Form and Matter of Holy Orders?

Started by bben15, February 16, 2014, 07:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bben15

Hello. When I was on CAF, a deacon posted on a thread saying that the Church has never said that the Words of Consecration need to be said in order for the Sacrament to be valid. But, it was my understanding that the form of the Sacrament of Holy Orders is the Words of Consecration, and for any sacrament to be valid, there must be form, intent, and matter.

Is the deacon wrong, or is he correct? I would guess he is right, since he is more educated than I am, and he possess Holy Orders, but I just wanted to confirm, as humans make mistakes, and as I have also heard that the Words of Consecration NEED to be said, so there is a contradiction.

God bless, and thank you.

dymphna17

He is wrong and you are correct.  Words are part of the form.  This is why there is so much controversy regarding the changing the words of the consecration of the Blessed Sacrament.  Words matter.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Jayne

Perhaps the deacon was saying that all of the words of the Consecration are not necessary, only the phrases "this is my Body" and "this is my Blood".  That is arguably the correct position.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

bben15

Quote from: Jayne on February 16, 2014, 07:55:42 PM
Perhaps the deacon was saying that all of the words of the Consecration are not necessary, only the phrases "this is my Body" and "this is my Blood".  That is arguably the correct position.

Good try, but we are referring to Holy Orders, not the Eucharist.  :thumbsup:

The Words of Consecration for the ordination of priests according to the 1962 Pontifical are:

QuoteAlmighty Father, we pray that you bestow on these servants of yours the dignity of the priesthood. Renew in their hearts the spirit of holiness, so that they may be steadfast in this second degree of the priestly office received from you, O God, and by their own lives suggest a rule of life to others.

Jayne

Sorry, I did not read the question carefully enough.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

bben15

joe17

Correct, the proper sacramental form must be said over the man(deacon) who is to be ordained a priest, as well as for deacon and bishop.  http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius12/P12SACRAO.HTM
Per Sacrementum Ordinis above matter and form(the words) are necessary for validity, as well as intention, etc.  The preface of each order needs to be spoken, not only mentally formed, for the sacrament to be valid.
  I wonder if the moderators over there at Catholic Answers corrected the deacon. 
Do read the above, short encyclical.  Keep asking the questions.  There is so much to take in on the Holy Catholic faith.

Joe

Michael Wilson

In order for there to be a valid sacrament, you need Matter, Form and intent.  The omission of any of the three invalidates the sacrament. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Petrie

Quote from: joe17 on February 16, 2014, 09:29:11 PM
Correct, the proper sacramental form must be said over the man(deacon) who is to be ordained a priest, as well as for deacon and bishop.  http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius12/P12SACRAO.HTM
Per Sacrementum Ordinis above matter and form(the words) are necessary for validity, as well as intention, etc.  The preface of each order needs to be spoken, not only mentally formed, for the sacrament to be valid.
  I wonder if the moderators over there at Catholic Answers corrected the deacon. 
Do read the above, short encyclical.  Keep asking the questions.  There is so much to take in on the Holy Catholic faith.

Joe

You beat me to it:

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius12/P12SACRAO.HTM

Notice how specific Pope Pius XII is about the words of the form of the sacrament.

This encyclical is very important especially given the requirements for the form for valid episcopal consecrations.  The pre-Vatican II form is very different than what is used today.  Fr Cekada does a great job of discussing the differences and whether the post-Vatican II EC's are valid here:

http://www.traditionalmass.org/images/articles/NewEpConsArtPDF2.pdf

As for CAF correcting the deacon?  lol  That would probably be like them correcting the Brother-poster although the first would probably be more likely than the latter.
Also known as 2Vermont in case you were wondering :-)