Luis de León

Started by Heinrich, August 22, 2023, 06:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

I recently became acquainted with this individual's story. Was he a victim of displaced Inquisitorial zeal or a heretical villain?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_de_Le%C3%B3n
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Maximilian

Quite interesting. Thanks for the link.

In answer to your question, I would say "Neither."
Both Fray Luis and the Inquisition come off looking pretty good in this episode.

Heinrich

Quote from: Maximilian on August 22, 2023, 07:48:03 PMQuite interesting. Thanks for the link.

In answer to your question, I would say "Neither."
Both Fray Luis and the Inquisition come off looking pretty good in this episode.

That's Wikipedia, though. There has to be more certitude as to the circumstances. I want to default to the Dominicans here, but can't with certainty.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LausTibiChriste

When in doubt, Dominican
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bonaventure

Per the original Catholic Encyclopedia:

QuoteIn these propositions he was not charged with heresy, but with imprudence and rashness, particularly on account of his rather disrespectful appreciation of the Vulgate. The tribunal at Valladolid, after a trial extending over nearly five years, declared him guilty and asked that he be put to the rack and rebuked. This sentence, however, had to be ratified by the supreme council at Madrid. But nine days later (7 December, 1576) this body reversed the sentence, acquitted de León, and ordered his chair to be given back to him, but warned him to be more cautious in his teaching. He renounced the chair, however, for the time being, in favour of the professor who had filled it during his absence, and was satisfied with pecuniary compensation and supplementary teaching.

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09177b.htm
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."