go to bed

Started by Carleendiane, September 11, 2016, 01:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MundaCorMeum

If it's on Sunday, I would do my best to contribute.  I usually give up all unnecessary Internet usage during Lent.  I particularly like the Saint bio idea

Bernadette

Quote from: Carleendiane on February 23, 2017, 08:22:42 PM
Quote from: dymphna17 on February 23, 2017, 08:14:06 PM
So, what are we looking to do for Lent?  Any ideas?  We start getting the place all spruced up and then we have to go into Lent.  Penelope's decorating thread has inspired me.  We need a wall that we can build an altar on, maybe  each on bring in a picture or statue of something that raises your hearts to God.  A place where you can come and do a 15 minute meditation.  Maybe that should be over at my place.  These are just thoughts.  What do you think?

Yes, a good and holy post. LENT requires a plan. This will be proper and good. Maybe we can bring in some holy pictures , statues, holy reading material we can read and bounce off one another. Get holy. Get holier during the season. How many completely abide by the old calendar fasts and abstinence.

St. Teresa of Avila and Julian of Norwich, with a little St. Therese thrown in the mix, too. There, that's my contribution. And I'm giving up dessert and internet "window-shopping."

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on February 23, 2017, 08:58:40 PM
If it's on Sunday, I would do my best to contribute.  I usually give up all unnecessary Internet usage during Lent.

Ooh, this sounds better. I gave up the internet one year, and it was a positive experience all around.
My Lord and my God.

martin88nyc

[/quote]
Ooh, this sounds better. I gave up the internet one year, and it was a positive experience all around.
[/quote]

This equals to almost an impossibility.  ;D
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: martin88nyc on February 23, 2017, 09:12:16 PM

[/quote]

This equals to almost an impossibility.  ;D
[/quote]

Thus why I placed my "unnecessary" qualifier in there ;)

Kaesekopf

If it's on Sunday, I would do my best to contribute.  I usually give up all unnecessary Internet usage during Lent.  I particularly like the Saint bio idea

>implying SD is unnecessary Internet use
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dymphna17

We can each be on the opposite side of the barrier flag.  We need to see who wants to do what physically and what they want to do spiritually.  Maybe make up a chart  . 

For reading through out - I'm going to be reading Self Knowledge and Self Discipline by Fr. BW Maturin.

For reading (whether that would be personal or not)meditations - St Alphonsus de Liguori's The Passion and the Death of Jesus Christ.

And last but certainly not least - Saints for Sinners - this would be good for discussion about a saint that has inspired it.

For fasting I used to take it very seriously, then I became an insulin dependent diabetic. Now I can fast only in certain increments, if it doesn't meet certain benefits to my doctor she ignores.  So, I have to eat something at least once an hour.  I have to eat with this med, so that coordinates with mealtime for everybody else.

I love this idea! It can help us to help each other.  The wins, just. keep.  coming.

?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Non Nobis

Maybe we should create a "Lent" (or "Ideas for Lent" or something) thread and copy some of the posts from here over there.  Good ideas might otherwise be lost in this light "go to bed" thread, especially for those who don't follow it.

They are still good ideas, wherever they are.  I just thought I was in the wrong thread for a moment!

And yes it is time for me to go to bed. 
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

dymphna17

This is part of my lenten ritual as well:

Christ is ready, but only because He has too.

For those of us who have a hard time sitting down and reading books due to the lack of being able to concentrate on these things, KSMK-LP, the radio station out of St Marys might help.  Besides fitting music for the season, they have all the prayers, well, let me show you; 
QuoteOn Air Today
00:00 - 03:00   Evening Solitude
03:00 - 04:00   3am Rosary
04:00 - 06:00   Chant
06:00 - 07:00   Friday Prime and Mass
07:00 - 08:00   Travel Rosary
08:00 - 09:00   Morning Conference
09:00 - 10:00   Classical Mix
10:00 - 11:00   Children's Hour
11:00 - 12:00   Classical Mix
12:00 - 13:00   Midday Conference
13:00 - 14:00   Midday Rosary

Everyone does things differently, so they may have ideas about things that will help you get through the day.  Maybe saying the rosary with other people will make you not lose your place and become frustrated or maybe listening to the conferences will make a difference for you.  I have no doubt that the conferences will be extremely beneficial for our souls. No, I was not paid for that spot.  I worked up there for a while and it was alot of fun.

Anyway, these were just a few ideas.   8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 23, 2017, 09:49:36 PM

>implying SD is unnecessary Internet use
Hahaha....it is  ;). I come here because I choose to, not because I have to.  It's a sacrifice to give it up.  Take that for the compliment it is   :)

Carleendiane

Might as well, done cha think? I dunno anymore. Sometimes it's busy sometimes not. But who cares....OOOPPEEEENNNN!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Bernadette on February 22, 2017, 07:57:02 PM
Quote from: orate on February 22, 2017, 07:43:53 PM
How about something like this.

I could picture it with both coffee cups in the am and wine glasses in the pm.

How clever! It's like a window, put on top of a box with legs!  :P

Maybe an akavit can make us a nice one
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Carleendiane

Quote from: Chestertonian on February 24, 2017, 05:42:17 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on February 22, 2017, 07:57:02 PM
Quote from: orate on February 22, 2017, 07:43:53 PM
How about something like this.

I could picture it with both coffee cups in the am and wine glasses in the pm.

How clever! It's like a window, put on top of a box with legs!  :P

Maybe an akavit can make us a nice one

"He's I asked him twice. He has no time. Anyway this one is gifted from Orate. Since it is virtual, it is unbreakable, but thanks for pulling it out.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

Quote from: dymphna17 on February 24, 2017, 03:04:02 AM
This is part of my lenten ritual as well:

Christ is ready, but only because He has too.

For those of us who have a hard time sitting down and reading books due to the lack of being able to concentrate on these things, KSMK-LP, the radio station out of St Marys might help.  Besides fitting music for the season, they have all the prayers, well, let me show you; 
QuoteOn Air Today
00:00 - 03:00   Evening Solitude
03:00 - 04:00   3am Rosary
04:00 - 06:00   Chant
06:00 - 07:00   Friday Prime and Mass
07:00 - 08:00   Travel Rosary
08:00 - 09:00   Morning Conference
09:00 - 10:00   Classical Mix
10:00 - 11:00   Children's Hour
11:00 - 12:00   Classical Mix
12:00 - 13:00   Midday Conference
13:00 - 14:00   Midday Rosary

Everyone does things differently, so they may have ideas about things that will help you get through the day.  Maybe saying the rosary with other people will make you not lose your place and become frustrated or maybe listening to the conferences will make a difference for you.  I have no doubt that the conferences will be extremely beneficial for our souls. No, I was not paid for that spot.  I worked up there for a while and it was alot of fun.

Anyway, these were just a few ideas.   8)

I love the image you used dymph. A favorite lent picture.

Carleendiane

OPEN!!!! OPEN FOR COMPANY!!!!! I'm still here to open up sez me!

Bernadette

I went to the grocery store today, Carleen, and saw all of the Easter plush in the seasonal aisle. There were huge, fat plush lambs. :) Unpleasantly unrealistic, though. :(
My Lord and my God.