"Waiting for the Apocalypse" discussion group

Started by Mono no aware, August 30, 2016, 11:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

Quote from: Chestertonian on September 01, 2016, 07:08:33 PMbut uou were supposed to bring the sandwiches!!!!

Yes, I know.  It's a lame default on my part, and I truly am sorry.  I do hope some sort of discussion of the book moves forward.  I'm certainly still interested in reading people's impressions, and plan to read the book myself—but just not right now, and not as a participant in a book club.

Congratulations on your new baby, by the way.  "Samuel Elias" is a fine name.

Lydia Purpuraria

I just received my copy today, but haven't started reading it yet.  Will check in here to see if/when any activity begins taking place.

And I agree, Samuel Elias is a very fine name. 

Jacafamala

I have mixed feelings about the book. I have to admit that I frown upon the author for publishing a book that altogether dishonors her father and mother. For that reason alone, I hope no one actually buys a new copy of the book because she doesn't deserve to get the royalties.

So, I don't admire her in any way. That said, I do sympathize with her in many of the tragically funny, painfully honest situations she presents. In the end though, she left the faith and for that she has no one but herself to blame. It's also kind of interesting to see how things were, as Jubi put it in a recent thread, "back in the day."

The takeaway for me: keep both feet on the ground! Watch my children and household. Don't place too much emphasis on solving all the answers to end times prophecies. Don't be paying attention to every shoot from the hip unbelievable statement that the is pope saying next. God won't hold me responsible for the state of the Church, but for the welfare of my home and children. 

If anyone wants the book, and is willing to send a self addressed stamped envelope, pm me. I'd be happy to give you my copy.
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

Bernadette

Never mind, nothing to see here.  :pigeons:
My Lord and my God.

Jacob

I finished the book today.  Looking forward to when the discussion starts on the 20th.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Jacob

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Chestertonian

i have not finished it, still about 1/3 way through

got the DAISY book 2 wweeks ago and takes awhile to finish. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Jacob

I'm going to start off with a few comments.  If anyone wants to jump in, feel free.  Hopefully we can move along with some questions and impressions and personal experiences and so on and not have to burden anyone with coming up with a structure and all that.

I'd just like to also point out that my comments are about the people as they are represented in the book.

I think Veronica sets the tone of the book by early on describing dinner with her father at the end of the table.  By time that things get going in the book, the Spirit of Vatican II is in full swing and the Arnold family is being squeezed out of parish life.  Mom and Dad are not happy and Dad is searching for a parish.  Dad needs (almost pathologically it seems?) to explain the situation to the family over the dinner table.  Mom realizes Dad's explanation is a /bit/ over the heads of the children.  But it's the only way, Dad asserts.

Is it?  Veronica was only ten, all her brothers and sisters were younger except for Terri who was only eleven or twelve.  For those of you who grew up in Trad families or have families of your own, what is best practice in your mind for broaching the topic when children reach a certain age and what is that age?
--Neal Stephenson