2 questions on contrition

Started by Iamchristian, September 20, 2020, 07:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Theosist

Quote from: Iamchristian on September 22, 2020, 02:27:03 AM
Quote from: Daniel on September 21, 2020, 02:33:27 PM
Quote from: Iamchristian on September 21, 2020, 01:40:18 PM
that's a good explanation. I kinda like it. People have never talked about it that way.
So we should never focus on our contrition but on God's Sactifying Grace? And if I understand it correctly even a non-Catholic can recieve sanctifying grace on a death bed, right? We do not know who goes to Hell and who goes to Heaven.
And are there really people who only have attrition without even some for om perfect contrition? It's not either or, right? You can have both at the same time if I am told correctly. no person, unless a saint I guess, have 100% perfect contrition.

I didn't say we shouldn't focus on contrition. We should. All I was saying is that whether or not a person is saved ultimately depends on whether or not he has sanctifying grace. (But yes, we need contrition. Contrition is what disposes us to receive sanctifying grace. If you don't have contrition then you won't be able to receive sanctifying grace, and you will not be saved.)

I believe that we can have imperfect and perfect contrition at the same time, but I am not entirely sure. I think perfect contrition is extremely rare though, so maybe you can't.

As for a non-Catholic receiving sanctifying grace on his deathbed, no. But a non-Catholic can receive the grace of conversion on his deathbed. Conversion to the Catholic faith is necessary in order to be saved.
Are you saying that one must have the cognitive faith in order to be saved?I have heard that the Church never taught that. Did the COuncil of Trent teach that?

As opposed to "non-cognitive faith". And unconscious thoughts. And square circles.

Michael Wilson

Theosist,
If you really do despise the Catholic faith as much as you pretend to (I don't believe that you do); then just don't post here. I really believe that Kaese did you a favor when he banned you; and your posting here  post the ban is just confirming my view.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

christianchannel

ah yes this is a good question, you see contrition comes from God, is supernatural, its not something natural,
you can read the sermon of saint Cure of Ars about contrition