go to bed

Started by Carleendiane, September 11, 2016, 01:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

I see you dymphna.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Bernadette

Today was a good day: got some important phone calls taken care of, did a load of towels, completed everything on my morning checklist, found the Precious, ate delicious ramen, listed stuff on eBay to fund the Precious. And the cat snuggled with me last night and this morning. Nothing bad in the slightest. :)
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Bernadette on March 15, 2017, 04:53:21 PM
Today was a good day: got some important phone calls taken care of, did a load of towels, completed everything on my morning checklist, found the Precious, ate delicious ramen, listed stuff on eBay to fund the Precious. And the cat snuggled with me last night and this morning. Nothing bad in the slightest. :)

A good day indeed. I made bread today and stressed my shoulder. But...I made bread.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Bernadette

Quote from: Carleendiane on March 15, 2017, 04:56:12 PM

A good day indeed. I made bread today and stressed my shoulder. But...I made bread.

But you stressed your shoulder.  :wag: Take care of yourself, Carleen!  :grouphug:
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Bernadette on March 15, 2017, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: Carleendiane on March 15, 2017, 04:56:12 PM

But you stressed your shoulder.  :wag: Take care of yourself, Carleen!  :grouphug:

I know. It was not so smart, but I didn't wreck anything. It just hurts more. BUT the bread is wonderful, if I may say so myself!

Carleendiane

See you, dymphna. Again.

Carleendiane

Love you my peeps. Tired. I just may....go to bed. Good nite. I am a complete bore tonight.

Chestertonian

sometimes it just feels good to do something "functional" and normal (for you) even if you have to recover for days afterwards

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bernadette

But I'm a worrier, Ches, especially when something involves people I love. I can't really...turn it off without serious effort.  :-\
My Lord and my God.

dymphna17

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 15, 2017, 11:50:05 PM
sometimes it just feels good to do something "functional" and normal (for you) even if you have to recover for days afterwards

This is true, but if you reinjure yourself, it's not just you that has to pay the price.  My Dad was of the mind that the sooner you could get back to normal the better.  So he refused to wear the leg braces he was supposed to wear after he had his knees replaced (yes, both at the same time).  I can't tell you how many times I had to pick him up off the floor.  He ended up having to have one of them redone.  He did the same thing after he had surgery on his shoulder to repair a torn rotator cuff.  Slings were for sissy's.  You suck up the pain and power through.  So you have to have the surgery again and when you mess that one up, you don't heal right and are in pain with it for the rest of your life.  And everyone who loves you has to suck it up and live with you being in pain for the rest of your life.  No big whoop, right?

Just one question, does the pain you cause yourself have as much value when you offer if up as the original pain did?  And I'm not talking about things like the saints wearing hair shirts or flagellating themselves.  Nor am I talking about you, Miss Carleen, so please don't take all this as being aimed at you.  Ches's statement just brought my Dad to mind.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Carleendiane

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 16, 2017, 06:15:42 AM

This is true, but if you reinjure yourself, it's not just you that has to pay the price.  My Dad was of the mind that the sooner you could get back to normal the better.  So he refused to wear the leg braces he was supposed to wear after he had his knees replaced (yes, both at the same time).  I can't tell you how many times I had to pick him up off the floor.  He ended up having to have one of them redone.  He did the same thing after he had surgery on his shoulder to repair a torn rotator cuff.  Slings were for sissy's.  You suck up the pain and power through.  So you have to have the surgery again and when you mess that one up, you don't heal right and are in pain with it for the rest of your life.  And everyone who loves you has to suck it up and live with you being in pain for the rest of your life.  No big whoop, right?

Just one question, does the pain you cause yourself have as much value when you offer if up as the original pain did?  And I'm not talking about things like the saints wearing hair shirts or flagellating themselves.  Nor am I talking about you, Miss Carleen, so please don't take all this as being aimed at you.  Ches's statement just brought my Dad to mind.

Ok. Point taken! And no to your question. I do not believe so. Just my gut feeling. I saw you last night missy.

Carleendiane

Yes. That's it Ches. Just the normal is what I wanted. Still don't think I caused damage. Dymph, I am not like dad. I hate going backwards. I am more careful than that. Even if I did do a bit much. I will be careful. Not worth the psin. Yes it was. It was. We now have 8 loaves of great bread. Plus it was just so useful. Ches knows.

dymphna17

See, I knew you were going to think that was about you, Carleen.  It really wasn't.  Did you need someone to come in and do the things you were doing before over exerting yourself yesterday?  I don't think so.  My Dad was an extreme case and I know that.  I've just always wondered about offering up pain you caused yourself like he did.  Your situation may have brought the question back up for me but I was not referring to you specifically, dearheart.  I would have been shocked if you had done that. 
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Bernadette

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 16, 2017, 07:35:51 AM
I've just always wondered about offering up pain you caused yourself like he did.

I can't think why you couldn't. Plus, you'd have all of the...cringe-factor of knowing that you did it to yourself. Very humbling, potentially very helpful in the spiritual life, as well as the mundane. But I'm of the opinion that the pain would indeed be "worth" more, if one actually put it to good use and learned from it. Like Carleen did. ;) Just a thought.
My Lord and my God.

Chestertonian

for the past few years, I could not play piano without major pain and exhaustion  felt like my hands were on fire.  sometimes i would get so wrapped up in the music that I would sort of dissociate from the pain but usuallycouldnt playfor too long,and my repertoire got more and more limited

thenfor awhile I would do piano time with myson starting when he was very little, started teaching him at 3he usedto love sitting on my lap and watching me play and adding his own "interpretation" but much of the time he would just sit there watching me then sometimes i would playthings and he would mimc what i played...  also we play a lot of piano music aroundthe house, which is what we encourage with suzuki method

got to the point where doing that used to wear me out, when it happened it was special and then at the end my hands were on fire and couldt barely move them now it is at the pointwhere i cant teach him or play much of anything and he has lessons with someone else

Hard not being able to give this little guy what I was able to give my first son a bit sad that i cant do this with my younger son,but my older one is progressing very well in his lessons so at least he will grow up watching his older brother play. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"