Favourite Music genres? With Bands

Started by Melkor, January 12, 2022, 07:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

I'll go first. I like metalcore (As I lay Dying, Parkway Drive), classical music (Paganini, Chopin, Beethoven), Gregorian chant, classic rock (Tom Petty, BTO, Deep Purple) and classic country (Cash mainly). What are yours?

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

The Curt Jester

For entertainment:

Baroque era
Irish Folk (I like a lot of folk music, but Irish tends to be at the top)
Ragtime (in small amounts)
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Melkor

Any good Baroque songs you'd care to share?

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

The Curt Jester

Baroque organ is always best.  Handel expresses a joy in a way that other Baroque composers don't (although he's not necessarily my favorite).

TerrorDæmonum

My favourite Baroque composer is Antonia Vivaldi. He was a Catholic priest too.

I like many of his works, including all I have heard. You cannot go wrong with any of his concerti, but most would consider Le quattro stagioni (The Four Seasons) to be the most outstanding. He has many concerti, but many are variations on others he wrote, so they tend to have a lot in common, which is great if you like it and the diversity of instruments.

The Four Seasons are 4 concerti, meant to represent the seasons. He wrote some poems to go with each.

I found .

(If you don't know what a concerto is, it generally is a work of three movements of different speeds. So each season has three parts.)

As for keyboards, organ players are full of hot air (or cold air). The harpsichord rocks. is a good demonstration. No bellows and pomposity and dancing feet, just music. Players of the harpsichord have a lot of pluck too.

TerrorDæmonum

Here is with organ for comparison, just in case you want to judge for yourself instead of taking my word for it.

TerrorDæmonum

As for other genres, I like a very wide range, for I have sampled all that I could if I saw no reason not to.

My most recent posts about recent purchases make references to decadent music, and that is actually a reference to Big Band and early Jazz or Blues music.

But I also listen to various modern forms of music, including some electronic music.

Tennessean

My favorite genre's city pop. I don't know the bands:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9sBBl7Wexs[/yt]

My favorite bands are Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, and the Beach Boys.

Christina_S

My undergrad was a BA in Music, so this is hard lol. There's a not a whole lot that I genuinely, entirely dislike, but here are some of my favourite things.

I like a bit of Renaissance choral music now and then. Look up Fair Phyllis I Saw or other works of John Farmer as examples. When those hemiolas and meter shifts show up, the party is ON. For Baroque, Bach is unbeatable (though Handel and Vivaldi are fabulous too). Goldberg Variations as played by the one and only Glenn Gould are a top pick of mine. Now whether you prefer the '55 recording or the '81 is open for debate, but they've both got value. If I've been away from the piano for a long time and need to get my hands back in shape, Bach's Two- and Three-Part Inventions are my go-to for both fitness and musicality.

Classical/Romantic/Impressionism are all great, and I'll listen to, sing, or play all sorts of music from those eras quite willingly. Early jazz is great if I need to add a little spring to my step while doing housework. Now and then I go on a classic rock kick: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd,  Guns N Roses. But Queen is probably my top favourite band, just due to the range of styles they played with and the legit talent of Freddie Mercury.
Modern choral music has stuff that makes me cry, so I dose it out accordingly. Check out Daniel Elder's Three Nocturnes, Dan Forrest's Requiem for the Living, Ola Gjeilo's The Ground, Erik Esenvalds' Stars, and pretty much anything by Eric Whitacre. Have kleenex on hand.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Melkor

Likes GNR-automatically earned more respect ;D

I'll check out those modern choral songs.

Prayerful

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXeT2HWpwc4[/yt]

The music of William Byrd, which was both beautiful and practical (four men sufficed) in a time of persecution. This was something in England and Wales for in Ireland places like Sligo Abbey operated fairly safely until the Cromwellian era (and beyond for the Dominicans squatted in the ruins afterwards), despite some measure of Dissolution of Monasteries and erection of an Anglican Church of Ireland. Some electronic  music too. In ways, I'd be pragmatic enough in music.

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Prayerful on January 13, 2022, 07:15:08 PM
Some electronic  music too. In ways, I'd be pragmatic enough in music.

I like how admitting to liking some electronic music is kept coy on this thread.

Bernadette

The only music I listen to nowadays is Rod Stewart singing the Great American Songbook, and Bach's cello suites performed by Yo-Yo Ma.
My Lord and my God.

The Curt Jester

I also enjoy listening to the a capella group Voiceplay.   

Elizabeth.2

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 12, 2022, 10:48:39 PM
As for other genres, I like a very wide range, for I have sampled all that I could if I saw no reason not to.

My most recent posts about recent purchases make references to decadent music, and that is actually a reference to Big Band and early Jazz or Blues music.

But I also listen to various modern forms of music, including some electronic music.
Check out Scrapper Blackwell for Blues.  My Dad was a founding member of the Indianapolis Jazz Club, and ran an art gallery downtown where he "discovered" Scrapper.  I remember watching him rehearse Nobody Knows You when You're Down and Out, and all dat for what seemed like hours on end.  This was drinking music.   

Most everything to do with Jordi Savall, Tallis Scholars is what I love.  And Compline, with the men and women back and forth. 
That's what I love.   :grouphug: