Rhyming words and accents

Started by Penelope, January 01, 2013, 11:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lateran

No doubt about it. They rhyme. And, fwiw, cot and caught are pronounced exactly the same.  :P

tmw89

To clarify:  the second syllables of the words rhyme, not the first syllables.
aw-sum / pahh-sum

Also:

Quote from: Lateran on January 02, 2013, 01:34:04 PMAnd, fwiw, cot and caught are pronounced exactly the same.  :P

For me, cahht (pronounced quickly) / cawt (takes a little longer to pronounce than cot)
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Penelope

Quote from: tmw89 on January 02, 2013, 01:38:40 PM
aw-sum / pahh-sum

Also:

Quote from: Lateran on January 02, 2013, 01:34:04 PMAnd, fwiw, cot and caught are pronounced exactly the same.  :P

For me, cahht (pronounced quickly) / cawt (takes a little longer to pronounce than cot)

Cue a post from Pæniteo stating how your attempt to spell phonetically is worthless.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Penelope on January 02, 2013, 04:37:58 PM
aw-sum / pahh-sum

Also:

Cue a post from Pæniteo stating how your attempt to spell phonetically is worthless.

I think we understand what he means. His lack of meaningful symbolism and explanation of vowel qualities is compensated with how the words in question are likely to be pronounced in various English accents.

Lateran

aw-sum / pahh-sum

Also:

Well maybe, but....... here it's aw-sum and paw-sum -- therefore both syllables rhyme. Heaven's forbid, if'en that paw-son is named Lawson!  :P

You don't even want to know about the word "Creek!"