Padre Pio and the TLM, Novus Ordo, etc..

Started by drummerboy, February 18, 2014, 06:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

So, maybe this has been discussed here before, but the whole thing with the FFI being prohibited from saying the TLM has got me wondering again, esp. because of Fr. Manelli's personal connections with the Padre.

But what did Padre Pio do with the new mass?  I hear that he refused to say it, and that he received permission to use the Mass of the Immaculate Conception.  But then there's the famous video footage of him saying mass pro populum.  And I've never had any solid evidence for either side.  Any one here got the scoop?
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

VeraeFidei

Quote from: drummerboy on February 18, 2014, 06:32:16 PM
So, maybe this has been discussed here before, but the whole thing with the FFI being prohibited from saying the TLM has got me wondering again, esp. because of Fr. Manelli's personal connections with the Padre.

But what did Padre Pio do with the new mass?  I hear that he refused to say it, and that he received permission to use the Mass of the Immaculate Conception.  But then there's the famous video footage of him saying mass pro populum.  And I've never had any solid evidence for either side.  Any one here got the scoop?
He died before he would have had to pray it - died in 1968. The infamous video is likely him praying the 1967 Missal - close to the new order in certain respects, but I believe retained the traditional consecration and propers, etc.

bben15

Padre Pio didn't refuse to say the Novus Ordo because he couldn't have. He died in 1968.

Padre Pio was a very holy man, and obedient to the Church. It is unlikely that he would have refused to say the Novus Ordo if he had died a few years later.

He seemed to accept the changes well. He used the 1965 Missal, even though the 1962 Missal was allowed.