"I Am Jesus Christ" PC game?

Started by DigitalLogos, May 10, 2021, 03:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalLogos

I came across this over the weekend. It's still in development, and I honestly thought it would be some sort of blasphemous joke, but, apparently the devs are serious about bringing an account of the Gospels to the medium of a first-person adventure game. What I've seen of the dev diaries so far actually looks promising, especially if they treat the Subject Matter with the reverence it deserves. I mean, we have good and bad movies about the Gospels, if the medium of a video game brings people to Christ, then, well, I'm for it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1198970/I_Am_Jesus_Christ/
Developer page on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrGMrWqg1Rn9o253Dfr5JWw
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Prayerful

If internet atheists are still a thing they might try mine this for sacrilege.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

DigitalLogos

Quote from: Prayerful on May 10, 2021, 05:13:43 PM
If internet atheists are still a thing they might try mine this for sacrilege.

Yeah, just a perusal of the initial reactions to the reveal trailer show that they will probably have a field day with the game. I'm just pleased that the people making it aren't doing so to mock Christ or the Gospels.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Daniel

If it's a game where you play as Jesus (that's the impression I get from the game's title, anyway) then unfortunately it is blasphemous, regardless of the developers' intentions. Nobody should be playing as God, period.

Now I do recall about six or seven years ago I thought it would be neat if there was a game where you play through the Gospel, or the entire New Testament, as St. John the Apostle; or, perhaps a game where you play through the Old Testament or the whole of salvation history as St. Michael. (I was even considering making such a game.) But even these might be bordering on irreverent. And I'm not sure how it would work anyway... the game would most likely need to be extremely linear. (I suppose something like Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days might work pretty well. But that game was closer to a movie than to a conventional action RPG. In fact, when they ported it to the PS4 they stripped it of its gameplay and literally made it into a movie.)

Quote from: DigitalLogos on May 10, 2021, 03:18:01 PM
we have good and bad movies about the Gospels, if the medium of a video game brings people to Christ

Hate to be a naysayer, but it's not going to work. I've studied games, and can assuredly say that video games and the Gospel just don't mix. I still haven't been able to pinpoint the exact problem, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the medium itself.

Now I know that there have been many attempts at so-called "Christian video games" over the years. Most are lame or cheesy; a few look decent and are probably fun to play if you're already a Christian; but I don't think any of them are all that useful as tools of apologetics, evangelization, or proselytization, nor do any of them (even the best ones) really elevate the mind or the heart to God... at least not to the same extent as a good movie or book or work of art. And again, I think the problem has something to do with the medium itself.

Melkor

Yes, no one should be playing as God. However, we must not rule out the possibility of God drawing good from evil. Maybe someone will discover the Faith through this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ