Morality of buying expensive things

Started by TandJ, February 27, 2021, 02:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristusRex

Quote from: Melkor on March 18, 2021, 08:04:43 AM
Hmm @TandJ if you are looking for a good book on our Faith I recommend the Spirago. Very good. Sorry @ChristusRex, I misunderstood your tone. Easy to do with just text and no voice.  :)

No worries. Sorry, I'm sure it read as being quite abrasive. I was trying to be firm in my advice because the scrupulous need straightforward advice without any doubt.
The Lord our God from tree doth reign

TandJ

So how do I form my conscience in the meanwhile? My priest doesn't have time to answer every thing I ask about... and books can be hit or miss or not have the answers. I'm not trying to be a pain.

The puppy is very sweet and we are happy we got her

Melkor

Well, until you can get everything sorted out with your priest, I would advise reading a catechism and form your conscience off of that. Never hurts to pick up a good spiritual book to quell your scruples and bring peace to your soul. I recommend Introduction to the Devout Life by Francis de Sales and Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis. Also, if you are 'scruping out' about minor issues, remember it is a venial sin even if you are guilty. And also, being too scrupulous is a sin too. :) I will pray for you.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Gardener

Quote from: Melkor on March 18, 2021, 11:49:35 AM
Well, until you can get everything sorted out with your priest, I would advise reading a catechism and form your conscience off of that. Never hurts to pick up a good spiritual book to quell your scruples and bring peace to your soul. I recommend Introduction to the Devout Life by Francis de Sales and Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis. Also, if you are 'scruping out' about minor issues, remember it is a venial sin even if you are guilty. And also, being too scrupulous is a sin too. :) I will pray for you.

Certain spiritual works might actually be harmful depending on one's temperament. Things like the Imitation can throw a Melancholic into a tailspin, whereas a Choleric needs such works.

I attached a copy of Fr. Kappes' articles on the temperaments in this post:
https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=19629.msg435033#msg435033
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

mikemac

If you decide to read Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis this digital version has the same Practical Reflections and Prayers after each chapter as my hard copy.

http://www.catholictradition.org/Classics/christ2.htm

By the way, the correct name of the book is 'The Following of Christ'.  'Imitation of Christ' is part of the title of the first chapter, which a lot of people call it now.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Melkor

@Gardener yeah I see your point. My sanguine self needs some strictness once in a while. Not everyone is the same.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Lynne

Quote from: TandJ on March 18, 2021, 11:20:38 AM
So how do I form my conscience in the meanwhile? My priest doesn't have time to answer every thing I ask about... and books can be hit or miss or not have the answers. I'm not trying to be a pain.

The puppy is very sweet and we are happy we got her

Yes, books can be hit or miss but what did not appeal to a person at one point can be more edifying down the road.

Relax. Don't overthink things. If you could afford the puppy, i.e. not go into debt and not skip required payments, you're fine. A pet is a wonderful addition to a family.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"