go to bed

Started by Carleendiane, September 11, 2016, 01:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

christulsa

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 25, 2017, 04:25:58 PM
Open. We're open now. Just drop on in. How was your day?

Keeping as active as possible to overcome my recent health issues, per doctors' advice.   Had to stop school/work recently, but plan to finish the program, and get back to work soon. Two good walks with the dogs, ran errands, planted a vegetable garden and some flowers.  :patriot:

Carleendiane

Quote from: christulsa on April 25, 2017, 05:19:22 PM

Keeping as active as possible to overcome my recent health issues, per doctors' advice.   Had to stop school/work recently, but plan to finish the program, and get back to work soon. Two good walks with the dogs, ran errands, planted a vegetable garden and some flowers.  :patriot:

Now that's a productive day, Chris. Yes, made me sad that you had to quit, though knowing you will finish. I find gardening theraputic. I also find refinishing furniture to be theraputic. My picnic table is beautiful. Second table has been sanded, just needs the finish put on. That is very satisfying and contributes to the house and yard appearance. I'm on a roll and hope to keep up the work. Putting our garden in  is a big production. There are really two gardens. One has a variety of vegetables, another is strictly potato. We produce all needed to make our own salsa and enough potatoes to last until the middle of winter and beyond.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

christulsa

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 25, 2017, 06:17:18 PM

Now that's a productive day, Chris. Yes, made me sad that you had to quit, though knowing you will finish. I find gardening theraputic. I also find refinishing furniture to be theraputic. My picnic table is beautiful. Second table has been sanded, just needs the finish put on. That is very satisfying and contributes to the house and yard appearance. I'm on a roll and hope to keep up the work. Putting our garden in  is a big production. There are really two gardens. One has a variety of vegetables, another is strictly potato. We produce all needed to make our own salsa and enough potatoes to last until the middle of winter and beyond.

That's amazing too you're keeping busy and productive.  Did you actually make the tables yourself, or are you putting the finishing touches on them?

I'd love to have a big garden one day, but I would need more space and a tiller.  Last summer I must've spent 10 hours digging one by hand.  The kind where you take a shovel and dig up a big piece of earth and shake out the grass, one square foot at a time.  This summer that patch got some grown over with grass, I know it'd take many hours to prepare it again, so instead I used some of our flower beds.  The one right in front will have a few squash plants planted between some yellow and pink flowers--didn't pay attention to their names--and there's a big square flower bed right behind it where I planted 4 tomato plants, some zucchini seeds, and 4 eggplants.  In another bed on the side, I planted cucumbers and swiss chard (which might be too late to plant, but we'll see).

Do you have a tiller?

Carleendiane

My grandkids LOVE gardening, pulling weeds, which have very little of because we lay  paper between the rows, just old newspapers, and top them with grass clippings. All biodegradable. 
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

Yes Chris we do but hubby takes the tractor in and uses his implements to break things up and get it ready for planting. Remember this is a small farm so we have, most likely,  a lot more to work with than you, especially if you live in a subdivision or in town. You start acquiring as soon as you get the farm.   Grandkids learn quickly what is weed, what is not. They learn all the stages of growth and when to pick. It's fun for them and me!

I'm not alone in this and need help from husband, but together we get things done!

Carleendiane

Quote from: christulsa on April 25, 2017, 07:27:19 PM

That's amazing too you're keeping busy and productive.  Did you actually make the tables yourself, or are you putting the finishing touches on them?

I'd love to have a big garden one day, but I would need more space and a tiller.  Last summer I must've spent 10 hours digging one by hand.  The kind where you take a shovel and dig up a big piece of earth and shake out the grass, one square foot at a time.  This summer that patch got some grown over with grass, I know it'd take many hours to prepare it again, so instead I used some of our flower beds.  The one right in front will have a few squash plants planted between some yellow and pink flowers--didn't pay attention to their names--and there's a big square flower bed right behind it where I planted 4 tomato plants, some zucchini seeds, and 4 eggplants.  In another bed on the side, I planted cucumbers and swiss chard (which might be too late to plant, but we'll see).

Do you have a tiller?

I have dug up many gardens by hand and shovel. Now THAT is hard work. My hats off to you, many will not do that. Guess you want a garden more than they do! When I do that, well, I don't need to do that anymore, but when I did, my garden always ended up smaller than I first envisioned it, only because the work is completely exhausting!

christulsa

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 25, 2017, 07:46:14 PM
Yes Chris we do but hubby takes the tractor in and uses his implements to break things up and get it ready for planting. Remember this is a small farm so we have, most likely,  a lot more to work with than you, especially if you live in a subdivision or in town. You start acquiring as soon as you get the farm.   Grandkids learn quickly what is weed, what is not. They learn all the stages of growth and when to pick. It's fun for them and me!

I'm not alone in this and need help from husband, but together we get things done!

I think I picked up on you having a farm of some sorts with your lambs.  Growing up we had a couple acres, big enough for a huge garden most years + some chickens.  We live in a city neighborhood with small lots, but it's my dream to move out to the countryside and have a "small farm."  Basically a big garden and a few farm animals.  But that's more in my five year plan.  The wife, she is okay living in the city since it's more convenient.

Carleendiane

Quote from: christulsa on April 25, 2017, 08:12:09 PM
Quote from: Carleendiane on April 25, 2017, 07:46:14 PM

I think I picked up on you having a farm of some sorts with your lambs.  Growing up we had a couple acres, big enough for a huge garden most years + some chickens.  We live in a city neighborhood with small lots, but it's my dream to move out to the countryside and have a "small farm."  Basically a big garden and a few farm animals.  But that's more in my five year plan.  The wife, she is okay living in the city since it's more convenient.

Your 5 year plan, huh? Good for you, Chris. Life just carried us along, unfolding as we went.We lived on a wing and a prayer. Check to check, child to child. Home schooling in our minds dictated life on a farm. No one looking over our shoulders, no one to report us. Best thing that ever happened to us. Far from perfect, but close enough to know it was the right way to go. Sadly this was not before my kids had been scandalized in every way imaginable. I have kids that attended schools up to junior high and 3 that never stepped inside a school. Prior to making the decision to homeschool, my heart was closed to the prospeft. Thank God, He changed my heart and I saw the light. And now, kids are grown and I'm still on the farm. Guess I took to the lifestyl.

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 25, 2017, 08:11:39 PM
Quote from: christulsa on April 25, 2017, 07:27:19 PM

Do you have a tiller?

I have dug up many gardens by hand and shovel. Now THAT is hard work. My hats off to you, many will not do that. Guess you want a garden more than they do! When I do that, well, I don't need to do that anymore, but when I did, my garden always ended up smaller than I first envisioned it, only because the work is completely exhausting!

After years and years of digging up dirt with a shovel, hoeing it, and then using that 3 pronged looking thing to bust up clumps and smooth the dirt, he came home with a mini cultivator from a garage sale he went to on Saturday.  He looked at me sheepishly and said, "Is this what you've been asking for all these years?  I found one."  I just about cried.   :lol:   Maybe now I'll be able to get back out there with help like that.  :)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Carleendiane

Oh Dymph, I'm gonna cry. That was so sweet of him. Sure hopes it gets the job done my sweets!  Hope you sleep well tonight. Sure do.  :grouphug:

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 25, 2017, 08:57:17 PM
Oh Dymph, I'm gonna cry. That was so sweet of him. Sure hopes it gets the job done my sweets!  Hope you sleep well tonight. Sure do.  :grouphug:

It is the little things in life that get us through, isn't it?  I'm hoping and praying to hop on the sleep train soon and ride it the whole night through.  Thanks for the encouragement!   :grouphug:

I'm sure glad these picnic tables are turning out for you.  Nothing better than a job well done.   ;)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Carleendiane

Yes, they are. I have redone an entire dining room set. Table, chairs, buffet China cabinet...that was a huge job, but I got it done, for this house. We've been here 7 years. It's really looking nice. It was worth the trouble. Had a lot of potèntial.

Bernadette

I'm dying to refinish furniture! One of these days...
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

Good evening. Really. It is warm, green, and balmy. Love this. Sorry MLG, don't mean to rub it in, but it had to be said. Come on in, tell mama how your day went. Got my second coat on picnic table top. Steel wooled it to get the little bumps and hair and what not off, wiped it down and put on a generous second coat. Should get it done by tomorrow.

Now I'm eyeballing the table in the garage. An old dining room table. Back when they used varnishes that did not handle water well. Full of stains. Gonna sand it down and put a nice finish on it. I told you...I'm on a roll. See?

Carleendiane

I know it says go to bed. But, don't go now, unless you need to be up by 430. Just sayin, you'll be wandering around wondering what to do with yourself. That's usually what I get for going to sleep too early. So. Do not go to bed too early. You hear me? Besides, you'll just meet Dymphna in the 4:30 thread, wandering around. She'll want to yak and you know you won't be falling back to sleep again.