SAINT DOMINIC-Feast Day August 4-Domingo de Guzman

Started by Christe Eleison, July 30, 2021, 07:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christe Eleison

Happy Feast of SAINT DOMINIC-August 4-Domingo de Guzman-Pray for us!

In 1216, St. Dominic founded the Order of Preachers for the express purpose of

proclaiming the doctrine of the Church and defending it against errors. St. Dominic is also

well known for meriting the reception of the Rosary from our Lady (though the Rosary's

origin is in apostolic times), the Ash Wednesday Miracle, and the admirable purity of his heart.   

SAINT DOMINIC, PRAY FOR US!! :pray2: :pray3:

Founded to preach the Gospel and to oppose heresy, the teaching activity of the

order and its scholastic organisation placed the Preachers in the forefront of the

intellectual life of the Middle Ages.

Christe Eleison

Happy Feast of Saint DOMINIC-August 4-

Saint Dominic or Domingo de Guzman was born in 1170 to
Felix Guzman and Blessed Joan of Aza in Caleruega, Spain.

After studying at the University at Palencia he was ordained a priest at the age of 25.

St. Dominic was known for self-denial, holiness, piety and apostolic zeal.

He refused to eat meat or sleep on a bed. He also renounced wealth.

St Dominic & the Most Holy Rosary: A Necessary Devotion  :pray3:

On the Holy Rosary given by Our Lady to St Dominic to spread throughout the entire world.  How the enemies of the Church realize the power of the Rosary found in the book of a communist AA-1025.  Story of Our Lady of Akita & the Jesuits that survived the atomic bombs in Japan. 

Pray the Holy Rosary!!!

:pray2: :pray3:

Christe Eleison

In 1215 Saint Dominic founded an order of Dominican Nuns.

Their mission was to care for young girls. This was followed by the founding of the Order of Preachers, which became known as the Dominicans.

The purpose of the order was to preach the Word of God.  :pray3:

They were also known as the "Black Friars". The rule followed the Rule of St. Augustine. Their focus was on liturgical prayer and lifelong study.

The primary heresy the Dominicans preached against was Albigensianism. This was the belief that there are two dueling principles, good and evil, and that all matter was regarded as evil. They also taught that the devil is the creator of the material world.

A devotion which St. Dominic helped to spread is the Rosary. a Marian devotion,
which combines meditation on the life of Christ, with memorized prayer.

Tradition tells us that when Dominic became discouraged with the slow progress of his work of preaching against the Abligensian heresy,
the Blessed Virgin appeared to him with a beautiful wreath of roses.  :pray2:

She asked him to say the Rosary every day and to teach the people to say the Rosary. Soon the heresy began to disappear.
The devotion of the rosary continues today. :pray1:

After forming his order Dominic had a dream vision in which he met another person, a beggar. The next day, Dominic recognized this man when he came into his church.

It was St. Francis of Assisi the future founder of the Franciscan Order. Dominic embraced him saying,

"You are my companion and must walk with me. For if we hold together, no earthly power can withstand us."  :pray2: :pray3:

St. Dominic and St. Francis were lifelong friends. Their orders celebrate their meeting on the feast day of their saint.

The motto of St. Dominic is: "To praise, to bless, to preach". St. Dominic once said;

"Arm yourself with prayer, rather than a sword; wear humility rather than fine clothes." :pray3:

St. Dominic died on August 6, 1221 from a fever. Because of his love of learning and teaching, St. Dominic is known as the patron of astronomers.

Do not weep, for I shall be more useful to you
after my death and I shall help you then
more effectively than during my life.

Quote of St. Dominic

Saint Dominic, Pray for us! :pray2: :pray3:

Christe Eleison

August 4th, is also a special day for our dear Michael Wilson.
A very special HAPPY BIRTHDAY & Feast Day, Michael Wilson   :cheer:
May Saint Dominic, always watch over you, intercede on your behalf! :pray3:
Saint Dominic, Ora Pro Nobis!  :pray2:
Blessings to you on the Feast of Saint Dominic, August 4, 2021 :pray3:

MundaCorMeum

Christe Eleison

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on July 30, 2021, 08:20:50 PM
Wait....isn't it only July 30 today?

Dear Munda,

Yes, it is July 30th ;)
But I posted this, and information on Saint Maximilian Kolbe, so
people can have it in advance to either say a Novena or go to Mass on the Vigil of
the Feast Day.
Instead of posting it at the end of the day, when you are tired & completely out of it....

And if an individual is not a Daily Mass type, then its too late.
Not only that, I will most likely be super busy going to Mass & with other obligations.
And just like I prefer to go over the readings of the Mass prior to going to Mass,
I prefer to read about the Saint prior to the Feast Day. And I thought it would be helpful to others.
God bless you & yours! :pray1:

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 30, 2021, 08:33:36 PM

Dear Munda,

Yes, it is July 30th ;)
people can have it in advance to either say a Novena or go to Mass on the Vigil of
the Feast Day.
Instead of posting it at the end of the day, when you are tired & completely out of it....

Not only that, I will most likely be super busy going to Mass & with other obligations.
And just like I prefer to go over the readings of the Mass prior to going to Mass,
I prefer to read about the Saint prior to the Feast Day. And I thought it would be helpful to others.

makes sense!  Just wanted to make sure I hadn't lost a few days this week  ;D

Christe Eleison

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on July 30, 2021, 08:49:55 PM
Quote from: Christe Eleison on July 30, 2021, 08:33:36 PM

Dear Munda,

Yes, it is July 30th ;)
the Feast Day.

makes sense!  Just wanted to make sure I hadn't lost a few days this week  ;D

I know what you mean, it has happened to me in the past, LOL
So, I'm trying to "prep" in advance to avoid finding out I missed a Saint Feast Day or someone's birthday  :-[
And I also love Saint Dominic & Our Lady! :pray3:

Thanks for your post, my friend! :) God Bless!

Christe Eleison

Saint Dominic - Watchdog of God

This video has a lot of beautiful scenery from Europe, lovely Churches, etc.

"I give you arms, with which throughout your life you may fight against the devil."

August 4, 2021-Happy Feast of Saint Dominic!  :pray2: :pray3:

Saint Dominic, Pray for us!!  :pray3:

Christe Eleison

August 4, 2021
HAPPY FEAST OF SAINT DOMINIC!!

Saint Dominic, ORA PRO NOBIS!!

Prayerful

I wish the Mass did require going to so many parts of the missal. My missal is at least 70 years old and mightn't bear too much flicking back and forth.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Christe Eleison