Sockpuppet on February 06, 2014, 10:15:58 PM

But, if she is impressed you know she is a keeper!

Very true!

Chestertonian

I can see why it wouldn't appeal to women.  There are almost no female characters with the exception of Galadriel and a few others.  And the virtues that you see in some of the more noble male characters are very male virtues.  It's a type of story that naturally appeals to a young boy but not all girls will identify with it.  I do find that when a woman gets into LOTR she is VERY into it.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Sockpuppet

Quote from: Chestertonian on February 06, 2014, 10:17:25 PM

I can see why it wouldn't appeal to women.  There are almost no female characters with the exception of Galadriel and a few others.  And the virtues that you see in some of the more noble male characters are very male virtues.  It's a type of story that naturally appeals to a young boy but not all girls will identify with it.  I do find that when a woman gets into LOTR she is VERY into it.

This reminds me of the quote:

Quote"There are two novels that can transform a bookish 14-year-kld's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish daydream that can lead to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood in which large chunks of the day are spent inventing ways to make real life more like a fantasy novel. The other is a book about orcs."

dueSicilie

Quote from: Sockpuppet on February 06, 2014, 10:18:45 PM

Quote"There are two novels that can transform a bookish 14-year-kld's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish daydream that can lead to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood in which large chunks of the day are spent inventing ways to make real life more like a fantasy novel. The other is a book about orcs."

That is maybe the best quote ever.

Penelope

My sister is into LotR, but she isn't way into it. She read all the books when she was in high school and she enjoys the movies (and does a creepily accurate Smeagol impression) and would probably sit down to a marathon of the movies or set a goal of re-reading the books in some short time frame, but she doesn't, like, wear LotR t-shirts or write fan fiction about hobbits or anything like that. She's not weird about it. She is not, however, a practicing Catholic, unfortunately. I keep hoping that her interest in LotR will spark her return to the Faith.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Sockpuppet on February 06, 2014, 10:18:45 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on February 06, 2014, 10:17:25 PM

That quote is always so enjoyable.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

erin is nice

I loved reading LOTR, and have read it several times, and I do not see it as a "Catholic book". I just finished the Prose Edda a couple weeks ago, and Tolkien was so obviously influenced by it, he even stole names right out of it! The fatalism, etc, is all very Norse.

As an aside, Tolkien thought very poorly of women, thought they were mostly incapable of learning and creativity, etc.

Adeodatus

The problem with this priest's 'analysis' of LotR is that it is so irrational (dwarves = underground = hell? Then what does he say about spelunkers? Geologists?) that it essentially ends his career as a theologian and homilist. Since I happen to know enough about LotR to know that this 'analysis' is bonkers, I can assume that if this guy starts talking about something about which I am not well studied, that I ought not accept his opinion because it is likely also completely bonkers.

It's simply too bad that they did not reveal this priest's name. The damage that an irrational priest can do is almost incalculable.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

Chestertonian

Quote from: Adeodatus on February 07, 2014, 10:55:14 AM
The problem with this priest's 'analysis' of LotR is that it is so irrational (dwarves = underground = hell? Then what does he say about spelunkers? Geologists?) that it essentially ends his career as a theologian and homilist. Since I happen to know enough about LotR to know that this 'analysis' is bonkers, I can assume that if this guy starts talking about something about which I am not well studied, that I ought not accept his opinion because it is likely also completely bonkers.

It's simply too bad that they did not reveal this priest's name. The damage that an irrational priest can do is almost incalculable.

Yeah, I never thought taking the subway was so spiritually dangerous