go to bed

Started by Carleendiane, September 11, 2016, 01:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

christulsa

Quote from: Matamoros on June 27, 2017, 05:15:40 PM
This kind of humor is a tricky thing though. As Jayne says, it can be a mask for truly malicious remarks. And even when well meant, it can still strike someone in a vulnerable moment and do serious damage. On the other hand, it can also be a mark of the deepest friendship. Precisely because there is a lot of truth in those jabs, when our friends laugh at us, with us, what they are really saying is that they see our faults, see them clearly, but love us all the same.

I have yet to master the art of ironic humor, but that is often how I think about life.  Saying that Ches' threads are nihilistic and we should ignore them, my intended and poorly used rhetoric device was irony.  Meaning that my words conveyed the opposite of what they literally are saying.

Ches' threads dont strike me as nihilistic but being an inquisitive gadfly trying to make sense of the human condition, including his own. 

Chestertonian

Quote from: Carleendiane on June 26, 2017, 08:53:11 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on June 26, 2017, 07:46:29 PM
I brought a pan of brownies to my therapy group, and everyone liked them. :) Then I came home and organized my ebook library (one of my favorite things to do these days). Tried to settle down to actually reading one of my ebooks, with limited success. Tried French; no go. Tried English; no go. Tomorrow I might try Spanish: there's that biography of St. Teresa that just might tempt me enough to stay engaged. Spent some time on my exercise bike: doc wasn't kidding when he said my medication would increase my appetite!  :o

Brownies are always a winner. Do you make them from scratch Bird? About meds. I am taking lyrica, a med for nerve pain. They say it causes weight gain. I have yet to take the 3 a day I am supposed to. Weight gain I do not need. Why oh why is this such a common side effect? Really, we are told all the time this country has a terrible obesity problem and yet, so many of our meds can cause weight gain. Why? We are destined to fail at our weight loss plans with meds like this!

Thanks for stopping by...got anymore brownies?
wishlyrica would give me some weight gain
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Matamoros

Quote from: christulsa on June 27, 2017, 05:32:31 PM
This kind of humor is a tricky thing though. As Jayne says, it can be a mask for truly malicious remarks. And even when well meant, it can still strike someone in a vulnerable moment and do serious damage. On the other hand, it can also be a mark of the deepest friendship. Precisely because there is a lot of truth in those jabs, when our friends laugh at us, with us, what they are really saying is that they see our faults, see them clearly, but love us all the same.

I have yet to master the art of ironic humor, but that is often how I think about life.  Saying that Ches' threads are nihilistic and we should ignore them, my intended and poorly used rhetoric device was irony.  Meaning that my words conveyed the opposite of what they literally are saying.

Ches' threads dont strike me as nihilistic but being an inquisitive gadfly trying to make sense of the human condition, including his own. 

Just to be clear, I was speaking of roasting in general, not your remarks here, Chris. I don't know SD well enough to get most inside jokes, so this whole discussion went right past me until the topic turned to the humor of roasting in general, though I think Jayne might have mentioned that in another thread...

Carleendiane

Quote from: christulsa on June 27, 2017, 05:32:31 PM

At the risk of offending some one somewhere  on this planet I do believe we will close this topic about humor... good humor, bad humor, roasting, unwrapping, oysters stinking and just carry on. This thread is enjoyable. All that needs to be said has been said. Chris and Mata, love you guys. Chris, Ches, Mata, sometimes Martin, you guys are a delight when you pop in. Keeps this from being too girly.

So no more be said. Besides, I may be on the verge of saying something stupid. Can't have that. I am the host of this good night, go to bed thread, you bed heads.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Matamoros

Big Mama locuta est...

christulsa

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 27, 2017, 05:29:10 PM
Just coming in to say I'm not offended  :cheeseheadbeer:

(edit: didn't see Carleene's edict before posting this  :))

Seeeee ladies.  He wasn't offended!   :)

To conclude Chris'-inappopriate-roast-of-Ches-Gate, would you be willing to answer the following survey question?

Chris' roast was:

a) perhaps objectively inappropriate but I knew Chris had no malice

b) an appropriate, albeit ambiguous and oddly worded, form of ironic humor

c) just weird but thats ok

Carleendiane

Hey, I forgot!!!!! Go to bed you bed heads is now OPEN!!!! Come to me all ye who are weary and heavy laiden. Yes, do come, bring munchies, bring veggies...um....no veggies..bring mixed drinks, soft drinks, decaf coffee, vitamins, melatonin, benydryl, iced tea, ice cream, frozen gelatin, frog legs. Mama says wear your jammies, slippers, and beer T- shirts. Bring swords, darts, and horses. Just park horses outside. Got a tie bar put up for Mata!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

MundaCorMeum

We have margaritas (the real deal, not the pizza) and chicken tacos.  Help yourselves. Little mama's tired (fun factoid.....my family actually does call me 'big mama' to be silly sometimes, but I won't be stealing Carleen's title here).

dymphna17

I've got 3 types of homemade ice cream, peach, strawberry, and vanilla.  There are sugar cones, waffles, cantaloupe or just plain old bowls for the ice cream puritans.  There is a blender in the corner if you desire a milk shake. 

I've got my night meds to take so I'll sleep tonight.  Changed into one of Hubby's HD t-shirts.  Got my S&W M&P .40 on my side and my .38 on my ankle, both locked and loaded.  Bring on the night!!
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Carleendiane

Quote from: dymphna17 on June 27, 2017, 07:35:27 PM
I've got 3 types of homemade ice cream, peach, strawberry, and vanilla.  There are sugar cones, waffles, cantaloupe or just plain old bowls for the ice cream puritans.  There is a blender in the corner if you desire a milk shake. 

I've got my Gabapentin, Nortriptyline, Sleep MD, Unisom, and Fiorinol to take so I'll sleep tonight.  Changed into one of Hubby's HD t-shirts.  Got my S&W M&P .40 on my side and my .38 on my ankle, both locked and loaded.  Bring on the night!!

Wow dymph, may I sleep on the floor right next to you? You are so safe to be around. And I bought a summer nightgown. It will be a sleepover!

Carleendiane

G-nite. See you in the morning when I have cultivated an appropriate bed head for coffee time.

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on June 27, 2017, 07:38:41 PM
Quote from: dymphna17 on June 27, 2017, 07:35:27 PM

I've got my Gabapentin, Nortriptyline, Sleep MD, Unisom, and Fiorinol to take so I'll sleep tonight.  Changed into one of Hubby's HD t-shirts.  Got my S&W M&P .40 on my side and my .38 on my ankle, both locked and loaded.  Bring on the night!!

Wow dymph, may I sleep on the floor right next to you? You are so safe to be around. And I bought a summer nightgown. It will be a sleepover!

Dare I tell you the shotgun with laser beam is up against the wall, poised and ready? :lol:  Come on down!   ;) 8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

christulsa

Bringing out a tray of frothy guiness beers and filet mignon shooters in a spirit of reparation for my blunder.

May waves of serenity sooth your nerves tonight as you fall into a deep, child-like slumber.  May all worries of the day fade off into the sunset as your mind is filled with relaxing and rejuvenating dreams. 

dymphna17

Quote from: christulsa on June 27, 2017, 08:12:12 PM
Bringing out a tray of frothy guiness beers and filet mignon shooters in a spirit of reparation for my blunder.

May waves of serenity sooth your nerves tonight as you fall into a deep, child-like slumber.  May all worries of the day fade off into the sunset as your mind is filled with relaxing and rejuvenating dreams.

Wow!  Could you blunder a little more often?   :P ;)
?

dymphna17

Rosary finished - check
Night prayers for everyone at SD finished - check
Dishes done - check
Jammies on - check
Teeth brushed and mirrors squeegeed - check

Looks like everyone is just about ready.  Sleepy, we are getting very sleepy...

?