Rosary for children

Started by Joanwalsingham, August 13, 2018, 06:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanwalsingham

At what age to most children start doing the full five decade rosary?

I mean, if our lady expected Jacinta 8 to do the full 15 decade rosary.

I'm just wondering what age is appropriate to start doing the full rosary?

I know it can depend on the child/ but i'm just wondering what age you got your children to do it?

Chestertonian

My 8 year old son has trouble falling asleep and could easily do 15 decades.  When he can't sleep and comes into our bedroom he says "I can't sleep--and I know what you're going to say, you're going to say 'have you prayed the rosary?' and yes, I just prayed a whole rosary"

I think reading "the secret of the rosary" made him worried about falling asleep during the rosary because De Montfort emphasizes saying your rosary devoutly and with full attention... I told him that like all good mothers Our Lady wants him in bed asleep well before 10pm and it's ok to fall asleep in Our Lady's arms which I often do when attempting the 5 decades.  I lose track of where I am because I can't manipulate the beads with my hands anymore.  But my son does 5 decades with his nanny whenever she's here and 5 decades with my wife when she's here and if neither of them are here he will do it by himself

but that's just my son.  and Fatima is private revelation.  My other son (who turns 2 this month)might struggle to get through a full rosary and I think Our Lady sees our efforts.  My 8 year old gradually learned how to do this and at 4 I think was running circles around us when we were praying the rosary together.  He has his own altar in his room and we have an altar near my bedside I think it's nice when each child can have their own. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Joanwalsingham

Wow, your children are doing a lot of prayers, they are saving souls age 8 and 2

You are obviously doing something very right as a parent.

May more of us follow your example  :pray2:

Carleendiane

Quote from: Joanwalsingham on August 13, 2018, 06:50:29 AM
At what age to most children start doing the full five decade rosary?

I mean, if our lady expected Jacinta 8 to do the full 15 decade rosary.

I'm just wondering what age is appropriate to start doing the full rosary?

I know it can depend on the child/ but i'm just wondering what age you got your children to do it?

For us, as soon as they can sit, for a wee bit they started participating. In the beginning, they merely held their rosaries. Next, they began handing the rosaries out to parents, siblings, and we're tasked with collecting them. They, being around 3 would recite that which they were able, we're allowed to walk around within the group, nowhere else. They would crawl up on laps, give it their best, get down then up again. All without any negative reactions from parents. By five, they sat relatively still for prayers, though allowed potty breaks if needed....even if not really needed. By 6 or 7, they were actually eager to fully participate and engage in our nightly event. Contributing their little sweet thoughts about Mary and Jesus.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

As a little addition to the above post, just wanted to say my 13 month old granddaughter will point out, in any room, pictures of Jesus, Jesus on the Cross, Mary, and baby Jesus. Also angels. She carries her rosaries, puts them on like a necklace, and looks at the crucifix. Well, yes, of course this tickles me, but I say this because it is NEVER too early. It all about realistic expectations, gentle direction to the things of God. Lidya comes into my home, goes right up to the 4 ft statues of Sacred heart statue, and Our Lady, waves and says "hi". Every time she comes in. It's a beautiful thing. She identifies Jesus on holy cards, then proceeds to chew on them, lol.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Lynne

Quote from: Carleendiane on September 21, 2018, 08:19:12 AM
She identifies Jesus on holy cards, then proceeds to chew on them, lol.

:laugh: :grouphug:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"