Andy Warhol

Started by drummerboy, November 07, 2014, 05:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

http://www.aleteia.org/en/arts-entertainment/article/andy-warhol-celibate-catholic-5839390534270976?

I've heard he was Catholic, but I didn't know about helping his nephew through seminary.  I don't know about his drug use though, Velvet Underground was pretty heavy into the stuff after all, but I could be wrong.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

VeraeFidei

Quote from: drummerboy on November 07, 2014, 05:39:31 PM
http://www.aleteia.org/en/arts-entertainment/article/andy-warhol-celibate-catholic-5839390534270976?

I've heard he was Catholic, but I didn't know about helping his nephew through seminary.  I don't know about his drug use though, Velvet Underground was pretty heavy into the stuff after all, but I could be wrong.
I haven't heard about that Catholic thing...I have heard about some pretty...unsavory...elements of his behavior. His "art" is vile though.

Duchamp

---

Larry

He was an Eastern rite Catholic who went to Mass every morning. Didn't receive Communion though. Hopefully he died reconciled to Christ. He obviously believed. And not all of his art was vile. Most was just sort of kitschy, in my opinion.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

GeorgeT

He was a cradle Catholic but it did not have much affect on his art, especially his films. His films were utter filth. Some have decribed him as going to Mass mostly because he was superstitious. I remember hearing he went only on Sundays and he attended St. Patricks. I could be remembering wrong, though.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Chestertonian

he had his own personal harem of women nsmed cherry vanilla and international velvet
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

red solo cup

I've always thought he was terribly overrated.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Maximilian

I've heard he was Catholic, but I didn't know about helping his nephew through seminary. 

Thank you for posting this very inspiring story.

excerpt from the article:

"Widely believed to be homosexual, he remained celibate and was, according to his closest associates, still a virgin at the time of his death.

Warhol was a deeply private man, and among the secrets he withheld from his admiring fans was his lifelong Catholic faith. Born to Slovakian immigrants, he was raised in the Ruthenian Rite, an Eastern rite which is in communion with Rome and which uses the Divine Liturgy of the Constantinopolitan Byzantine Eastern Rite.

As a boy, he worshipped with his family at St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church in Pittsburgh. Later, as an adult in New York City, Warhol stopped in almost daily at St. Vincent Ferrer parish on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Sometimes he would attend Mass; then, fearful that he would be recognized, he sat quietly near the back of the church — often missing the opportunity to walk forward and receive communion, in order to avoid being noticed. On other days, he stopped into the church in the mid-afternoon, lighting a candle and spending fifteen minutes in silent prayer.

Beside his bed, Warhol placed a handmade plaster-of-paris shrine, with a crucifix and a worn prayer book on his bedside table. Under his white shirt, he wore a cross on a chain around his neck; and in his pocket, he carried a rosary.

Larry

Quote from: GeorgeT on November 08, 2014, 07:10:46 AM
He was a cradle Catholic but it did not have much affect on his art, especially his films. His films were utter filth.

I do agree that his movies are trash. Most of his "pop art" is harmless. Not particularly good, but certainly not evil.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

GeorgeT

Quote from: Larry on November 09, 2014, 11:02:06 AM
Quote from: GeorgeT on November 08, 2014, 07:10:46 AM
He was a cradle Catholic but it did not have much affect on his art, especially his films. His films were utter filth.

I do agree that his movies are trash. Most of his "pop art" is harmless. Not particularly good, but certainly not evil.
I agree. His piece on Mao was pretty good. He looks like he's smiling nicely in the prints at eye level but the prints closer to the ceiling make it look like his smile is condescending.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Duchamp

He created oxidation paintings that are suppose to have semen on them.

F.Y.I

verenaerin

Quote from: Duchamp on November 09, 2014, 06:35:35 PM
He created oxidation paintings that are suppose to have semen on them.

F.Y.I

fun.

Pheo

But Wiki says he was a practicing Catholic!  It's right after the paragraph that says some of his first gallery submissions "were rejected for being too openly gay."

So...there's that.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Johnny Midnight

wait.  you mean guys have to pay to go to seminary?  wat? you'd think the church would be paying guys to go, not the other way around.  that really astounds me.
"We are all the walking wounded in a world that is a war zone.  Everything we love will be taken from us, everything, last of all life itself."