Modesty and Immodesty: The Easy Virtue

Started by TerrorDæmonum, February 10, 2013, 03:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

http://nonpeccabis.blogspot.com/2013/02/virtue-of-modesty.html

Modesty is an often misunderstood virtue. We have the phrase "too modest", and we often reduce the virtue to merely clothing.

Modesty is a virtue, and as a virtue, it moderates bodily movements and appearances we present. Although it is is heavily evident externally, the virtue is not external. Moderation of the interior of our being is shown through externals. It does not originate externally.

Modesty is also noteworthy as an easy virtue. What it moderates is not difficult to control. Compared to lust, modesty is something we can almost do by accident. However, it is something we are easily tempted to defy, and it is something which is defied very frequently without care.

Modesty is an important virtue to foster and to understand.

If women could see what the effect of most cuts of female trousers had on their own souls and the souls of those whose eyes are drawn and lust often kindled, then perhaps the trousers debate would be less of a debate.

For those curious, yes, men generally are drawn to look, and many men take that occasion for grave sin, and reduce one to an object of sin and vice. Who started that? The immodest.

Men (in particular) can work to avoid that through simple mindfulness of one's eyes and deliberate avoidance of the occasion and the fostering of good habits, but few take that time. In fact, I happen to know that some people have found that I am the only one they know of, although, I hope that is not true.

Kaesekopf

It's been more than a week, so I guess it's time for a new pants thread....
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 10, 2013, 03:33:31 PM
It's been more than a week, so I guess it's time for a new pants thread....

The subject is modesty, not just the simplistic trouser issue.

Although, the thread title references that, and there is a comment in the post, that is just a single issue of modesty, and the virtue in question is bigger and more important to fully understand. Perhaps after that one may appreciate the importance of eliminating immodesty fully.