Agnostics & Atheists

Started by ·, January 12, 2023, 05:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

·

Agnostic and Atheist refer to those "without knowledge" and "without God", and they refer to ideas that are actually the same: Unbelief in God. The specific distinctions and types of them do not matter.

Unbelief should be understood properly, as it refers to lack of faith, but the sin of Unbelief is deliberate, that is, an opposition to the faith. Lack of belief because of lack of knowledge is not a sin, but a punishment, a result of Original Sin. (ST II-II Q 10 A 1) Nobody possibly reading this can be nescient and the topic of innocent unbelief is another subject.

Unbelief, the sin, is the worst sin. (Ibid., A 3)

Those who restrict themselves to one source of knowledge will not find God. One who insists on relying only on appeals to their own senses, reason, and philosophical inquiries will not find God. Rejecting the knowledge that is revealed is willful, which is why it is a moral matter. The sin is in the opposition to what is revealed. The Lord says: If I had not come, and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. (John 15:22) The unbelievers' appeal to ignorance is not an excuse for the ignorance is their own fault. The Faithless cannot excuse themselves by appealing to their own lack of Faith.

Any profession of Atheism or Agnosticism or a variation of them is an indication that one has not received or has rejected the grace of God needed to know God. Those who profess these views tend to be intensely Curious, and inquire into what they know they cannot know, and rely on their own strength, which they know is frail and unreliable.

The error of the Agnostic and Atheist is clear: they either do not know what they ought or they have rejected what was offered. They seek happiness where they know they cannot find it. If one seeking the wisdom of the world did the same, sough to see what they are not able and to reject the means to obtain the knowledge they seek and rely on a vain method, they would be called fools without a question. And that is just for vain worldly knowledge. They think themselves wise for the questions they ask, but they are fools, for they reject Wisdom that would provide the answers. What wisdom is there in insisting on denying knowledge and constantly asking questions without answers?

The fool said in his heart: There is no God. (Psalms 52:1)

Acolyte

Thank you.

Some of our newer members need to read this.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III