The world has it in for Traditionalists or does not.

Started by Greg, February 22, 2013, 01:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

Quote from: Ben on February 23, 2013, 12:47:35 AM
Quote from: Greg on February 22, 2013, 10:17:25 PM
Quote from: Ben on February 22, 2013, 05:22:55 PM

I don't buy the we are worse than average argument. You've presented no evidence for me to think otherwise. It's just your gut talking.

It's an old and very experienced gut.  It has been around traditionalists without a break for 30 years and see a generation of them mature and turn into adults.  It is also an observant gut.  I notice stuff, take it in and store it.

How old is your gut?

There are plenty of trads who've been around longer than you who wouldn't agree with your assessment.

I know few trads, but if there's one thing I've learned since becoming a traditionalist it's that everyone's experience of the trad movement is different, sometimes quite different.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Greg

Quote from: Ben on February 23, 2013, 12:45:20 AM
Quote from: franciszver on February 22, 2013, 06:10:24 PM
I've watched as someone got hired for a $80k a year at Symantec because he impressed a manager there through a STARCRAFT MOD forum.   

I'm hoping to get a job with ggreg in this fashion. I've already started a thread to show off my typing skills.

I can assure you, I already know enough to say, you're fired!
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Greg

Quote from: Ben on February 23, 2013, 12:47:35 AM
Quote from: Greg on February 22, 2013, 10:17:25 PM
Quote from: Ben on February 22, 2013, 05:22:55 PM

I don't buy the we are worse than average argument. You've presented no evidence for me to think otherwise. It's just your gut talking.

It's an old and very experienced gut.  It has been around traditionalists without a break for 30 years and see a generation of them mature and turn into adults.  It is also an observant gut.  I notice stuff, take it in and store it.

How old is your gut?

There are plenty of trads who've been around longer than you who wouldn't agree with your assessment.

The Trad movement really only began in the 1970s I was in there in 1978.

Those older Trads are baby boomers who had a particularly fortunate set of economic circumstances.

Start a poll, what is the household income and if people answer honestly we will have an idea.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Ben

Quote from: Greg on February 23, 2013, 02:02:16 AM
Quote from: Ben on February 23, 2013, 12:45:20 AM
Quote from: franciszver on February 22, 2013, 06:10:24 PM
I've watched as someone got hired for a $80k a year at Symantec because he impressed a manager there through a STARCRAFT MOD forum.   

I'm hoping to get a job with ggreg in this fashion. I've already started a thread to show off my typing skills.

I can assure you, I already know enough to say, you're fired!

:rofl:

You really amuse me, you cherubic wonderboy!!!

Ben

Quote from: Greg on February 23, 2013, 02:06:14 AM
Start a poll, what is the household income and if people answer honestly we will have an idea.

How would we "have an idea" if you think online trads aren't representative of trads in general?

Ben

ggreg, I think you should hire HarlequinKing. I read that you recently visited him. I think you two are on the same page in your general worldview.

LouisIX

Quote from: Ben on February 23, 2013, 02:43:43 PM
ggreg, I think you should hire HarlequinKing. I read that you recently visited him. I think you two are on the same page in your general worldview.

What's with your fascination with Greg's professional career?  It's starting to become odd.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Ben

Quote from: LouisIX on February 23, 2013, 02:48:02 PM

What's with your fascination with Greg's professional career?  It's starting to become odd.

I'm not really all that interested in ggreg. I just like needling him. Speaking of obsession, ggreg seems to have one with Telesphorus.  :toth:

Greg

Thanks for the recruitment tip.  You might want to write to Donald Trump on the next Apprentice TV show too.  He could probably use your expert opinion to wipe his arse with.

Leave out the begging letter though.  That is not a good intro.  Kinda creepy really.

Ben

Quote from: Greg on February 23, 2013, 04:44:52 PM
Leave out the begging letter though.  That is not a good intro.  Kinda creepy really.

This one?

"Could you send me some money?  :D"

That was the PM I sent you. I figured you were smart enough to figure out that it was a joke. I even included the grinning smiley.  :P

Magnificat

Quote from: LouisIX on February 22, 2013, 02:19:44 AM
I guess I had never made the connection between traditionalism and what seems to be low self-esteem and a lack of effort in making things happen for yourself.

I haven't seen that amongst young trad men, but I also know very few, and I was raised far from trad.

IMO It's one of those things you take with a grain of salt. Like when people want to claim trad women are frumpy. Everybody has their pet complaint about "trads" but when it comes down to it, the rest of the world has the same problems and worse, and you realize it's really not specific to trads. They're different lifestyle makes those problems manifest a little differently sometimes, but the problem itself is not unique to them. Nor is it as common as alleged but if you're looking for it, you'll find it.

LouisIX

Quote from: Magnificat on February 23, 2013, 08:34:33 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on February 22, 2013, 02:19:44 AM
I guess I had never made the connection between traditionalism and what seems to be low self-esteem and a lack of effort in making things happen for yourself.

I haven't seen that amongst young trad men, but I also know very few, and I was raised far from trad.

IMO It's one of those things you take with a grain of salt. Like when people want to claim trad women are frumpy. Everybody has their pet complaint about "trads" but when it comes down to it, the rest of the world has the same problems and worse, and you realize it's really not specific to trads. They're different lifestyle makes those problems manifest a little differently sometimes, but the problem itself is not unique to them. Nor is it as common as alleged but if you're looking for it, you'll find it.

Yes, and there appears to be a greater variety of trads than is often realized.

Bonaventure

You are one of the most practical trads I know, and given your SSPXish background, people can't write you off as a "liberal." I'll read this later.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."