upcoming traditional fast days

Started by Jayne, October 25, 2020, 10:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Oct 28 is the feast of Sts. Simon and Jude.  Not too long ago, the vigil (Oct 27) as a fast day. 

Oct 31 is the vigil of All Saints (which somehow sounds more Catholic than Halloween) which is still a fast day recommended to SSPX associates, for example.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

diaduit

Is there an ember day soon?

plus Christmas eve fast .

Lynne

Quote from: diaduit on December 03, 2020, 02:03:30 AM
Is there an ember day soon?

plus Christmas eve fast .

Yes, the Advent Ember Days: December 16, 18, and 19

Ember Days Folklore:
According to folklore, the weather conditions of each of the three days of an Embertide foretells the weather conditions for the following three months.

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

MundaCorMeum

Didn't all of  Advent used to be a time of fasting?  Like a mini-lent?

Jacob

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on December 03, 2020, 06:53:01 AM

Yes, and it was longer, on par with Lent.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

aquinas138

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on December 03, 2020, 06:53:01 AM

It still is in the Byzantine tradition—40 days from November 15 to Christmas. It is less strict than Great Lent, though.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Jayne

Tomorrow (Dec 7) is the Vigil of the Immaculate Conception and a traditional fast day.  It is currently kept by priests and brothers of the SSPX.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

diaduit

Quote from: Jayne on December 06, 2020, 06:33:31 PM
Tomorrow (Dec 7) is the Vigil of the Immaculate Conception and a traditional fast day.  It is currently kept by priests and brothers of the SSPX.

Thank you, it had escaped me this year so luckily I'm still in time to do it.

diaduit

mikemac

"These fasts traditionally take place on the Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday following St Lucy's Day (13 December), the first Sunday in Lent, Pentecost (Whitsun), and Holy Cross Day (14 September)."

Is this what we are following?
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: mikemac on December 17, 2020, 08:02:49 PM
"These fasts traditionally take place on the Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday following St Lucy's Day (13 December), the first Sunday in Lent, Pentecost (Whitsun), and Holy Cross Day (14 September)."

Is this what we are following?

Yes, but I've always seen the second group associated with the week after Ash Wednesday, which is technically the same as after first Sunday in Lent.  I remember them as follows:  Lucy, Ash, Dove, Cross :)

mikemac

So I guess the traditional "Ash" fast is Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday of this week, or is it next week?

And according to this tread the fast is on Wednesdays and Fridays for the rest of Lent.

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=23993.0
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

MundaCorMeum

This up coming Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.