The Sistine Chapel choir in 1925 sucked

Started by The Harlequin King, September 10, 2013, 12:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Harlequin King

One of my Facebook friends shared this sample from the Sistine Chapel choir in 1925. It's just horrific to listen to.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiauDE4kApM&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

By contrast, this is more what it's supposed to sound like:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NNYF0y825s[/yt]

Basilios

The choir master is the best part of the 2nd vid. Big and jolly and having a ball!

But yeah, big difference. If the Sistine Chapel choir was a more recent version, though, I'm sure it'd sound a bit better.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Basilios on September 10, 2013, 02:06:52 PM
But yeah, big difference. If the Sistine Chapel choir was a more recent version, though, I'm sure it'd sound a bit better.

Only a bit, sadly. Pope Benedict invited the Westminster Abbey choir to sing with the Sistine choir not too long ago, and the Anglicans really showed up the local talent, in my opinion. It was embarrassing.

Furthermore, my friend said that in an 18th century tour guide, the author actually wrote that the Sistine choir wasn't worth hearing. So this is apparently not a new phenomenon.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: The Harlequin King on September 10, 2013, 02:31:28 PM
Quote from: Basilios on September 10, 2013, 02:06:52 PM

Only a bit, sadly. Pope Benedict invited the Westminster Abbey choir to sing with the Sistine choir not too long ago, and the Anglicans really showed up the local talent, in my opinion. It was embarrassing.

Anglicans IMO do have the best modern choirs.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Larry

The second is undoubtedly better than the Sistine choir. But remember that recording equipment was pretty lousy in the 1920's. It would probably sound better if modern, state of the art recording devices were used.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Pheo

There's only so much that you can blame on recording equipment.  I have old piano recordings that don't sound great superficially, but the quality of the performance still comes through.

They're not using the right timbre for polyphony.  And way too much vibrato.  They sound like carolers - not that there's anything wrong with that, but it doesn't suit this song.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Jacafamala

Still better than "Eagles Wings" or "Gather Us In". You have to pick your problems sometimes.  ;)
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

Armor of Light

Quote from: Jacafamala on September 13, 2013, 05:20:13 PM
Still better than "Eagles Wings" or "Gather Us In". You have to pick your problems sometimes.  ;)

Amen, Sis!

My stupid brother played "Ave Maria" at my dads funeral mass last year. On the saxophone. Badly.
If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned.

Thomas à Kempis

ImperialGuardsman

Quote from: Larry S. on September 13, 2013, 09:49:05 AM
The second is undoubtedly better than the Sistine choir. But remember that recording equipment was pretty lousy in the 1920's. It would probably sound better if modern, state of the art recording devices were used.

Well, 1925 was the first year of electric recording (at least with the major record companies in the US).  That being said, those early recordings are often very clear, lound, and have a nice warm quality to them.  Edison's acoustic process of recording (no electricity, no microphone) lasted through 1926 and has brilliant sound.  The recording posted here seems pretty weak though.  The preformance isn't too good either. 
"One would be straying from the straight path were he to wish the altar restored to its primitive tableform; were he to want black excluded as a color for the liturgical vestments; were he to forbid the use of sacred images and statues in Churches...and lastly were he to disdain and reject polyphonic music or singing in parts, even where it conforms to regulations issued by the Holy See." - Ven. Pope Pius XII

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--  (Stolen from EcceQuamBonum's signature)

America, that great bastion of the Enlightenment, is the destroyer of all religions.--LouisIX

bben15

The second one is definitely better. The first one sounds like a national anthem.

Dextimus

Quote from: The Harlequin King on September 10, 2013, 12:04:25 PM
One of my Facebook friends shared this sample from the Sistine Chapel choir in 1925. It's just horrific to listen to.

but who am I to judge? :P
Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests behave like priests, your bishops, like bishops, and your religious like religious. (Ven. Peter John Fulton Sheen)

dymphnaw

"Sucked" is an insult because it refers to fellatio.

Mr.Crowley

I think it sounds charming myself. Obviously it's an extremely poor quality recording, not even comparable to a phone ringtone from 10 years ago, but it sounds like a nice choir. I can sort of imagine a bunch of nice little Italian folks being all rustic and stuff. It's really cute and not an overwhelming wall of sound like the second one. I reckon modern choirs try to sound like what they think choirs should sound like, if ye get me.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on December 26, 2013, 10:07:33 AM
I think it sounds charming myself. Obviously it's an extremely poor quality recording, not even comparable to a phone ringtone from 10 years ago, but it sounds like a nice choir. I can sort of imagine a bunch of nice little Italian folks being all rustic and stuff. It's really cute and not an overwhelming wall of sound like the second one. I reckon modern choirs try to sound like what they think choirs should sound like, if ye get me.

And I suppose Jar Jar was a charming addition to the Star Wars franchise too?

Mr.Crowley

Quote from: The Harlequin King on December 26, 2013, 05:40:05 PM
And I suppose Jar Jar was a charming addition to the Star Wars franchise too?

I... I l-liked him  :hide: