Whittling

Started by Optatus, December 01, 2018, 04:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Optatus

Any whittlers?

I recently got back into it and decided to buy some paints to boot. Came up with this goofy Santa today.

Lynne

That's a beautiful job! How long did that take you?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Optatus

All told about three hours. You should see what some of the pros can come up with. It's mindboggling.

Gardener

Looks pretty cool. You should see what you can come up w/ for saints. If you do it in a sort of Southwest Santos or Penitentes styles, the lack of advanced artistry is part and parcel to the style.

People pay big bucks for that stuff.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Optatus

Quote from: Gardener on December 01, 2018, 05:43:56 PM
Looks pretty cool. You should see what you can come up w/ for saints. If you do it in a sort of Southwest Santos or Penitentes styles, the lack of advanced artistry is part and parcel to the style.

Sounds interesting. Do you have any examples? I tried Googling it but I don't think I'm seeing what you're referring to. Maybe I'll make that my next project and post the results.

Gardener

Try googling "santos statue" or "southwest religious statue"

If you google "southwest religious folk art statue" and go to the image results, there's a bunch.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Optatus on December 01, 2018, 05:55:34 PM

Sounds interesting. Do you have any examples? I tried Googling it but I don't think I'm seeing what you're referring to. Maybe I'll make that my next project and post the results.

There are some in these links as well as on Pinterest.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pictures+of+whittling+santos+statues&qpvt=pictures+of+whittling+santos+statues&FORM=IGRE

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=santos+statue+whittling&qpvt=santos+statue+whittling&FORM=IGRE
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Santos+Carvings&FORM=IRBPRS&=0

Optatus

I'm working on another one now. I think these "santos statues" are of a style that, quite frankly, I can't replicate at the moment. Maybe with some more practice. But I am looking at them and trying to incorporate some of the ideas on display into my current project. I typically carve basswood/white pine and a lot of these statues look like they're made of sterner wood.

In any event, I'm carving a sort of traditional "Father Christmas," mitre and all, and will post the results if I'm satisfied with them.

I'd be especially interested in Akavit's imput on whittling. From what I've seen, he's the woodmaster around here, though I think he's more interested in carpentry (i.e., the sophistacted stuff) than piddling about with knives like me.

Apart from that, I'm glad I got back into whittling. I'd forgotten what a great little pleasure it is. If anyone's looking for a new, inexpensive hobby - I can't recommend it enough.

Elizabeth

And clever wooden pull toys $$$ for kids of all ages. Nice work, Optatus.

Josephine87

Beautiful work, Optatus!  I love seeing people still doing hobbies like this.  It's very satisfying to make something with your hands!
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur