Was Jesus brown or white?

Started by Ragnarok, August 15, 2021, 11:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St.Justin

A recent facial reconstruction of a 10,000-year-old skeleton called the "Cheddar Man" has revealed a man with bright blue eyes, slightly curly hair, and dark skin.

Melkor

We'll find out in Heaven. See you there.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

lauermar

St. Maximilian Kolbe shrine in Illinois has a Shroud of Turin exhibit. They used the shroud markings to depict what Jesus looked like, using computer digitalized images and age regression. Here is a video about the process. It works! His face is beautiful. About the original question, why ask if His skin is white or brown? Is this curiosity, or is there an inference behind the question? He saved us from sin, and it doesn't matter what color He was.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/police-create-image-jesus-child-shroud-turin-computer/story?id=30823820#:~:text=The%20Shroud%20of%20Turin%20has%20a%20faint%20image,The%20Independent.%20Is%20Face%20of%20Jesus%20Christ%20Revealed%3F
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Miriam_M

Same thing as lauermar just posted, but here's the link without the video:

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/shroud-of-turin-jesus-as-a-boy-294761

Just beautiful, and definitely believable given the successive oral witness about His mother that I recently posted, combined with NDE accounts.

Ragnarok

Quote from: lauermar on August 18, 2021, 08:42:34 AM
About the original question, why ask if His skin is white or brown? Is this curiosity, or is there an inference behind the question? He saved us from sin, and it doesn't matter what color He was.

There's an evident agenda by trying to state, definitely, that Jesus had dark brown skin like a contemporary Arab.
Two sides of the same coin as the agenda of people who paint him as a white Aryan.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: St.Justin on August 17, 2021, 07:20:29 PM
A recent facial reconstruction of a 10,000-year-old skeleton called the "Cheddar Man" has revealed a man with bright blue eyes, slightly curly hair, and dark skin.
Found in Wisconsin?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Non Nobis

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 20, 2021, 03:28:19 PM
Quote from: St.Justin on August 17, 2021, 07:20:29 PM
Found in Wisconsin?
:cheeseheadbeer:
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Miriam_M on August 16, 2021, 01:17:43 PM
The following description of His Mother seems to coincide with several of the NDE reports regarding the Son:

Description Of The Virgin Mary By Epiphanius, Bishop Of Cyprus (Born about 320, died 404 a.d.)

QuoteTHE moral character and the material disposition of her youthful form were, according to Epiphanius, in this wise : He says:—

She was grave and dignified in all her actions. She spoke little and only when it was necessary to do so. She listened readily and could be addressed easily. She paid honour and respect (i.e. she saluted) everyone. She was of middle stature, but some say that she was of more than middle height. She was wont to speak to every one fearlessly and clearly, without laughter, and without agitation, and she was specially slow to anger. Her complexion was of the colour of ripe wheat, and her hair was auburn (or reddish). Her eyes were bright and keen, and light brown in colour, and the pupils thereof were of an olive-green tint. Her eyebrows were arched (or semicircular) and deep black. Her nose was long, her lips were red and full, and overflowing with the sweetness of her words. Her face was not round, but somewhat oblong (i.e. oval). Her hand was long and her fingers were long. She was wholly free from all ostentatious pride, and she was simple, unpretentious, and inclined to excessive humility. She wore garments of natural colours (i.e. undyed homespun), and was content with them, a fact which is even now proved by her holy head-cloth. And to sum up, she was filled with divine grace in all her ways.

https://little-office-of-the-bvm.blogspot.com/2014/10/description-of-virgin-mary-by.html?m=1

Where did Epiphanius get this detailed information from?
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on August 23, 2021, 05:14:43 AM
Quote from: Miriam_M on August 16, 2021, 01:17:43 PM
The following description of His Mother seems to coincide with several of the NDE reports regarding the Son:

Description Of The Virgin Mary By Epiphanius, Bishop Of Cyprus (Born about 320, died 404 a.d.)

QuoteTHE moral character and the material disposition of her youthful form were, according to Epiphanius, in this wise : He says:—

She was grave and dignified in all her actions. She spoke little and only when it was necessary to do so. She listened readily and could be addressed easily. She paid honour and respect (i.e. she saluted) everyone. She was of middle stature, but some say that she was of more than middle height. She was wont to speak to every one fearlessly and clearly, without laughter, and without agitation, and she was specially slow to anger. Her complexion was of the colour of ripe wheat, and her hair was auburn (or reddish). Her eyes were bright and keen, and light brown in colour, and the pupils thereof were of an olive-green tint. Her eyebrows were arched (or semicircular) and deep black. Her nose was long, her lips were red and full, and overflowing with the sweetness of her words. Her face was not round, but somewhat oblong (i.e. oval). Her hand was long and her fingers were long. She was wholly free from all ostentatious pride, and she was simple, unpretentious, and inclined to excessive humility. She wore garments of natural colours (i.e. undyed homespun), and was content with them, a fact which is even now proved by her holy head-cloth. And to sum up, she was filled with divine grace in all her ways.

https://little-office-of-the-bvm.blogspot.com/2014/10/description-of-virgin-mary-by.html?m=1

Fair question.  The way it was explained to us, by the priest who quoted from this account, was merely by successive eyewitness narration, which was later recorded in writing, and thus, this is probably the first written replication available to us.

Ragnarok

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on August 23, 2021, 05:14:43 AM

It does match with traditional Byzantine iconography, which served as the type for most Western depictions until the Renaissance (where artists started depicting their love interests, or beautiful European women, as the Virgin Mary)

I wonder if there's a relationship there in terms of images influencing Ephiphanius (some icons were allegedly painted by St. Luke) or the images being influenced by that description.