Pipe Tobacco Question

Started by Acolyte, September 03, 2022, 02:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

If you don't inhale it, what do you do with it?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Tennessean

The nicotine enters through your gums instead.

Melkor

Quote from: Lynne on September 06, 2022, 03:27:40 PM

Pipe smoking, like cigars, is meant to be enjoyed for the taste and the experience. It's a very soothing thing after a long day to light up and spend some time outside enjoying the evening air and sunset. The very small dose of nicotine is a side effect, think of it as a bonus.  ;D 

If a good old nicotine buzz is what you're after, grab some Copenhagen (although I prefer Grizzly) and pack a lip. But it's less conducive to relaxing and will get you moving faster than a good cup of Java.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Padraig

Apparently it's really easy and completely legal to grow. (They're also quite ornamental.) One plant can yield pounds of leaves, and the drying/curing process is slow but simple. It's on my list of next gardening projects. (Barley for brewing my own beer, unfortunately, has been a failure.)

Melkor

Quote from: Padraig on September 07, 2022, 11:01:54 PM
Apparently it's really easy and completely legal to grow. (They're also quite ornamental.) One plant can yield pounds of leaves, and the drying/curing process is slow but simple. It's on my list of next gardening projects. (Barley for brewing my own beer, unfortunately, has been a failure.)

Damn dude, sorry to hear that. I wonder if it's legal in Canada to grow tobacco? I mean, I have my status card (I'm the whitest Metis you'll ever see lol) so I'm sure I could say it's for our indigenous rights or some bs like that.

Edit: it is legal to grow it here for your own personal use, as long as you don't exceed 15 kg. Which is a lot! I may be growing my own chew and rolling my own cigars next year!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

BlueInGreen

Quote from: Lynne on September 06, 2022, 03:27:40 PM

The inhaled smoke goes back out through the mouth. As Melkor noted, the smoke should be tasted and enjoyed within the mouth only. It's sort of like wine tasting where you enjoy it in your mouth. Unlike cigarettes, you're not suppose to inhale.
Cradle Catholic traversing modernism while rediscovering my heritage - in faith and ethnically.

Tennessean

Real tobacco is going to be too harsh to inhale.

drummerboy

Quote from: Tennessean on September 05, 2022, 10:05:30 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 05, 2022, 08:14:16 PM
Quote from: Tennessean on September 05, 2022, 02:59:24 PM
https://www.leafonly.com/

Make sure what you're buying for your pipe is 100% tobacco.

I've slowly gotten into pipe tobacco, but this opens up a whole new world of it, it looks like....

Thanks and also I hate you :lol:
Well, cigarette manufacturers don't just use tobacco, they use reconstituted tobacco. It's the exact same mash that goes into a bag of pipe tobacco. Its treated with chemicals to be smooth and soft on the lungs. If all cigarettes "tasted" like a regular American Spirit, nobody would buy them either; real tobacco is too harsh. Especially so to most women, to whom pre-rolled cigar-ettes were marketed in the first place. I do inhale out of habit, so I take care to buy 100% leaf, shred it, and roll my own. I can roll hundreds with a pound of tobacco. Enough to last me and my coworkers a month. I can't prove any of this stuff I buy is grown with cow poop or rotten produce for fertilizer, instead of artificial lab stuff, but maybe I'll grow my own some day to know that I know. We shouldn't inhale tobacco smoke from anything, though. It was never meant to be inhaled, the way cigarette makers and hollywood advertized.

Also, the halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind.

Well the stuff I'm smoking is certainly real then, some blend grown in the Balkans.  Figures those guys wouldn't go for the dandy stuff.  I get mine from this sight.  They have high and low end stuff, its easy to tell which is which.  https://www.tobaccopipes.com/balkan-sasieni-original-formula-pipe-tobacco/
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

drummerboy

Real tobacco should look real as well, like it came from a plant, unlike cigarette tobacco which looks like paper mache. You should find bits of hard stem, leaf, etc.

As an aside, I always get a chuckle seeing the picture of the ww2 German artilleryman loading his piece with a pipe tucked in his mouth. Well done
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne