go to bed

Started by Carleendiane, September 11, 2016, 01:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

Gnomes? Are they tiny trolls or boy fairies with no wings? Are they secret service? Russian spies? Are there female gnomes? Do they mate for life, like geese? As you can see, I am at a loss as to what exactly gnomes are, but would love to know, Orate. Are they good, or bad? Tiny people? Aliens? What?

Oh, silly me, I looked back at pic and now know beyond a shadow of a doubt, there are girl gnomes. Picture don't lie.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

orate

Gnomes have historically been described as small (from a few inches to a foot or two in height) stout beings who live in Nature - usually underground.  European magicians and other mystics considered gnomes the most common and important elemental spirits of the 'Earth' element (the other three classical elements being: 'Water,' 'Fire,' and 'Air').  Gnomes were said to wear conical hats and to be able to move through the earth itself as easily as we humans walk upon it, yet if any of these underground dwellers were caught out in the daylight it was said that the rays of the Sun turned them into stone.

Sometimes gnomes were said to have magical powers to protect or punish people – or to reward them with happiness.  Gnomes are also said to be guardians of secret underground treasures – especially gold!  Even in modern times gnomes are said by some –such as the highly influential mystic Rudolph Steiner - to be involved in the hidden processes of plant life.  In fact many farms, including prize-winning vineries, follow principles based on these beliefs. 

More modern descriptions of gnomes usually emphasize their bright red pointed hats, solid colored clothes, and the long white beard of the typical male.  Though sightings of female gnomes are rarely reported, gnome women are generally thought to be beard-free.

The name 'gnome' is said to come from the Latin word 'gnomus' which is thought to possibly come from the Greek word 'gnosis' meaning "knowledge" (i.e. of hidden treasure), but is more likely rooted in the word 'genomos' meaning "earth dweller"

Gnomes are known by different names throughout different parts of Europe - for instance: they are called 'barbegazi' in Switzerland and France, 'kaukis' in Prussia, 'leprechauns' and 'clurichauns' in Ireland, 'saunatonttu' in Finland, 'nisse' or 'tomte' in Scandanavia, and 'voettir' in Iceland.  Other parts of the world have traditions about very similar creatures.  For example, in Japan magical beings such as 'bakemono,' 'yokai,' and even 'tengu' are comparable to gnomes.  In fairy tales and other European mythologies gnomes are often confused with goblins, dwarves, and even elves.   Today gnomes continue to feature in a wide variety of literature and other media - ranging from Harry Potter to South Park to even being used as the name of computer systems and aircraft engines.

http://www.justsaygnome.net/general-gnome-and-garden-gnome-information.html
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

orate

I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

orate

dymphna17

Sugar, cream, and blackberries!  Food I could live on.  As for the gnomes, thanks for all the cool information, Orate.  I had no idea their lore was spread so far and wide.  Besides seeing them in gardens, the following was about the extent of my gnome knowledge:

**I wouldn't go any further on this YouTube link than right here.  Just an fyi.**
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zc4bGkU05o[/yt]

Oh yeah, there's also this guy (I have to admit I'm a little jealous of his occupation):

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyi5TNf1kY[/yt]

Gnomes; if they aren't stealing your underpants, they're stealing your dream vacation.   :lol:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Carleendiane

We have underground tunnels all over our farm. We thought they were moles. I guess we should quit poisoning them. I found a teeny tiny hat in the yard. At first I thought it belonged to one of granddaughters stuffed animals. Now I know better, I'll shove it down into one of our tunnels.

Orate, thank you for enlightening me on this most important aspect of earthling life. I now know their presence must be respected.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

Good nite all! See you tomorrow.

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on March 30, 2017, 08:44:10 PM
We have underground tunnels all over our farm. We thought they were moles. I guess we should quit poisoning them. I found a teeny tiny hat in the yard. At first I thought it belonged to one of granddaughters stuffed animals. Now I know better, I'll shove it down into one of our tunnels.

Orate, thank you for enlightening me on this most important aspect of earthling life. I now know their presence must be respected.

I agree, Carleen.  We need to spread this information far and wide.  I wonder how many gnomes have been killed simply because few know of their existence.  We should start an awareness campaign.  We can call it PING! People's Important New Gnomes
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

dymphna17

Gooten Habem, Carleen.  May your rest be restful and dreams be dreamy!   ;)   8)
?

Carleendiane

Ok. Alright. Ok. Alright. Get Jammies on and I will beg a pic to gear our little heads towards our pillows. Yes indeed! We can read books to each other. We could start Pollyanna, in honor of the Bird. A moment of silence please......

Carleendiane

I don't know bird, the wind is about out of my sails. If you are lurking, please know we miss you. :pray2: :'(

dymphna17

I wish you weren't so sad, but I understand why you are.  Perhaps we could start a Bird novena to her patron, St Theresa.  You know, help her get through what ever it is that has taken her away from us.  We'll save her spot on the couch so it will be spiffy and not used when she returns.  What do you think?
?

Carleendiane

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 31, 2017, 08:21:49 PM
I wish you weren't so sad, but I understand why you are.  Perhaps we could start a Bird novena to her patron, St Theresa.  You know, help her get through what ever it is that has taken her away from us.  We'll save her spot on the couch so it will be spiffy and not used when she returns.  What do you think?

Thanks dymphna, just put it in go to bed or good morning and we will do this together. Yes, I am sad. But still I have confidence in Bird and Divine Providence. If there is a resolution needed I pray that it is given.

Now, I am done wearing my heart on my sleeve for all to see, I'll just tuck this one right near my heart and quit spreading my disappointment around so everyone has to bear it. Besides, bears like honey......huh?.....

Carleendiane

So, dymph, how was your day? Mine was just fine. Except for....But hey, it really was a decent day and I really am improving. How about your stupid head? If I hear bad things in your report, I will try harder to help, in ways you'll never know!

dymphna17

I'll put this the way Hubby says it when I ask him how his day went, "It wasn't terrible." or "It didn't suck."  I actually got some things done for a change!  Got all of my bills paid (I love it when I can do that!), even one I didn't like, got my laundry done, got everything I'm returning from my recent spending spree boxed up and ready to go to UPS, and got my annoying floors swept and ready to mop tomorrow.  It's amazing what you can get done when you are vertical!   :lol:  With fingers crossed,  I can report that my stupid head has been more than cooperative today.   :cheer:  Thank you for asking.  You are such a kind and sweet soul, Carleen.  We are fortunate to have you here, on our side.

I'll find a novena and post it asap.   ;)
?