Take down Christmas decorations: Feb. 1 or Feb. 2?

Started by Geremia, January 26, 2024, 03:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

Should they be taken down before February 1 or February 2?

In other words, are Christmas decorations to be up on Candlemass day?

diaduit

Feb 2nd here for crib, decorations are long taken down.

Michael Wilson

Mine are all up in the attic as of Jan. 7.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

EastWest7

My wife and I have always kept them up until January 7, the day after the Epiphany.

Growing up in the 1960s my Episcopalian mom would also keep them up through the that feast day (not that this is any good advertisement for such a practice, lol) .   
Before Abraham was, I AM. John 8:58

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

EastWest7

Sorry, dupe.
Before Abraham was, I AM. John 8:58

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Melkor

Uh no idea when Mum took them down. Myself, I'd probably still have them up during Lent. And when Easter rolled around I'd say heck with it, leave em up it's party time.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

drummerboy

Quote from: Melkor on February 10, 2024, 12:42:34 PMUh no idea when Mum took them down. Myself, I'd probably still have them up during Lent. And when Easter rolled around I'd say heck with it, leave em up it's party time.

Spoken like a true bachelor  :cheeseheadbeer:
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Kaesekopf

Honestly, after having been getting into praying the Divine Office more, I am more inclined to take them down January 13th (the Octave of Epiphany).  Keeping them up seems strange, to be honest.

(My wife rules the decoration realm though, so they stay up until February 2nd or so.  :lol:)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.