Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Michael Wilson on November 14, 2020, 09:04:16 PM
Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 14, 2020, 01:15:35 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on November 14, 2020, 01:01:15 PM
C.O.G. If you are really interested in debating about Feeneyism etc. You can join Catholicinfo here: https://www.cathinfo.com/index.php
they have a whole section just dedicated to this topic here: https://www.cathinfo.com/baptism-of-desire-and-feeneyism/

Thanks but I already know about that and mentioned it in this thread.
Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 13, 2020, 04:28:47 PM
Another trad forum calls theirs the "Feeneyism Ghetto".
So what? They can call it what they want; you want an argument? Go argue over there. (Not that you are not welcome here).

I have no issue with the name of their sub-forum. I mentioned it in my pitch to this forum's admin as an example of what he could do with this forum.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

diaduit

C.O.G. If you are really interested in debating about Feeneyism etc. You can join Catholicinfo here: https://www.cathinfo.com/index.php
they have a whole section just dedicated to this topic here: https://www.cathinfo.com/baptism-of-desire-and-feeneyism/

So what? They can call it what they want; you want an argument? Go argue over there. (Not that you are not welcome here).

Good Lord, you've even rattled the forum gent GoG

Michael Wilson

I'm fine, I just don't see the logic here; he wants to argue about Feeneyism; its not allowed on this forum, but there is another forum where he can argue to his hearts content; and he doesn't want to argue over there; he wants to argue over here.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

GiftOfGod

Quote from: diaduit on November 14, 2020, 10:48:30 PM

You consider that "rattled"? lol
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

christulsa

Yes.  MW is like granite. 

Btw, are you coming to Christmas supper, Uncle Eb?   ;)

GiftOfGod

Quote from: christulsa on November 15, 2020, 01:56:54 PM
Yes.  MW is like granite. 

Oh, I think you meant to say that he was rattled by me. You said that I was rattled.

christulsa

Actually, I've always observed MW to have an unusual ability to keep his emotions subordinated to his will, practicing charity.  It only rarely takes unusually obnoxious behavior to rattle him even a little, which Diaduit observed in this case.   

So I'll set a place at the Christmas supper table for you. Hope you like venison. 

GiftOfGod

Quote from: christulsa on November 15, 2020, 04:20:10 PM
Actually, I've always observed MW to have an unusual ability to keep his emotions subordinated to his will, practicing charity.  It only rarely takes unusually obnoxious behavior to rattle him even a little, which Diaduit observed in this case.   

So I'll set a place at the Christmas supper table for you. Hope you like venison.

You're not making sense. Are you saying that me explaining my self calmly is "rattled"? Or that MW telling me off is "rattled"?

diaduit

Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 15, 2020, 04:24:27 PM
Quote from: christulsa on November 15, 2020, 04:20:10 PM

You're not making sense. Are you saying that me explaining my self calmly is "rattled"? Or that MW telling me off is "rattled"?

You know well what was said.  You're just egging on for enjoyment.

Jayne

If we all wrote in Latin, it would have been clear from the case whether "GoG" were a vocative or a noun in apposition.  GOG seems to have taken it as noun in apposition, interpreting this as saying that he is the "forum gent" and has been rattled.  However those of us who have been here longer realize that Michael Wilson is the "forum gent" and that diaduit is claiming that he has been rattled while addressing her comment to GOG.

The English is ambiguous in this sentence and requires context in order to understand it.  As a new poster GOG lacked the necessary context and misunderstood. 

Now that I have explained what everybody meant , you may all resume not talking about Feeneyism as per the forum rules.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Jayne on November 15, 2020, 04:42:09 PM

If we all wrote in Latin, it would have been clear from the case whether "GoG" were a vocative or a noun in apposition.  GOG seems to have taken it as noun in apposition, interpreting this as saying that he is the "forum gent" and has been rattled.  However those of us who have been here longer realize the Michael Wilson is the "forum gent" and that diaduit is claiming that he has been rattled while addressing her comment to GOG.

The English is ambiguous in this sentence and requires context in order to understand it.  As a new poster GOG lacked the necessary context and misunderstood. 

Now that I have explained what everybody meant , you may all resume not talking about Feeneyism as per the forum rules.

I think I understand it. She was being sarcastic, which could have been easily detectible if she used a comma and rearranged the sentence. For example:

"Good Lord, GoG, you've even rattled the forum gent."

christulsa

GiftOfGod, to whom or to what are you referring by "Gift" in your username?   :huh: 

Jayne

Quote from: christulsa on November 15, 2020, 05:02:31 PM
GiftOfGod, to whom or to what are you referring by "Gift" in your username?   :huh:

The names "Jonathan" and "Nathaniel" mean "gift of God" coming from the Hebrew and so do the names "Theodore" and "Dorothy" coming from the Greek and "Adeodatus" from Latin.  I suspect that most languages would have a variant of this name since it is typical for parents to see their children as a gift from God.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.