PLC Programming

Started by james03, June 01, 2021, 04:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

If you can code, a possible job for you is PLC programming.  Starting salary is $45K, and senior men make $100/hr.  If you start your own shop the billing rate is $180/hr., but you'll have to cover expenses.

Easiest way:
University of Houston.  Remote learning.  Very affordable.  Sign up for the following:
1.  PLC I
2.  PLC II

I don't know if this is available from UofH, but also add the following:

3.  MODBUS communications/Protocol.  Should take about a month.  Should be offered many places.
4.  Intro to networks.  You should know IP4 afterwards.  Getting the Cisco cert is a plus, but not necessary.

Benefits:
1.  Salary in the six figs is not hard to attain.
2.  Internships are available between year 1 and 2. 
3.  Jobs can't be outsourced to India.
4.  You will work among blue collar men at industrial sites.
5.  There is zero SJW courses you are required to take.
6.  Courses are affordable.

Downsides:
1.  Starting as an apprentice you will likely take a road job as a maintenance programmer.  Suitable only for young men in most cases.  Note eventually you can work a regular job at a large industrial site.
2.  You should know you have some aptitude in coding before taking the plunge.  The "language" is entirely different, but if you have an interest in programming, that's a plus.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

andy

Quote from: james03 on June 01, 2021, 04:10:05 PM
senior men make $100/hr.

All looks very inspiring, but I was always wondering how to measure an hour of programming?

Heinrich

Quote from: andy on June 01, 2021, 05:20:36 PM
senior men make $100/hr.

All looks very inspiring, but I was always wondering how to measure an hour of programming?

Looks like you are management potential.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

clau clau

If you can code, a possible job for you is PLC programming.  Starting salary is $45K, and senior men make $100/hr.  If you start your own shop the billing rate is $180/hr., but you'll have to cover expenses.

I am a bit old now but it's the kind of thing I would try if I was young. I am also on the wrong continent. Thanks for trying to motivate young people.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

james03

QuoteAll looks very inspiring, but I was always wondering how to measure an hour of programming?
LOL, same problem.  If you get up to get a cup of coffee, do you deduct the time?

I discovered the way around this is to give an estimate to the client for the total price.  I also believe certain "friction" in the project, like using the bathroom, answering a phone call, etc... are included in the quote.

At the end of the day my best advice is to come in under the estimate.  That gives you piece of mind.  Lump sum bids are another option, but they can be very dangerous for a small firm.  You have to be extremely diligent with the scope of work, and be quick with change orders.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

james03

QuoteI am a bit old now but it's the kind of thing I would try if I was young.

You might try it out as a hobby.  Used PLCs are cheap on EBAY.  I believe the IDE, RSLogix 500 is free, which is used for Allen Bradley MicroLogix PLCs.  Build a rig on some plywood with some switches and lights.  The hobby might turn into a side gig.

But I agree, this is a good business to get into as a young man.  Learning curve of 2 years is a problem for an older man looking to switch professions.