go to bed

Started by Carleendiane, September 11, 2016, 01:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

Quote from: christulsa on June 14, 2017, 10:26:18 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on June 14, 2017, 09:58:38 PM
Quote from: christulsa on June 14, 2017, 07:25:54 PM
Quote from: Carleendiane on June 14, 2017, 06:47:14 PM
Open!!!! Now if I just put a few brewskis out maybe make some decaf, or a few snacks you will come keep mama company.

I'll take a beer, what kind you got, and share some seasonal grilled teriyaki June bug shishkabobs.  :hide: 

Doc visit today.  Very low pain day.  Feels step forward Long nap.  $5 little Caesars pizza.  Kicking back with Peanut my Dauchshund reading about St. Athanasius.

How was your day Big Mama, Ches, Dymph, Mata, Non, and other Gotobed regulars?

gladyou had a low painday

ihad more energy today than yesterday.  yesterday i went to my sons 504 meeting at his school which went pretty well but it used up allmy energy for the day and bythe time we got home I was so tired I slept through the walk from the car to our apartment and slept rhrough the transfer to my bed

then went to my day program today.  Didn't bite anyone this time.  had PT, talked to a friend, nap, group therapy with counselor, another nap, and OT i the multisensory room which alwys relaxes me although it's also super weird too.  kind of meditative almost

Thx. It was a day of relief.

Slept a lot after being tired.  Me too.  I lie down lately afternoons for a little snooze and wake up a couple hours later.  Probably the meds.

Good no bites today. Lol. What is it like talking with the device you use over your vocal cords.  Can you have a pretty good conversation with it?  They should have different voices you can choose from, not just the robotic voice, programmed to mimic what you would normally sound like?  Or cool voices like a celebrity or funny ones for your kids.

Multisensory room.  Curious.  Weird but meditative.  I might like that.  :)

I am still able to speak with my natural voice.  I have a speaking valve which basically adjusts the flow of air in such a way where some air goes into the upper airway,through the larynx and mouth.  the issue is that I dont have the speaking valve all the time.  Can't sleep with the speaking valve so they take it out.  The trach has a "cuff" so once that is inflated, no sound comes out at all so at that point you have to use some other way of communicating.  some people will make clickng noises with their mouth and i have resorted to that but an easier way to get the point across is an AAC device. i have an app called Proloquo2Go which is an assistive communication app which has a lot of preprogrammed phrases that i can easily press a button and it will say it for me.  also whn i enter text it will predict what i am trying to say.  it's a little awkward but at this point I'm just glad to be able to say things.  I would love a Mr. T voice

the multisensory room is pretty cool.   They are being used in a lot of places now... supposed to help elderly people with dementia, autistic people, children with developmental disabilities, sensory processing disorder, and they have tried it with vets with PTSD too.  I think the premise is that our bodies and brains crave sensory input and when you have a disability sometimes you don't get as much sensory input as someone who is able bodied.  People with certain neurological/psychiatric issues also might have different needs as far as snsory input goes too, like an autistic child might get overstimulated easily so the sensory room is a place where they can "tune out" a lot of stimulation and only focus on one thing at a time.  I think with a lot of disabled people, opportunities for sensory input/stimulation are pretty limited.  a person who is able bodied might find it relaxing to have  acup of coffee.  The smell, warm sensation and taste are calmig to them.  Or they may enjoy going for a run or even adrive in the car which gives them the sensation of their body moving through space (proprioception).  Or they might go outside and sit in nature for awhile, maybe run their toes through the grass or listen to the birds in the trees.  Whereas a lot of people in nursing homes dont get to do this.  you're in a sterile environment with flourescent lights and the only exposure to nature you get is looking out the window.  I am lucky that I live at home and do get to go outside sometimes.  Even basic household chores have some sensory input attached to them, like the sensation of water flowing over your hands as you wash dishes, the smell of clean laundry, or the tactile experience of chopping vegetables or baking bread.  you lose a lot of sensory input when you cant reach out and touch things in your environment.  so while it's incredibly weird to sit under a weighted blanket and play with lighted fiber optic wire watching the colors change, it is pretty nice still and I'm usually a lot calmer afterwards.  i think it helps with PTSD too because so much of PTSD is rooted in dissociation from your body and having an inability to be fully mentally there in the present, in your own body.  hard to explain.  stuff like flashbacksends up pulling you back into the past whereas the sensory stuff helps you stay connected to the present.  kind of like a mini vacation from a lot of the poking prodding dissociation flashbacks etc

on one level, it's completely ridiculous to be a 35 year old man staring at a cylinder filled with colorful bubbles with a switch that changes the color, while lying on a vibrating beanbag thingy.   a lot of it might seem silly or childish but then again, can't do most things that 35 year old men do for sensory input like weightlifting, eating, goingoutdoors, driving etc. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

MundaCorMeum

Thank you, Carleen and dymph!  Your made my heart lighter, and gave me just want I needed to start today with joy and the resignation to do the day well; rather than my usual feelings of being defeated and "I'm such a failure, why even bother trying again....I won't succeed"

christulsa

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 15, 2017, 12:12:33 AM
Open!!!! Now if I just put a few brewskis out maybe make some decaf, or a few snacks you will come keep mama company.

I'll take a beer, what kind you got, and share some seasonal grilled teriyaki June bug shishkabobs.  :hide: 

Doc visit today.  Very low pain day.  Feels step forward Long nap.  $5 little Caesars pizza.  Kicking back with Peanut my Dauchshund reading about St. Athanasius.

ihad more energy today than yesterday.  yesterday i went to my sons 504 meeting at his school which went pretty well but it used up allmy energy for the day and bythe time we got home I was so tired I slept through the walk from the car to our apartment and slept rhrough the transfer to my bed

then went to my day program today.  Didn't bite anyone this time.  had PT, talked to a friend, nap, group therapy with counselor, another nap, and OT i the multisensory room which alwys relaxes me although it's also super weird too.  kind of meditative almost

Slept a lot after being tired.  Me too.  I lie down lately afternoons for a little snooze and wake up a couple hours later.  Probably the meds.

Good no bites today. Lol. What is it like talking with the device you use over your vocal cords.  Can you have a pretty good conversation with it?  They should have different voices you can choose from, not just the robotic voice, programmed to mimic what you would normally sound like?  Or cool voices like a celebrity or funny ones for your kids.

I am still able to speak with my natural voice.  I have a speaking valve which basically adjusts the flow of air in such a way where some air goes into the upper airway,through the larynx and mouth.  the issue is that I dont have the speaking valve all the time.  Can't sleep with the speaking valve so they take it out.  The trach has a "cuff" so once that is inflated, no sound comes out at all so at that point you have to use some other way of communicating.  some people will make clickng noises with their mouth and i have resorted to that but an easier way to get the point across is an AAC device. i have an app called Proloquo2Go which is an assistive communication app which has a lot of preprogrammed phrases that i can easily press a button and it will say it for me.  also whn i enter text it will predict what i am trying to say.  it's a little awkward but at this point I'm just glad to be able to say things.  I would love a Mr. T voice

the multisensory room is pretty cool.   They are being used in a lot of places now... supposed to help elderly people with dementia, autistic people, children with developmental disabilities, sensory processing disorder, and they have tried it with vets with PTSD too.  I think the premise is that our bodies and brains crave sensory input and when you have a disability sometimes you don't get as much sensory input as someone who is able bodied.  People with certain neurological/psychiatric issues also might have different needs as far as snsory input goes too, like an autistic child might get overstimulated easily so the sensory room is a place where they can "tune out" a lot of stimulation and only focus on one thing at a time.  I think with a lot of disabled people, opportunities for sensory input/stimulation are pretty limited.  a person who is able bodied might find it relaxing to have  acup of coffee.  The smell, warm sensation and taste are calmig to them.  Or they may enjoy going for a run or even adrive in the car which gives them the sensation of their body moving through space (proprioception).  Or they might go outside and sit in nature for awhile, maybe run their toes through the grass or listen to the birds in the trees.  Whereas a lot of people in nursing homes dont get to do this.  you're in a sterile environment with flourescent lights and the only exposure to nature you get is looking out the window.  I am lucky that I live at home and do get to go outside sometimes.  Even basic household chores have some sensory input attached to them, like the sensation of water flowing over your hands as you wash dishes, the smell of clean laundry, or the tactile experience of chopping vegetables or baking bread.  you lose a lot of sensory input when you cant reach out and touch things in your environment.  so while it's incredibly weird to sit under a weighted blanket and play with lighted fiber optic wire watching the colors change, it is pretty nice still and I'm usually a lot calmer afterwards.  i think it helps with PTSD too because so much of PTSD is rooted in dissociation from your body and having an inability to be fully mentally there in the present, in your own body.  hard to explain.  stuff like flashbacksends up pulling you back into the past whereas the sensory stuff helps you stay connected to the present.  kind of like a mini vacation from a lot of the poking prodding dissociation flashbacks etc

on one level, it's completely ridiculous to be a 35 year old man staring at a cylinder filled with colorful bubbles with a switch that changes the color, while lying on a vibrating beanbag thingy.   a lot of it might seem silly or childish but then again, can't do most things that 35 year old men do for sensory input like weightlifting, eating, goingoutdoors, driving etc.

Ah ok.  Didn't realize you can still talk.  Reminds me of movie with Christopher Reeves after his accident.  He was able to talk but only in pieces waiting for the breathing machine to cycle.  All this time I imagined you would putting a device to your vocal cords that made a robotic voice.  That's a good thing you still can use your voice as long as that valve is attached.

Yeah that Multisensory room does at first sound kind of weird but if it works for what you need, that's what counts.  I might like it.  With my constant facial pain for months now I feel kind of disconnected from normal life in my body.   I guess its called disassociation.  You tune out a lot of things in your environment that are just too stressful to focus on.  So I can see how gazing into a cylinder with changing colors could calm the mind and make you feel more centered.  I'll watch YouTube videos like that.

christulsa

Uneventful day.  Slept late.  Answered a PM. Replied to Ches.  Ate slice of Little Caesars.  Too hot to walk.  Couple pain spikes.  Read with dog in lap.  Watched 600 pound show.  FB.  Napped.  Hot pad.  Few phone calls.  Pbj.  Need a jumpstart tomorrow..  Prayers I'm better soon to work.  Wouldn't mind hanging with Ches sometimes in the Multisensory room.  Wait was today a feast day?  Tomorrow a day of activities with wife.  Carleene's get up and go attitude will be my inspiration.  Online for a while gotobeders.

Check out my blog sometime:  www.okietraditionalist.blogspot.com
May post tonight

Carleendiane

Quote from: christulsa on June 15, 2017, 07:28:45 PM
Uneventful day.  Slept late.  Answered a PM. Replied to Ches.  Ate slice of Little Caesars.  Too hot to walk.  Couple pain spikes.  Read with dog in lap.  Watched 600 pound show.  FB.  Napped.  Hot pad.  Few phone calls.  Pbj.  Need a jumpstart tomorrow..  Prayers I'm better soon to work.  Wouldn't mind hanging with Ches sometimes in the Multisensory room.  Wait was today a feast day?  Tomorrow a day of activities with wife.  Carleene's get up and go attitude will be my inspiration.  Online for a while gotobeders.

Check out my blog sometime:  www.okietraditionalist.blogspot.com
May post tonight

Christulsa, I did check it out. I like your writings and sentiment. Honestly found it much like you post on the forum. You have a good, light hearted personality and it shows on your blog. As Dymphna, somewhere on this forum, maybe right here in go to bed, said, that is a beautiful tornado!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 15, 2017, 12:12:33 AM

Ches, count me in. I too would love to spend a day in your multisensory room. It would be so very interesting. I like bubbles.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

Hi Heinrich! I see you are on,  please, stop in for a cold German beer. You do not have to go to bed if you stop by   ;) promise.

Carleendiane

Hey, I hesitate to  talk about this being your humble mama, but....has anyone noticed anything special about Good Morning? Hint: popular thread, which I hesitate to say, being a humble mama!

christulsa

Quote from: Carleendiane on June 15, 2017, 09:33:38 PM
Hey, I hesitate to  talk about this being your humble mama, but....has anyone noticed anything special about Good Morning? Hint: popular thread, which I hesitate to say, being a humble mama!

I neglect it Humble Mama.  Slept in late.  Took mom to grocery store.  Picked up wife from work.  Battled heat with no car A.C. (getting repaired tomorrow).  Rested.  Wife and I went to Long John Silvers for fish.  Evening walk soon when temps cooler. How was your day?? TGIF.  I'll check in later.

Matamoros

Another hot day here. My car said it was 114 degrees, parked in the shade.

Would anyone like some ice cold watermelon?

christulsa

Quote from: Matamoros on June 16, 2017, 06:11:29 PM
Another hot day here. My car said it was 114 degrees, parked in the shade.

Would anyone like some ice cold watermelon?

I would Mata!!!  So no A.C. in the car?

Mine went out last summer. $1000 to replace.  But neighbor is sure its just a leak he can fix.  Will find out tomorrow.

dymphna17

I think we missed Mama's point... um... something like 200 PAGES!!!!!!  CONGRATULATIONS ON HAVING A HAPPY THREAD THAT HAS MADE IT TO 200!!!   COME ON BOYS!!!  WOO HOO IT UP!!   :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :thumbsup: :patriot: :whistling: 

We need Bernadette with her most excellent emoji skills.

I'll put the picture over there.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Bernadette

200 pages!  ;D :beer: :grin: I love this thread. :)
My Lord and my God.

Matamoros

Quote from: christulsa on June 16, 2017, 06:23:11 PM

I would Mata!!!  So no A.C. in the car?

Oh, I have air-conditioning! God forbid! That was just the temperature my car's thermometer showed when I went to start it, after having left it parked in the shade of a tree.

QuoteMine went out last summer. $1000 to replace.  But neighbor is sure its just a leak he can fix.  Will find out tomorrow.

That's rough! I hope your neighbor is right and you get it sorted out soon.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Bernadette on June 16, 2017, 07:33:20 PM
200 pages!  ;D :beer: :grin: I love this thread. :)

Me too; and I love it that you are back on it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  <-- heat waves
A heat wave is predicted here for this weekend.  My air conditioning is OK, but it is decades old so I always worry a bit!
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!