Was the suppression of the Jesuits infallible?

Started by Sagradocorazon, November 07, 2015, 02:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sagradocorazon

In 1773, Pope Clement XIV promulgated the papal brief Dominus ac Redemptor. In this, he suppressed the Society of Jesus. I'm asking if  it's infallible because i'm not sure what papal infallibility really is. Some Catholics  seem to think that it means everything a pope says and writes is infallible.  Others say that only things that deal with faith and morals are infallible. And if it was infallible, then why was the order restored later on?
Jesus, Mary I love You, save souls

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

GloriaPatri

If you do not know what papal infallibility consists of, then I suggest you read the documents of Vatican I. Furthermore, no Catholic believes that everything a pope says or writes is infallible, so I don't know where you got that idea from.

As far as the suppression of the Jesuits is concerned: it was probably covered by the disciplinary infallibility of the Church, which holds that none of the Church's legitimate and authoritative decrees can ever bring harm to souls.

Cantarella

If the Society's suppression had been indeed infallible, then Pope Pius VII could not possibly have it lifted in 1814 in the Bull Sollicitudo Omnium Ecclesiarum. What is infallible is in fact immutable, irreformable, and true for all ages.
If anyone says that true and natural water is not necessary for baptism and thus twists into some metaphor the words of our Lord Jesus Christ" Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Spirit" (Jn 3:5) let him be anathema.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: GloriaPatri on November 07, 2015, 04:28:21 PM
Furthermore, no Catholic believes that everything a pope says or writes is infallible

Somebodys never met a neoCath ;)
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Lynne

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on November 07, 2015, 04:59:40 PM
Furthermore, no Catholic believes that everything a pope says or writes is infallible

lol

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Prayerful

Given the far left pensioners who are the typical Jesuits nowadays, maybe the suppression was a good thing.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

GloriaPatri

Quote from: Cantarella on November 07, 2015, 04:40:11 PM
If the Society's suppression had been indeed infallible, then Pope Pius VII could not possibly have it lifted in 1814 in the Bull Sollicitudo Omnium Ecclesiarum. What is infallible is in fact immutable, irreformable, and true for all ages.

There is a distinction between doctrinal infallibility, as seen with the decrees of ecumenical councils and the ex cathedra declarations of the popes, and disciplinary infallibility pertaining to the ecclesiastical laws of the Church. See here: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05030a.htm

I've met plenty of neoCaths, just not any that actually believed every utterance of the pope to be protected by papal infallibility. They may have, at times, reacted harshly to any criticism of a given papal directive or what have you, but when pressed they would admit that these statements were not ex cathedra.

Miriam_M

Or certain (not all) sedevacantists.