Heading for the Bakken

Started by james03, November 28, 2015, 01:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

After the prayer request, my old boss called me up out of the blue.  They are launching a new project up in the Bakken and he asked if I was available.  Money is good.  My wife and I were joking awhile back that I'd end up back up there right smack dab in the middle of winter.  Looks like we were right.

Anyhow, this offer fits well.  The money is still a lot better than you can get at other places, and I haven't worked since February.  I'm looking forward to working again with my brothers up there.

I won't be posting as much starting next week.  Should be a big change.  The company I work for has cut back from 21 drilling rigs to 4.  My buds told me it has really died down.

Thanks for those who prayed for this.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

dymphna17

Remember, dress in layers and keep your extremities warm!  So glad this is working out for you.  Take care.   8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Heinrich

Try to get some ice fishing in.  :grin:
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

maryslittlegarden

Hopefully gonna be a mild winter this year.  And prayers for the job.... .

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

james03

Delayed a week due to paperwork, but I'm flying out in the morning.  I'll be checking in on Sundays.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Lynne

Quote from: james03 on December 06, 2015, 10:11:10 PM
Delayed a week due to paperwork, but I'm flying out in the morning.  I'll be checking in on Sundays.

Good luck! We'll miss your frequent posts, oh well...  :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Greg

It would be ironic if the economic collapse, the internet EMP meltdown and world war III both kicked off while you were there.  ;D

Best of luck and remember to bring pocket warmers.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

james03

Not ironic.  Poetic.  There's a reason I'm up here, and I would take joy is seeing the last bright flash as the nukes went off over the missile silos, taking out the Bakken with it.

I'd know that all the maggots who are busy killing this place, one of the last places where men choose to Live and create (I repeat myself), instead of worshiping death, were also getting wiped out by God's Just Wrath.

james03

What does it mean to choose to live?

I remember when I was up here on my last assignment, I was talking to an old salt buddy who has forgotten more about projects than I'll ever know, and who still knows more than I do.  I said, "Olan, I want to see if you can explain something to me.  You are on a project, and it is ordered chaos, and you're going nuts getting it done, and men are everywhere, and then you're done.  And usually because I also do commissioning, I find myself a few days later on the project by myself.  All the men and equipment are gone.  And at times like this, I walk around looking at all we built, and I get a weird feeling. (At this point Olan cracked a big smile).  I don't know what that feeling is.  You want to call it sadness, but its kind of opposite of being sad, but you're not out there laughing. It's not a bad feeling, and actually its kinda good feeling. It's just this weird feeling I can't explain."

And Olan says, "James on every project, you leave a piece of yourself there.  And that's what you are feeling."  And I was floored because he nailed it.  In Catholic terms, we'd say "it" is the felicity due to magnanimity.

And so later I had my son up here, and we had Sundays off.  He had completed one well pad, and he wanted to show it to me.  So we hopped into the truck and drove out to the desolation, where there was this beautiful well pad.  We got out, and he started walking around looking at the whole site.  And he didn't speak much, just looked around.  And I thought, "my son is an oilman".  And I told him he was leaving a piece of himself here and that was a good thing.  And he showed me where he had signed his name, hidden in the corner of one of the buildings.

And the maggots hate this, because they are nihilists that worship death.  So I'd much rather see the flash of thermonuclear light, then let them destroy it, for they ARE destroying it, and I'm not talking about the Bakken.  And I would almost hear God, "you hate life and worship death?  I will give you what you want."  And I'd be thinking about some crazy London bloke laughing like a crazy man (though he would be the only one sane) running around yelling, "the end is nigh you faggots".

Yes, that would be poetic.

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

NCtradCath

I looked up and read about this place after your posts. Good luck and safe journey. It is good work.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Greg on December 14, 2015, 10:38:25 AM
I'm ready when He is.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h36j7aSsYWo[/yt]
this explained so much about your avatar...... what on earth is this movie
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Chestertonian

Quote from: james03 on December 13, 2015, 01:30:46 PM
What does it mean to choose to live?

I remember when I was up here on my last assignment, I was talking to an old salt buddy who has forgotten more about projects than I'll ever know, and who still knows more than I do.  I said, "Olan, I want to see if you can explain something to me.  You are on a project, and it is ordered chaos, and you're going nuts getting it done, and men are everywhere, and then you're done.  And usually because I also do commissioning, I find myself a few days later on the project by myself.  All the men and equipment are gone.  And at times like this, I walk around looking at all we built, and I get a weird feeling. (At this point Olan cracked a big smile).  I don't know what that feeling is.  You want to call it sadness, but its kind of opposite of being sad, but you're not out there laughing. It's not a bad feeling, and actually its kinda good feeling. It's just this weird feeling I can't explain."

And Olan says, "James on every project, you leave a piece of yourself there.  And that's what you are feeling."  And I was floored because he nailed it.  In Catholic terms, we'd say "it" is the felicity due to magnanimity.

And so later I had my son up here, and we had Sundays off.  He had completed one well pad, and he wanted to show it to me.  So we hopped into the truck and drove out to the desolation, where there was this beautiful well pad.  We got out, and he started walking around looking at the whole site.  And he didn't speak much, just looked around.  And I thought, "my son is an oilman".  And I told him he was leaving a piece of himself here and that was a good thing.  And he showed me where he had signed his name, hidden in the corner of one of the buildings.

And the maggots hate this, because they are nihilists that worship death.  So I'd much rather see the flash of thermonuclear light, then let them destroy it, for they ARE destroying it, and I'm not talking about the Bakken.  And I would almost hear God, "you hate life and worship death?  I will give you what you want."  And I'd be thinking about some crazy London bloke laughing like a crazy man (though he would be the only one sane) running around yelling, "the end is nigh you faggots".

Yes, that would be poetic.
wonderful story

i remember this desire to write my name on the wwoodem beamswhenver we did work on my childhood home, still is under the floorboards you explain it so well

Greg

Quote from: Chestertonian on January 18, 2016, 11:21:21 PM
Quote from: Greg on December 14, 2015, 10:38:25 AM
I'm ready when He is.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h36j7aSsYWo[/yt]
this explained so much about your avatar...... what on earth is this movie

2012.  The ultimate disaster movie.

Everything goes wrong and rich liberals end up ruling the planet.