Pipe Tobacco Question

Started by Acolyte, September 03, 2022, 02:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acolyte

Any recommendations for a decent inexpensive/common brand of pipe tobacco ? Something a drugstore or discount smoke shop will carry.

I don't mind paying for good tobacco but I want to see if I'll stick with it first.

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Tennessean

Search for leaves, so you are buying 100% tobacco. You'll need a leaf cutter. All bags of "pipe tobacco" are just brown paper sprayed with chemicals, and cigar cuttings. Same as cigs.

Acolyte

Quote from: Tennessean on September 03, 2022, 02:54:03 PM
Search for leaves, so you are buying 100% tobacco. You'll need a leaf cutter. All bags of "pipe tobacco" are just brown paper sprayed with chemicals, and cigar cuttings. Same as cigs.
I called around but no luck. The better smoke shops closed before I saw your reply. I'll probably have to wait till Tuesday to check them out because of the holiday.

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."

andy

Pipe tobacco in general is quite inexpensive - let's say 30c per bowl for a quality bulk (e.g. Lane 1-Q https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/lane-1-q-pipe-tobacco/1439894/ ) to $1 for tinned special blends - so I would not necessarily be cheap here. I do smoke on average 2 bowls a day, sometimes more and sometimes not at all. More for the taste and relax then a nic-hit which is very very mild in general with pipes. So with all accessories (I use filters too) it is $1-2/day expense for 40-50 minutes of some kind of earthly indulgence. I am thinking about st Pius X quite often when smoking too  :).

I did not touch tobacco until I reached certain age when my typical family obligations were fulfilled. There is some risk, but I would say it is nothing as compared to people who inhale straight into their lungs smoke from 2 packs of cigarettes every day. Everything is a moderation.

Tennessean

https://www.leafonly.com/

Make sure what you're buying for your pipe is 100% tobacco.

Elizabeth

That old aroma of the drying barns and stripping shed in the breeze...

andy

Quote from: Tennessean on September 05, 2022, 02:59:24 PM

TIL. I will definitely try it out.

Kaesekopf

I've slowly gotten into pipe tobacco, but this opens up a whole new world of it, it looks like....

Thanks and also I hate you :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Acolyte, you've got at least 2-3 pretty decent (based on reviews!) stores in the metro area where you're at.  Wish I had taken up pipe smoking before leaving, I must have driven by the one near St Martin's a thousand times...  :lol: 

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

Tennessean, can you elaborate more on this?  Also, how did you venture down the pathway of "leaf only" tobacco and avoiding what the international tobacco makers make?  Also, how do you figure out which brands are rubbish and which are decent?  Do you think stuff from the "small"/independent tobacco-makers is trash? 

I'm intrigued!  I haven't come across this sentiment before, but am interested.

Acolyte

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 05, 2022, 08:18:23 PM
Acolyte, you've got at least 2-3 pretty decent (based on reviews!) stores in the metro area where you're at.  Wish I had taken up pipe smoking before leaving, I must have driven by the one near St Martin's a thousand times...  :lol: 
You must be talking about Kremers Smoke Shop if it was downtown. They moved and downsized.
St Alphonsus

Acolyte

I actually have distant family that grows tobacco. I may be able to get a small quantity from them at market price. Probably burley.
St Alphonsus

Tennessean

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 05, 2022, 08:14:16 PM

I've slowly gotten into pipe tobacco, but this opens up a whole new world of it, it looks like....

Thanks and also I hate you :lol:
Well, cigarette manufacturers don't just use tobacco, they use reconstituted tobacco. It's the exact same mash that goes into a bag of pipe tobacco. Its treated with chemicals to be smooth and soft on the lungs. If all cigarettes "tasted" like a regular American Spirit, nobody would buy them either; real tobacco is too harsh. Especially so to most women, to whom pre-rolled cigar-ettes were marketed in the first place. I do inhale out of habit, so I take care to buy 100% leaf, shred it, and roll my own. I can roll hundreds with a pound of tobacco. Enough to last me and my coworkers a month. I can't prove any of this stuff I buy is grown with cow poop or rotten produce for fertilizer, instead of artificial lab stuff, but maybe I'll grow my own some day to know that I know. We shouldn't inhale tobacco smoke from anything, though. It was never meant to be inhaled, the way cigarette makers and hollywood advertized.

Also, the halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind.

andy

Yes, inhalation is bad and destroys the taste.

Pipe tobacco market is very niche, super refined and quite competitive, so I guess low quality vendors would not survive in a long haul.

When I was a small kid, my dad was taking me to countryside and I collected tobacco leaves and used them as bookmarks.

Tennessean

lol I reread my post. No smoke should ever be inhaled from anything. If fire can't eat it, neither can you.