Sports - The American Religion?

Started by Bonaventure, January 22, 2013, 07:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

Quote from: Bonaventure on January 22, 2013, 10:57:25 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on January 22, 2013, 10:54:00 PM
It's all in how we respond to and view the sport, isn't it?

And how much we do so in relation to other obligations

Right.  I think there's a dignity and beauty to sports and also a question of loyalty which is itself good, not to mention the goodness of leisure and camaraderie that it facilitates.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Christknight104

I remember from a conference at the SSPX retreat I attended how sports was compared to religion. As the good priest related, the sports event can be compared to religion in a way that the jerseys and uniforms are the vestments, the crowd the congregation, the stadium the church, and the sports players minsters and servers.

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Christknight104 on January 22, 2013, 11:47:05 PM
I remember from a conference at the SSPX retreat I attended how sports was compared to religion. As the good priest related, the sports event can be compared to religion in a way that the jerseys and uniforms are the vestments, the crowd the congregation, the stadium the church, and the sports players minsters and servers.
You are describing the NO mass.
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on January 23, 2013, 01:28:43 AM
Quote from: Christknight104 on January 22, 2013, 11:47:05 PM
You are describing the NO mass.

Stadium and all, huh?   ;)
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.