Historical Critism.

Started by Habitual_Ritual, June 08, 2013, 12:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habitual_Ritual

Guys, I am looking for some book references and or articleS related to the roots and critique of the Historical method of Biblical interpretation.

Ta

HR
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Mithrandylan

What do you mean?  Are you referring to the modernist 'there's the Christ of history and then there's the Christ of faith' and the whole 'the bible isn't a science book' attitude?  Or are you just looking for books that are faithful to Catholic Tradition and talk about the history of the bible?
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Mithrandylan on June 08, 2013, 12:59:31 PM
Are you referring to the modernist 'there's the Christ of history and then there's the Christ of faith' and the whole 'the bible isn't a science book' attitude?e?

This,yes.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

Mithrandylan

And you are looking for books faithful to Tradition which treat this erroneous attitude in general?  Or is there something specific you are looking for information on?
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Mithrandylan on June 08, 2013, 01:02:20 PM
And you are looking for books faithful to Tradition which treat this erroneous attitude in general?  Or is there something specific you are looking for information on?

A general treatment of this issue from the standpoint of Tradition will suffice for now.

Mithrandylan

OK, well Pascendi would be good to read, although I don't recall it dealing with any specific instances, just the errors of modernist historians (and philosophers, theologians, etc.) in general.

This is a topic that interests me, so if I learn of other works that deal with it, I will let you know. 
Ps 135

Gottmitunsalex

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

VeraeFidei

I seem to recall a document of the Pontifical Biblical Commission from the early 20th century on this topic. I will try to look for it when I have time.

Habitual_Ritual

I did find this:

http://www.rtforum.org/lt/lt137.html

"...In the following reflection I shall maintain that the historical-critical method, as it is intended by the Pontifical Biblical Commission in the above-described document (IBC), especially as regards the phases of literary criticism and form-criticism (genre-criticism), is neither scientific nor historical, and its constant use of rationalist presuppositions rules out any real objectivity in its conclusions.."

Steven

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on June 09, 2013, 04:48:17 AM
I did find this:

"...In the following reflection I shall maintain that the historical-critical method, as it is intended by the Pontifical Biblical Commission in the above-described document (IBC), especially as regards the phases of literary criticism and form-criticism (genre-criticism), is neither scientific nor historical, and its constant use of rationalist presuppositions rules out any real objectivity in its conclusions.."

Had you not brought this up, I would have myself.  I attended a lecture by Msgr. McCarthy against the historical-critical method, and I can attest to his extensive knowledge on the subject.  (Full disclosure: I am a friend of his.)

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Steven on July 13, 2013, 01:25:05 PM
I did find this:

Had you not brought this up, I would have myself.  I attended a lecture by Msgr. McCarthy against the historical-critical method, and I can attest to his extensive knowledge on the subject.  (Full disclosure: I am a friend of his.)

Yes,I found some of his materials online in the end and have a book by him now.

Steven

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on July 13, 2013, 03:19:30 PM
Quote from: Steven on July 13, 2013, 01:25:05 PM
I did find this:

Yes,I found some of his materials online in the end and have a book by him now.

Awesome!  And my apologies, I did not notice that the last post was not in July but in June.  I thought it was only four days old.  :laugh: