Can I ask?

Started by diaduit, June 15, 2021, 02:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy

Quote from: Insanis on June 16, 2021, 07:09:42 AM
That is true, ideally.

Practically too.

Yes, I know. I wrote "Tor or something" for a reason.

I meant you need pretty much nothing. It is not perfect, but hides your initial IP.

however the digital footprint we leave these days is so excessive, that even when using Tor, a well skilled professional could easily 'find you' if wanted.

That depends on the individual.

You have no idea ...

Insanis

Quote from: andy on June 16, 2021, 08:38:33 AM

That depends on the individual.

You have no idea ...

What do you mean? In the context of this thread, I'm saying that no amount of technology will hide the identity and location of someone who puts that as part of the username on a forum.

Also, don't assume what I know or don't know. Security/privacy concerns are very much dependent on the individual, and how one reacts to those security/privacy concerns is up to the individual. That is all. There is no universal need for every individual to think about a highly resourceful/motivated individual seeking them out.

Prayerful

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 15, 2021, 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: Insanis on June 15, 2021, 03:33:01 PM
(People concerned about this even can connect to chat through Tor or something to hide that. Forum policy restricts the use of Tor and other obfuscation methods, but chat doesn't restrict it. And people concerned about IP addresses: look to the bottom right of your post (on desktop anyway).)

For the record, Forum policy re: TOR was brought about due to the Atheist Issue a few years back, if I am thinking properly.

Blocking Tor is a bit unfair. Another forum I use in fact suggests going by TOR (the forum owner is banned from PayPal and pay services).
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Jayne

Quote from: Prayerful on June 16, 2021, 11:52:00 AM
For the record, Forum policy re: TOR was brought about due to the Atheist Issue a few years back, if I am thinking properly.

Blocking Tor is a bit unfair. Another forum I use in fact suggests going by TOR (the forum owner is banned from PayPal and pay services).

At the time, it was a good way to protect us from what was essentially an organized attack on the forum.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Prayerful on June 16, 2021, 11:52:00 AM
Quote from: Insanis on June 15, 2021, 03:33:01 PM
(People concerned about this even can connect to chat through Tor or something to hide that. Forum policy restricts the use of Tor and other obfuscation methods, but chat doesn't restrict it. And people concerned about IP addresses: look to the bottom right of your post (on desktop anyway).)

As the rules state, though, I allow it if people notify me.

I'm running this forum, I've found it's predominantly bad actors who use TOR and disposable emails.  If people contact me ahead of time, or show they aren't bad actors, I don't really care what they use to access the Forum. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Insanis

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 16, 2021, 01:23:29 PM

I'm running this forum, I've found it's predominantly bad actors who use TOR and disposable emails.  If people contact me ahead of time, or show they aren't bad actors, I don't really care what they use to access the Forum. :)

May I have official permission to use Tor? I already use a masked email (it is as disposable as I want it to be, but I use masked emails for long term use for compartmentalization).

(I didn't log in with Tor out of respect for the rules, although, I wouldn't habitually use it for forum use, sometimes, I use it exclusively for one reason or another.)

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Insanis on June 16, 2021, 01:25:52 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 16, 2021, 01:23:29 PM

May I have official permission to use Tor? I already use a masked email (it is as disposable as I want it to be, but I use masked emails for long term use for compartmentalization).

(I didn't log in with Tor out of respect for the rules, although, I wouldn't habitually use it for forum use, sometimes, I use it exclusively for one reason or another.)
That's fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jayne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 15, 2021, 10:38:34 AM
If anyone has any questions with respect to member identity, please PM me. 

As a reminder, it is a rule that members not have more than one account.   This rule is enforced. 

I do not know of any members who currently have two (active) accounts here. 

Again, any questions or concerns about particular posters, please PM. 

Even though KK wrote this quite recently, it seems to have been forgotten. 

Virtually anyone can be accused of double accounts, even with no good evidence.  This can easily damage the reputation of an innocent person and also creates a negative, suspicious atmosphere on the forum. 

KK  has very good reasons for saying to PM him rather than publicly speculate about this.  We should listen to him.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.