go to bed

Started by Carleendiane, September 11, 2016, 01:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 26, 2017, 05:10:42 PM
I know it says go to bed. But, don't go now, unless you need to be up by 430. Just sayin, you'll be wandering around wondering what to do with yourself. That's usually what I get for going to sleep too early. So. Do not go to bed too early. You hear me? Besides, you'll just meet Dymphna in the 4:30 thread, wandering around. She'll want to yak and you know you won't be falling back to sleep again.

Yep, that's me!  I'm a yakker.   :rofl:  Of course you would be the first one in my life to call me that, but who's counting?  You're on a roll, so maybe...

And for the wanderers, be sure to identify yourself as soon as you see me or if I ask, while I'm out on my rounds. I'd hate to be the one who helps you meet your Maker because I thought you were a coyote or a Chupacabra or some weird thing.   ;)   8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

christulsa

I know it says go to bed. But, don't go now, unless you need to be up by 430. Just sayin, you'll be wandering around wondering what to do with yourself. That's usually what I get for going to sleep too early. So. Do not go to bed too early. You hear me? Besides, you'll just meet Dymphna in the 4:30 thread, wandering around. She'll want to yak and you know you won't be falling back to sleep again.

I'll be up for a while.  Kept busy today, but had an emotional challenge in the afternoon.  So I'm indulging myself tonight, drinking modest amounts of whiskey and eating little debbie oatmeal snacks.

By the way, why are you all dealing with so much chronic insomnia?  Me it started in January with my low back injury, worsened from the facial nerve injury, and became hellish when Ambien didn't do the trick.  Now the sleep is somewhat stabilizing, and Melatonin gets me to sleep.

Carleendiane

Hi Chris. I have been sleeping  pretty well lately. Happy to report. Dymphna, my friend, has not had normal sleep since 4 years old. Mine comes and goes. ?ately melatonin has been useful. Have a good sleep tonight. Wish I had a cookie in my house.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

christulsa

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 26, 2017, 08:48:02 PM
Hi Chris. I have been sleeping  pretty well lately. Happy to report. Dymphna, my friend, has not had normal sleep since 4 years old. Mine comes and goes. ?ately melatonin has been useful. Have a good sleep tonight. Wish I had a cookie in my house.

That's good.  Yeah that pic you posted a few days ago got me worried--the one of someone falling out of bed. 

I bought some more melatonin today.  5mg tablets.  But couldn't find the timed-release.  Maybe they sell it at Wholefoods.

Dymphna, you have a sleep disorder of some kind?  since you were little?? 

Chestertonian

heh.....that's what happened to me except i didnt have my speaking valve on and my wife hadme lyingon the side thatis awayfrom my tablet sowokeupandcouldntgo back to sleep andcouldnt talk

went to bed right after my son went to bed d
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Carleendiane

Open now!! Come and tell me about your day....again. Me, I went to therapy and they worked my shoulder every which way. Very gently, but thoroughly. Actually hurt in a good way. Not complaining, I have a very good therapist, same one I used after my stroke. He has done therapy for TOS patients, but not one with arterial involvement or one that actually had the surgery due to Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Really, the only difference with a patient like me is the effects of the surgery make me more likely to have much more pain upon exercise. Just a bit slow going.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

christulsa

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 27, 2017, 06:33:58 PM
Open now!! Come and tell me about your day....again. Me, I went to therapy and they worked my shoulder every which way. Very gently, but thoroughly. Actually hurt in a good way. Not complaining, I have a very good therapist, same one I used after my stroke. He has done therapy for TOS patients, but not one with arterial involvement or one that actually had the surgery due to Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Really, the only difference with a patient like me is the effects of the surgery make me more likely to have much more pain upon exercise. Just a bit slow going.

Kudos Carleene.  You made it to the starting line--ie first day of therapy.  Before you know it, your arm will be--more or less anyway--restored.   There are good sleeping positions for TOS, btw, mainly avoiding putting your arm above the head. check out youtube

Me I woke up somehow at 11:30am.  Slept 12 hours.  Maybe it was the 5mg of Melatonin or adding Valerian root, or part of my insomnia recovery.  Decided to take a break from the world for a day.  Back in the saddle tomorrow.

Carleendiane

Quote from: christulsa on April 27, 2017, 07:22:48 PM

Kudos Carleene.  You made it to the starting line--ie first day of therapy.  Before you know it, your arm will be--more or less anyway--restored.   There are good sleeping positions for TOS, btw, mainly avoiding putting your arm above the head. check out youtube

Me I woke up somehow at 11:30am.  Slept 12 hours.  Maybe it was the 5mg of Melatonin or adding Valerian root, or part of my insomnia recovery.  Decided to take a break from the world for a day.  Back in the saddle tomorrow.

Thanks Chris, yes, I'm on my way. And you, well, you too are on your way. If you can sleep, you can heal. Saddle tomorrow? Sounds good! Yup, on your way! This is good.

dymphna17

I was wondering if that had started yet.  It always amazed me how those physical therapists could be gentle in such a non-forgiving way.  Every time Dad ended up in the hospital or had another surgery he had to do pt.  He would get mad, cuss like a sailor, and do everything he could to get out of it, but he put the work in and it showed.  Mom otoh, would do the work while she was at their office, but wouldn't do any of it at home.  And it showed.  I sneaked into one of Mom's sessions once to see if I could figure out how to help her after she had knee replacement surgery.  The PT, the same man that had been working with Dad for years, was probably one of the kindest, most gentle men I had ever met.  He picked up on what Mom was doing, or rather NOT doing, right away and nailed her with it.  He had the patience of Job with Dad (I prayed so hard for that man!), but he knew just how to nudge Mom, while she was in the office.  A few months later, I went back in to watch Mom.  I was so frustrated with her because I knew she wasn't doing her exercises at home.  The PT told me to come in after about 10 minutes of her being in there and to just watch for a little bit before announcing my presence.  I couldn't believe it!  Even without her doing her exercises at home, he had her walking up steps, turning around, and even had her doing squats!  I wanted to cry!  I noticed that he was very gentle yet firm with her.  I sure admired his ability to know what people needed in order to help them help themselves.  It takes a special kind of person to do that kind of work.  I jokingly asked him once if he ever got frustrated and went home and beat his kids.  He looked me straight in the eye, and in all seriousness said, "no, not yet", and winked.   ;)   :lol:

I sure hope your pt is like this man, Carleen.  You too Ches.  He was a real blessing to me.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Carleendiane

Quote from: dymphna17 on April 27, 2017, 07:48:24 PM

I was wondering if that had started yet.  It always amazed me how those physical therapists could be gentle in such a non-forgiving way.  Every time Dad ended up in the hospital or had another surgery he had to do pt.  He would get mad, cuss like a sailor, and do everything he could to get out of it, but he put the work in and it showed.  Mom otoh, would do the work while she was at their office, but wouldn't do any of it at home.  And it showed.  I sneaked into one of Mom's sessions once to see if I could figure out how to help her after she had knee replacement surgery.  The PT, the same man that had been wo

I was wondering if that had started yet.  It always amazed me how those physical therapists could be gentle in such a non-forgiving way.  Every time Dad ended up in the hospital or had another surgery he had to do pt.  He would get mad, cuss like a sailor, and do everything he could to get out of it, but he put the work in and it showed.  Mom otoh, would do the work while she was at their office, but wouldn't do any of it at home.  And it showed.  I sneaked into one of Mom's sessions once to see if I could figure out how to help her after she had knee replacement surgery.  The PT, the same man that had been working with Dad for years, was probably one of the kindest, most gentle men I had ever met.  He picked up on what Mom was doing, or rather NOT doing, right away and nailed her with it.  He had the patience of Job with Dad (I prayed so hard for that man!), but he knew just how to nudge Mom, while she was in the office.  A few months later, I went back in to watch Mom.  I was so frustrated with her because I knew she wasn't doing her exercises at home.  The PT told me to come in after about 10 minutes of her being in there and to just watch for a little bit before announcing my presence.  I couldn't believe it!  Even without her doing her exercises at home, he had her walking up steps, turning around, and even had her doing squats!  I wanted to cry!  I noticed that he was very gentle yet firm with her.  I sure admired his ability to know what people needed in order to help them help themselves.  It takes a special kind of person to do that kind of work.  I jokingly asked him once if he ever got frustrated and went home and beat his kids.  He looked me straight in the eye, and in all seriousness said, "no, not yet", and winked.   ;)   :lol:

I sure hope your pt is like this man, Carleen.  You too Ches.  He was a real blessing to me.
[/quote]

Kind and gentle yes, but calls me on, encourages and praises effort. That's all they ask for. Effort on our part. He is like the man you describe, but I am a motivated hard working patient, willing to go home and try to do what we do in therapy. I only want to go forward. Whatever it takes!.  The PT told me to come in after about 10 minutes of her being in there and to just watch for a little bit before announcing my presence.  I couldn't believe it!  Even without her doing her exercises at home, he had her walking up steps, turning around, and even had her doing squats!  I wanted to cry!  I noticed that he was very gentle yet firm with her.  I sure admired his ability to know what people needed in order to help them help themselves.  It takes a special kind of person to do that kind of work.  I jokingly asked him once if he ever got frustrated and went home and beat his kids.  He looked me straight in the eye, and in all seriousness said, "no, not yet", and winked.   ;)   :lol:

[/quote]

Yes  very much like that man. Very patient but focused and determined to make progress. Makes you want to go home and continue the work he did in the therapy session. He inspires motivation, yet is empathetic if you've had a bad week. He is gentle, but effective.

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 27, 2017, 08:05:37 PM
Quote from: dymphna17 on April 27, 2017, 07:48:24 PM

I was wondering if that had started yet.  It always amazed me how those physical therapists could be gentle in such a non-forgiving way.  Every time Dad ended up in the hospital or had another surgery he had to do pt.  He would get mad, cuss like a sailor, and do everything he could to get out of it, but he put the work in and it showed.  Mom otoh, would do the work while she was at their office, but wouldn't do any of it at home.  And it showed.  I sneaked into one of Mom's sessions once to see if I could figure out how to help her after she had knee replacement surgery.  The PT, the same man that had been wo

Kind and gentle yes, but calls me on, encourages and praises effort. That's all they ask for. Effort on our part. He is like the man you describe, but I am a motivated hard working patient, willing to go home and try to do what we do in therapy. I only want to go forward. Whatever it takes!.  The PT told me to come in after about 10 minutes of her being in there and to just watch for a little bit before announcing my presence.  I couldn't believe it!  Even without her doing her exercises at home, he had her walking up steps, turning around, and even had her doing squats!  I wanted to cry!  I noticed that he was very gentle yet firm with her.  I sure admired his ability to know what people needed in order to help them help themselves.  It takes a special kind of person to do that kind of work.  I jokingly asked him once if he ever got frustrated and went home and beat his kids.  He looked me straight in the eye, and in all seriousness said, "no, not yet", and winked.   ;)   :lol:

[/quote]

Yes  very much like that man. Very patient but focused and determined to make progress. Makes you want to go home and continue the work he did in the therapy session. He inspires motivation, yet is empathetic if you've had a bad week. He is gentle, but effective.
[/quote]

I don't know how you quoted me, without quoting me up there, but that was awesome!  Anyway, you must be a very good patient.  My Dad would go home and try to act as if he were already healed and Mom would go home and act as if she would never be healed, or even better.  Good for you!  I'll bet you are exhausted.
?

Carleendiane

Yes, the tired I feel is from stretching and working areas that have not been worked since my surgery. I do everything I can at home. Everything my body allows, but he knows how to get into places I don't know how to. Have you ever been in therapy dymph. If you have, you probably know what I mean. I'm certain Chris knows  :) sent you a pm, but don't feel you must respond, besides it's getting late.

Dymph, I don't even know how I did what I did!

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 27, 2017, 09:02:47 PM
Yes, the tired I feel is from stretching and working areas that have not been worked since my surgery. I do everything I can at home. Everything my body allows, but he knows how to get into places I don't know how to. Have you ever been in therapy dymph. If you have, you probably know what I mean. I'm certain Chris knows  :) sent you a pm, but don't feel you must respond, besides it's getting late.

Dymph, I don't even know how I did what I did!

You have such a great attitude about this.  Keep it up and you will be right as rain in no time flat.  I've never been in therapy.  I was supposed to go after my heart attack, but it never got coordinated with my schedule at the time.  But I've helped people do theirs at home and watched what must have been hours of it.  I don't know what it feels like, but I can just imagine.  Here you go, you've earned it;  :cheeseheadbeer: :pray3: 8)
?

Chestertonian

PT and exercises are something the nurses and my caregivers do for mr at this point there isn't much they can do but keep my joints from contracting manage pain and maintain what little movement I have left

Also keeping me able to tolerate being upright and transfers
The effort is in letting my caregivers do this egicg is hard because of my PTSD and touch aversion my therapist is good with me I have had a lot who just work so fast it overwhelms me and I ended up having a flashback

I am not the only "neurodiverse" person at he day program so the therapists are pretty good at understanding
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Carleendiane

Well.....it's not early and not late. Why don't we call that midnight? Really. Midnight is just a prelude to morning. Someone want to give me guff over that? Bird, don't you agree? Dymph? Heinrich?