I don't want to go to Mass anymore

Started by Bernadette, September 10, 2023, 05:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

Quote from: Bernadette on September 12, 2023, 08:39:11 AMI did confront him, and he lost it and yelled at me.

As I stated in my first response to your thread, this will go on til the cows come home. It'll turn into a debate about whether one should go to the NO intrinsically, etc.

The most important part of this thread I think is being lost, which is your particular situation for the sanctification and salvation of your soul.

If you were my sister, cousin, or blood, I'd tell you the same: stop going to this place, don't confront these people, and don't feel that you need to show them the errors of their ways or change their minds.

Try to find an alternative, and if you cannot, keep holy the Lord's day in other ways.

However stop at once going to this place.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Maximilian

Quote from: Bernadette on September 12, 2023, 08:39:11 AMI did confront him, and he lost it and yelled at me.

That's a shame, but at least you tried. Although the outcome was predictable, but if you hadn't given it a shot, you would never know for sure if speaking to him might have worked.

That happened to me several times during my Novus Ordo days. The encounters seemed pointless at the time, but ultimately they were important and necessary stages along the way for me.

And who knows? Despite the shouting at the time, maybe later the priest spent some time in self-reflection that was profitable to him as well.

Bernadette

Quote from: Baylee on September 12, 2023, 09:07:42 AMBernadette,

Do you drive? Do you have access to transportation?  What are mass options for you (even if far)?
I don't see well enough to drive, and there is no public transportation where I live. The closest Latin Mass is 3 hours away.
My Lord and my God.

Baylee

Quote from: Bernadette on September 12, 2023, 09:32:12 AM
Quote from: Baylee on September 12, 2023, 09:07:42 AMBernadette,

Do you drive? Do you have access to transportation?  What are mass options for you (even if far)?
I don't see well enough to drive, and there is no public transportation where I live. The closest Latin Mass is 3 hours away.

I seemed to recall that driving was an issue for you.  Sorry to ask again. 

OCLittleFlower

I'm sorry that you're stranded away from the Traditional Mass...and that your local parish is such a source of heresy and pain. Certainly, don't assist at the "Mass" there. Nothing good seems to be happening in that place, and you'll only risk your faith and sanity to stay.

I know there's no TLM near you -- are there any other options? Eastern Catholics? Even Eastern Orthodox would be the valid body and blood of Our Lord, though we cannot receive at their liturgy. No, it isn't your patrimony as a Western Christian, but at least it is Our Lord and I've never seen an Orthodox priest spread modernism.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Bernadette

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on September 12, 2023, 11:03:44 AMI know there's no TLM near you -- are there any other options? Eastern Catholics? Even Eastern Orthodox would be the valid body and blood of Our Lord, though we cannot receive at their liturgy. No, it isn't your patrimony as a Western Christian, but at least it is Our Lord and I've never seen an Orthodox priest spread modernism.
No, I'm in rural Protestant country.
My Lord and my God.

diaduit

I don't know America and the dynamics but would you ring up the nearest trad priest (3 hours away) and offer your house for mass if they ever want to set up a new place to go to.  Also chat with him on the phone, get to know him and he may just make a special trip to give you the sacraments. 

Michael Wilson

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on September 12, 2023, 11:03:44 AMI know there's no TLM near you -- are there any other options? Eastern Catholics? Even Eastern Orthodox would be the valid body and blood of Our Lord, though we cannot receive at their liturgy. No, it isn't your patrimony as a Western Christian, but at least it is Our Lord and I've never seen an Orthodox priest spread modernism.
That would be partaking in the worship of non-Catholics, and that is a Mortal Sin. That is definitely not an option.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Greg

If you were in jail there would be no mass.  So just do what you would do in jail. And thank God you are not in jail.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Melkor

Quote from: Bonaventure on September 11, 2023, 09:42:47 AM
Quote from: josh987654321 on September 11, 2023, 09:13:22 AM
Quote from: james03 on September 10, 2023, 06:29:29 PMIf not, try to watch a live stream one on Sunday.

I really dislike this, I remember they tried to do this during the lockdowns thus saying it was no big deal, the only use is for the homily and imagery, that's it, when it comes to the Sacraments it's useless, after all, I can't 'see' the Real Presence, I can't be in Christ's Real Presence nor receive it, at the end of the day it's just an image and audio feed, those are the only two senses available.

Making a video call and speaking in person are very different too. How much more so with the Real Presence which cannot be seen or heard? (unless in the case of a Eucharistic Miracle) Thus, I'll never do a 'livestream' or 'recorded' Mass, which IMO is a form of deception to compare it to a real Mass, useful for a homily, otherwise it's not a substitute IMO.

God Bless
As Bishop Williamson famously said, do whatever you need to nourish your faith.

That sounds a bit Protestanty, no? I mean maybe the context is lost but Bishop Williamson is resistance now. I personally know a Catholic family who's resistance (left the SSPX after listening to some bullshit sermon on YT); and they're an hour away from a perfectly good SSPX TLM. Oh but they'll claim it's what they need to 'nourish their faith.'
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Melkor

Quote from: james03 on September 10, 2023, 06:29:29 PMThis supper service is not Mass as objectively this "priest" is not trying to do what the Church intends, that is, transubstantiate bread and wine into the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ.  It remains bread and wine.  He has told you this by his own words.

You don't have to attend in my opinion as this is not a Catholic Mass.  Try to find a Trad Mass.  If not, try to watch a live stream one on Sunday.  Perhaps other posters can provide you a Youtube channel  And maybe take a vacation when you can and travel to a Traditional Chapel.

And no matter what, don't receive this invalid sacrament.

IIRC validity of Consecration doesn't depend on the 'intentions' of the priest; it's strictly a matter of the words.

Now, obviously not a good priest or environment. But I wouldn't say it's invalid. However if it's a scandal and a grave struggle with you Bernadette I would simply stay away. Or at the very least have a good conversation with a good Catholic priest about it.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Miriam_M

Quote from: Melkor on September 13, 2023, 03:43:01 PMOr at the very least have a good conversation with a good Catholic priest about it.

This is exactly what I would do, incorporating the above:

At least once, I would travel the 3 hours to the Latin Mass location, perhaps staying overnight in a nearby hotel on Saturday.  Beforehand, I would make arrangements to see the TLM priest while I was there on Sunday, explaining that I come from far away, and that I may or may not be able to regularly make such a trip, due to cost and distance.

I would be frank with him about my discouragement and concerns for the validity of the Mass, your spiritual experience, the sincerity of the priest, etc.  Wait for his advice.

Melkor

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on September 12, 2023, 11:03:44 AMI'm sorry that you're stranded away from the Traditional Mass...and that your local parish is such a source of heresy and pain. Certainly, don't assist at the "Mass" there. Nothing good seems to be happening in that place, and you'll only risk your faith and sanity to stay.

I know there's no TLM near you -- are there any other options? Eastern Catholics? Even Eastern Orthodox would be the valid body and blood of Our Lord, though we cannot receive at their liturgy. No, it isn't your patrimony as a Western Christian, but at least it is Our Lord and I've never seen an Orthodox priest spread modernism.

Nope that's a very stupid thing to do. While the Orthodox may seem reverent and all that (I'm sure they are) they are in schism from the Church and to attend their 'Masses' is undoubtedly a grave sin.

josh987654321

Quote from: Bonaventure on September 11, 2023, 09:42:47 AMIt is not a form of deception.

Fair enough IMO, if you find value in it, each to his own, nevertheless:

I think to further specify, there was a 'Eucharistic Adoration Livestream' advertised once, and that one is very problematic, as your only seeing an image of the host which appears as simply unleavened bread because Christ's 'Real Presence' is not applicable to those senses.

So this kind of development as I noticed during the 'lockdowns' troubled me very much, I see it as a subtle way that we can be robbed of the Sacraments while pretending everything is fine when it's not.

Furthermore, our Politicians and others who do not believe in or understand the 'Real Presence' view it as a perfect substitute and thus promote it, if the Priest believes in the 'Real Presence' they likewise would not view it as a substitute either IMO, so what is it exactly? I don't know, and if you find value in it so be it, but I consider it dangerous grounds, for it can deceive, it's like you are finding such value in it because it's as if you are there, so all those same emotions and feelings present themselves making it valuable, but at the end of the day, you are not there and you didn't experience it, like looking at a nature wallpaper on my desktop, I get those feelings, but a cheapening is involved and nothing like if you watched the sunset for real.

Just like myself being content talking to someone over video call and feeling complete when there is a noticeable cheapening going on, as talking in person is very different. Or talking to you on a forum, with even less senses available.

Of course, the forum is the only medium through which I could talk to you people, making conversation possible that otherwise would be impossible, the anonymity also helps to discuss things with people which otherwise would not be discussed (protection from reprisals and retribution by dishonest and underhanded people), but there is still a cheapening involved.

Quote from: Bonaventure on September 11, 2023, 09:42:47 AMWe can argue this til the cows come home but good Catholics will come to different conclusions. 

As Bishop Williamson famously said, do whatever you need to nourish your faith.

Yup. Just wanted to mention those thoughts.

God Bless
"I will not delude you with prospects of peace and consolations; on the contrary, prepare for great battles. Know that you are now on a great stage where all heaven and earth are watching you. Fight like a knight, so that I can reward you. Do not be unduly fearful, because you are not alone." (Diary, 1760)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)

"I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

josh987654321

That's sad, I've been chewed out before too if it's any consolation, nevertheless, glad that you tried. On a positive note, people don't generally lose their temper unless they have insecurities.

God Bless   
"I will not delude you with prospects of peace and consolations; on the contrary, prepare for great battles. Know that you are now on a great stage where all heaven and earth are watching you. Fight like a knight, so that I can reward you. Do not be unduly fearful, because you are not alone." (Diary, 1760)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)

"I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)