Are you happy with a Justice Kavanaugh?

Started by longstrangetrip5, July 11, 2018, 11:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longstrangetrip5

I was disappointed it wasn't Coney Barrett. I love that she is a practicing Catholic and has 7 children and is not afraid to let the world know she is Catholic.

But then I found out that Kavanaugh is also Catholic. Of course, in this post-Vatican2 age, we don't know what the true definition of Catholic is, do we? (sigh)

I don't really like what Kavanaugh says about Roe v Wade. Yes, it is established law, and that is not what he said that i dislike. I dislike that he apparently does not want to overturn R v W? Or at least that is what he is alleged to have SAID.

And yet the libs are screaming like banshees, thinking that is what he will do - overturn R v W (as if he can do it all by himself). The liberals are so under-informed, but I digress.

Another digression: SO happy last night when Laura Ingraham called a spade a spade about abortion: she said something about 50 (60?) million babies being murdered in the womb! Most other commentators @ FNC use the leftist version of murder: "reproductive rights" - "pro-choice" and all that gobbldygook. Even though I was in a public place when I watched that, I clapped and cheered.

Back to the new Justice:

I also don't like that Kavanaugh is OK with the government getting meta data from us w/o our permission! Rand Paul was going to say No to his confirmation over this issue. Well, I don't know if it's right for him to do that because, hopefully, the rest of the Court does not see this meta data issue the same way Bret K does. Getting meta data on its citizens is definitely a SEARCH and definitely a SEIZURE.

so anyway, I am wondering what others think of this guy

longstrangetrip5

i couldn't help getting this thought as I watched when Kavanaugh was chosen/announced:

How do you even get as far as that (nominee for Sup Ct Justice)

w/o compromising your Catholic beliefs and other principles (like being an American)?

Do you really have to pretend you are someone you're not to get ahead in this country?

well... hmmm...

Maybe sometimes the end kinda does justify the means?

hmmmmmm :popcorn: :shrug:

i mean, hey---

If R v W gets overturned, who (of the sane folks) is going to complain?

60 million unique, never-to-be-replaced human beings GONE from the earth forever...

that is no small thing (except to Stalin?).

TradGranny

I'm not sure. I found this:

Trump Court Prospect Accepted Assumption That Illegal Caught at Border Has Right to Abortion in U.S.
By Terence P. Jeffrey | July 8, 2018 | 6:33 PM EDT

(CNSNews.com) - Judge Brett Kavanaugh, who was appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia by President George W. Bush, accepted the assumption in a dissenting opinion he filed last October in the case of Garza v. Hargan that a teenage illegal alien caught at the border and put in detention has a right to an abortion in the United States.

At the same time, Kavanaugh conceded that "this case presents a new situation not yet directly confronted by the Supreme Court."

Kavanaugh argued that in saying the illegal alien teen had a right to abortion in the United States he was accepting the government's assumption regarding existing Supreme Court precedents.

Kavanaugh did say that the majority of the appeals court was mistaken in saying the illegal alien had "a right to immediate abortion on demand." [Emphasis added.] He argued the government could delay the abortion while seeking to find the illegal alien a sponsor.

Kavanaugh wrote that "under Supreme Court precedent in analogous contexts, it is not an undue burden for the U.S. Government to transfer an unlawful immigrant minor to an immigration sponsor before she has an abortion, so long as the transfer is expeditious."

In its own arguments in the case, the Trump administration did not take a position one way or the other on whether an illegal alien caught at the border has a right to an abortion in the United States. Instead, it was willing to assume this was the case rather than argue it.

But Kavanaugh's opinion based on that same assumption contrasted sharply with the argument made by the states of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Carolina in an amicus brief presented to the court. Those states argued that Supreme Court precedent did not in fact recognize a right to abortion in the United States for an illegal alien caught entering the country—and that there was, in fact, no such right.

Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson, Kavanaugh's colleague on the appeals court, also argued that an illegal alien caught entering the country did not have a constitutional right to have an abortion here.

"Does an alien minor who attempts to enter the United States eight weeks pregnant—and who is immediately apprehended and then in custody for 36 days between arriving and filing a federal suit—have a constitutional right to an elective abortion?" Henderson wrote in her dissenting opinion in the case of Garza v. Hargan.

"The government has inexplicably and wrongheadedly failed to take a position on that antecedent question," wrote Henderson. "I say wrongheadedly because at least to me the answer is plainly—and easily—no. To conclude otherwise rewards lawlessness and erases the fundamental difference between citizenship and illegal presence in our country."

In her opinion, Henderson summarized the facts of the case.

"In or about early July 2017, 17-year-old Jane Doe (J.D.) became pregnant," Henderson wrote. "On or about September 7, 2017, she attempted to enter the United States illegally and unaccompanied. By J.D.'s own admission, authorities detained her 'upon arrival.'"

"She has since remained in federal custody—in a federally funded shelter—because she is an 'unaccompanied alien child,'" Henderson said, noting that being an "unaccompanied alien child" means that Jane Doe is a child who "has no lawful immigration status in the United States" and "has not attained 18 years of age."

"J.D. requested an abortion," wrote Henderson. "The evidence before us is that it is an elective abortion: nothing indicates it is necessary to preserve J.D.'s health."

The Office of Refugee Resettlement, the agency of the Department of Health and Human Services which is responsible for unaccompanied alien minors, would not allow her to obtain an abortion while she was in its custody—requiring her to wait until she was handed over to a sponsor.

She sued—claiming the U.S. government was denying her the right to an abortion under the U.S. Constitution.

The state of Texas--and the eight other states that joined in its amicus brief to the U.S Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia--disagreed. These states argued that Supreme Court precedents did not extend a right to abortion to an illegal alien apprehended at the border.

Indeed, these states argued that if the principle underlying this notion were excepted than the United States would have to extend other constitutionally protected rights to apprehended illegal aliens—such as the right to keep and bear arms, which is expressly recognized by the Second Amendment.

"In this case, the district court has entered a TRO [temporary restraining order] effectively declaring that the U.S. Constitution confers on unlawfully-present aliens the absolute right to an abortion on demand even when they have no ties to this country other than the fact of their arrest while attempting to cross the border unlawfully," said Texas and the other eight states

more here:
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/trump-court-prospect-accepted-assumption-illegal-caught-border-has
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Antoninus

I would have preferred Amy Coney Barrett as well. AIthough, I think Judge Kavanaugh is the next best of the final four.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Xavier

Kavanaugh is above all a pragmatic choice. Trump seems to be going for a safe nominee, with a good educational background (Harvard and Yale graduates are typical for the court) who can be navigated through the Senate, where Republicans hold a slender majority. Kavanaugh is likely to be Gorsuch 2.0. There were concerns about him as well but he's governed as a very conservative justice. Both are strong at least on protecting religious freedom and so Obama style government forcing contraception on Church run institutions is an absolute thing of the past now, with that battle fully won. "And that, [liberal] critics say, is what gives them pause due to another high-profile Kavanaugh case: 2015's Priests for Life v. the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which involved an employer's religious objection to helping workers obtain insurance coverage for contraceptives ... "Kavanaugh would have granted more employers the ability to deny women access to no-copay birth control coverage" https://www.glamour.com/story/where-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-stands-womens-issues

He's not likely to be outright for attacking abortion, but when a reasonable 15 or maybe 12 week abortion ban from the states makes it up to the Supreme Court, he will probably be in favor of letting it stand. So unfortunately we may have to wait a little longer for a heartbeat 6 week ban, or a life at conception act.

On a more practical note, 46 senators have already confirmed they would support Kavanaugh, while 13 remain undecided as yet. So with 50 votes need, his selection is virtually guaranteed now, and Pence can be called in for a tiebreaking vote if that is even necessary. So if that is the strategy, it seems to be working. But Pryor and Barrett would have been better imho out of Trump's last 4 picks now and last time in that they would have caused the tide to turn faster. I don't think getting sufficient support for them would have been beyond question. But anyway, let's go with what is rather than what we would like it to be.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/12/17561692/senate-kavanaugh-confirmation-tracker

I agree with the others, and I'm disappointed the triumph of the pro-life cause is delayed. But that triumph is coming all the same. Perhaps from 1 or 2 years it has now been pushed back to 4 or 5 years. It can still be in around 3 years if a net 10 seats are swung in the Senate in November. "The U.S. Senate has 51 Republicans and 49 Democrats (including two independents). The 2018 Senate election takes place on November 6, 2018. There are 35 seats up in 2018*, of which 26 are held by Democrats." https://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/ In other words, if Republicans (having 9 out of 35 seats contesting) win 18 out of 35 seats, a simple majority, their tally of 51 will be increased to 60. It should be possible to increase it much beyond that, and we can have two much stronger Justices in the next 5 odd years, when Breyer, 78 and Ginsburg, 85, are removed by God.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

longstrangetrip5

Quote from: Heinrich on July 12, 2018, 06:23:53 PM
Good thread, LST5. Here is a perspective from Judge Napolitano, a Traditional Catholic:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2018/07/andrew-p-napolitano/filling-the-swamp/

well, that was very interesting.

I knew Kavanaugh was not a fan of privacy but I didn't know he was supportive of obamacare!

maybe I should re-read this but i thought that's what i read

the only thing i disagree w/ Napolitano on is: he voted for the Libertarian! Johnson was pro abortion..

I thought Napolitano is Catholic?

so much disappointment ---- 

longstrangetrip5

Quote5 odd years, when Breyer, 78 and Ginsburg, 85, are removed by God.

If God controlled things, R v W would never have happened

He gives us sinful humans power over good and evil, life & death

That was his first mistake

LOL

(God, I was kidding, OK?)

:ghost2:

Xavier

Yes, He allows man to do evil, but He also intervenes in history at critical moments, and gives us His servants the power to fight back; evil is solely from man, but no good happens without God. I share your disappointment. I would have liked two better Justices. However, Gorsuch has been decent. I believe Kavanaugh will be ok also. While the democrats are totally pro-abortion, the republicans are too slow imo. They want snail's pace incremental legislation. We should criminalize abortion and not just defund Planned Parenthood but prosecute it. as Sen. Cruz stated. Republicans have been slow. Their reason or excuse is their slim majority. My hope is that excuse goes after 2019, and there will be serious pro-life victories starting next year. Prosecute Planned Parenthood. Pass a Heartbeat Act in Congress. Let the courts challenge if they will, and try to defeat that. Keep reshaping the federal courts. If they do this, they will win re-election easily. America still has sufficient pro-life evangelicals and Catholics to win victory in a majority of states. Even some conservatives in government, saying they are pro-life, unfortunately don't treat this as the urgent issue of life and death that it is.

But many pro life orgnizations, maybe based on private conversations, have endorsed Kavanaugh. NPR: "We think there are 22 states likely to ban abortion without Roe" because of a combination of factors including existing laws and regulations on the books and the positions of the governors and state legislatures, says Amy Myrick, staff attorney at the Center for Reproductive Rights, which represents abortion-rights advocates in court ... "Judge Kavanaugh is an experienced, principled jurist with a strong record of protecting life and constitutional rights," said a written statement from Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of Susan B. Anthony List."
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

longstrangetrip5

Quote from: Xavier on July 14, 2018, 02:37:24 AM
Yes, He allows man to do evil, but He also intervenes in history at critical moments, and gives us His servants the power to fight back; evil is solely from man, but no good happens without God. I share your disappointment. I would have liked two better Justices. However, Gorsuch has been decent. I believe Kavanaugh will be ok also. While the democrats are totally pro-abortion, the republicans are too slow imo. They want snail's pace incremental legislation. We should criminalize abortion and not just defund Planned Parenthood but prosecute it. as Sen. Cruz stated. Republicans have been slow. Their reason or excuse is their slim majority. My hope is that excuse goes after 2019, and there will be serious pro-life victories starting next year. Prosecute Planned Parenthood. Pass a Heartbeat Act in Congress. Let the courts challenge if they will, and try to defeat that. Keep reshaping the federal courts. If they do this, they will win re-election easily. America still has sufficient pro-life evangelicals and Catholics to win victory in a majority of states. Even some conservatives in government, saying they are pro-life, unfortunately don't treat this as the urgent issue of life and death that it is.

But many pro life orgnizations, maybe based on private conversations, have endorsed Kavanaugh. NPR: "We think there are 22 states likely to ban abortion without Roe" because of a combination of factors including existing laws and regulations on the books and the positions of the governors and state legislatures, says Amy Myrick, staff attorney at the Center for Reproductive Rights, which represents abortion-rights advocates in court ... "Judge Kavanaugh is an experienced, principled jurist with a strong record of protecting life and constitutional rights," said a written statement from Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of Susan B. Anthony List."

you say 22 states are likely to ban abortion!

wow, I had not heard about that. Fox News doesn't talk about that kind of thing, probably because a lot of the commentators there do not seem to care about the abortion issue. They have drank the Kool-Aid of semantics, where murder is not murder but "choice" or reproductive "rights" and the baby's rights don't matter. I am not saying all or even most of the commentators think like that, but i have heard some use those stupid, de-humanizing terms.

in any case, i dont suppose u know which 22 states?

IT seems to me that a state could outlaw abortion and then the ACLU or some other lib organization would scream and holler and it would end up at the Sup Ct. Is that what is happening? Why, then, didn't pro life groups think of that b4? (I know I may be missing something here.. I am not a lawyer [although plenty of people throughout the yrs of my life have said i should be one---])

-